1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I’m A New Parrot Owner... Need Advice

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Bonnie, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Regular Member Registered

i have a Jenday Conure, it’s 4 months old...
    it’s bonded well to me, I’ve only had him over a week... he comes for cuddles, is confident and never gets shaken up by noises...
    But I’m just concerned... he doesn’t play with his toys, I’ve even sat for hours showing him how to play with them, showing my happiness and excitement to them... he’s just disinterested and walks away looking elsewhere...
    He never wants to be in his cage and just wants to be huddled up in my neck... I’m concerned he’s bored as when he’s not doing this he walks around chirping as such but looking for something..
    any advice would be great!!

2. RoyJess

RoyJess Regular Member

Don't worry or fuss too much. My macaw don't play with her toys. I just encourage more natural behaviour by encouraging my parrots to forage for their food.

Bonnie likes this.
  3. Bonnie

I might try and hide some food around, he will only eat apple, grapes and his seed too, he’s not taking to any other fruit or veg so far, is this normal?

4. RoyJess

RoyJess Regular Member

It can take time, sometimes years for them to each their fruit and veg, especially if they were only given seeds as a baby. My Missy prefers fruit. Our other birds prefer the veg. Just keep offering it to them daily ( I alternate between fruit and veg daily) but don't fuss over it.

This video will help you with foraging

Take a look around this site for foraging ideas

http://www.parrotenrichment.com/home.html

Bonnie likes this.
  5. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi Bonnie and :welcome: to the forum, my Blue Crowned Conure was never a great fan of toys, he did like to chew pine or balsa wood small blocks...and over time your little chap may decide he likes them. If he hasn’t been used to toys from a youngster before he came to you, then That may have some bearing on his behaviour. It also takes a while for them to adapt to different things in their diet too. Have you tried sugar snap peas, they are always a favourite here, also sweet corn kernels, strawberries, also small pieces of walnut or pecan, pistachio and almond. Pomegranate is liked by most birds too.

Bonnie likes this.
  6. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Love the video except the point he raises about keeping the bird on the tree, Do not clip wings. your bird will forage on the tree all the time no other food source is available,

Bonnie and RoyJess like this.
  7. Bonnie

These are fantastic responses ☺️ Thank you so much! I’m definitely going to try these ideas out as he isn’t interested in his toys and I want to make sure he’s not getting bored! I just hope he takes to more food other than apple and grapes over time! I’ll persist in offering them to him! ☺️ Thank you again!

TomsMum likes this.
  8. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: from me and my flock. Good advice given, do keep us up to date.:thumbsup:

Bonnie likes this.
  9. Michael Reynolds

Hello and welcome Bonnie, I have a Jenday called Lou Lou

Bonnie likes this.
  10. Bonnie

I’ve been looking for some foraging trees and I can’t seem to find where to get one... any ideas? Thank you in advance! x

11. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You could make one yourself @Heather2131 made a lovely one for her birds.

You need a bucket, various tree branches in differing sizes (like apple /willow /hazel - those that are on the safe to use list.)
    Scrub them well and and arrange them in the bucket, tie together with cable ties or a good string, fix in the bucket with a cement type mix. You can make it to whatever size you want i.e. table top or to stand on the floor. Then tie toys, and things to do from it. @Bonnie

Bonnie, Michael Reynolds and TomsMum like this.
  12. Bonnie

That’s my plan for the weekend then wish me luck lmao!
    Thank you x

dianaT and TomsMum like this.
  13. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

Dora was hand reared and then brought up in a pet shop and had 2 toys in her cage. She apparently had a sibling who was sold and it seems she used to sit behind the till watching things going on. Now she will play with home made foraging toys ( a small basket of buttons with a few sunflower or other seeds hidden in is a favourite) and occasionally have a bash at a bell or other "toy", but spends most of her time being velcoed to me and watching what is going on.

14. RoyJess

RoyJess Regular Member

Our foraging bowls are fitted to the inside of our cages

Bonnie likes this.
  15. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Bonnie likes this.
  16. Bonnie

Thank you for the response! You’ve all been so helpful and supportive.. I’ve got some work to do lol!!

Michael Reynolds, TomsMum and dianaT like this.
  17. Michael Reynolds

IMG_0345.JPG it will be nice to see how you get on with the tree, what is your birds name? we love photos, this is my Lou Lou

Bonnie likes this.
  18. Roz

Roz Regular Member

:welcome: Bonnie! Yes, keep on offering fresh food. The brighter colours are usually more vitamin and mineral rich. If he is so attached to you, try eating some yourself and then offering him some. Birds are flock creatures so eating together may entice him to try more things.

Bonnie likes this.
  19. Bonnie

That’s a good idea... I might try and encourage him to eat that way... I feel he’s going to be fussy like me the little rascal lol!
    I’m going to get straight on building some sort of tree at the weekend... no judgements if it goes horribly wrong please lmao!

This is Boo, he likes peel-a-boo hence the name lol!

Attached Files:

dianaT likes this.
  20. Roz

Roz Regular Member

As long as Boo likes it, it won't be horribly wrong! Ha, my budgie was called Boo too. :biggrin:
    Awwwwww he's very cute!! :emoji_heart:

Bonnie likes this.