I’m new to this!!

Eddie

Registered
What a beautiful little bird 💕 Welcome from another newbie! Look forward to seeing more of you

Michael Reynolds

I noticed on the shout that you are having a few minor problems in his behavior regarding biting and wish for advice, can you explain just when he bites and what action you take?

Mangothekak

Registered
I noticed on the shout that you are having a few minor problems in his behavior regarding biting and wish for advice, can you explain just when he bites and what action you take?
he usually bites when I go to change the water and sometimes I let him out which he likes. But he’ll be out for about 20 minutes and suddenly will become aggressive trying to attack everything in his way. Which at this point I tell him to “go bed” which sometimes he does but not very often as if is still a new trick. If he doesn’t respond to the command I grab a step up stick, as he’s not fully comfortable going on the hand yet. But he became very aggressive from one day to the other and I’m not sure why🥴😂please help.

Michael Reynolds

I have never had a problem with my Kaks regarding attacking me I will tag @Roz for her thoughts. at first I was thinking he was just being cage protective, I do know that one cause is these birds live in the fast lane they will be very active then need to sleep for a short time. I supply a nest box for them to go in during the day so they can rest properly and I never disturb them they will come out when they have rested enougth

Roz

Thank you, Michael for tagging me.

Sounds like he is possessive about his water bowl. Is this something recent or has he always been like this about the water? Is there any way you could work round it? Like change the water when he is out of his cage? I know that is not always convenient, but you have to remember that the more he bites the more he is learning to bite in that situation. So if you can diffuse the situation as quickly as possible it will help in the long run. Another option which will take longer, is to teach him to target: You could ask him to station (which is also targeting) on a particular perch away from the water (maybe for a treat if they are reinforcing for him?) whilst you go in and change the water.

As for the attacking after about 20 minutes, can you notice next time he does it, exactly what sets him off? Could it be you walking towards him? Eye contact? Someone taking something away from him? Please could you explain in observable terms what you mean when he tries "to attack everything in his way" so that we can picture it?

Also think about what is reinforcing the attacks? What does he get from them? Could it be that it drives you away? Could it be his way of saying he wants attention since you then approach him to put him to bed? Could it be that he wants to go back into his cage since that is what the consequence is?

Is it possible to ignore the attacks by just not getting in his way and leaving him alone without putting him back into his cage?

Hormones may be playing a part in this. Kakarikis are sexually mature at 5 months old. If it is hormones, personally I would remove all access to small, dark places which could encourage nesting behaviour and result in increased aggression.

What is his diet like?

Training using positive reinforcement is a fabulous way to build a bond between you. Teaching the bird to target something like the end of a wooden chopstick is one of the easiest behaviours to start with. It looks like he has no problem taking treats from you which is great! Now get him to work for his treats. This is the best video I have seen to teach target training, first posted by Roy here:

Top Bottom