How often should i bath my grey?

Lauraj

Registered
Good morning everybody!

Just a quick one on bathing Bo, my grey. I have had Bo for 2 weeks now and I have sprayed him down twice (neither time he wanted to be soaked through he walked away from me). Just struggling to see the signs with Bo for when he wants a bath etc.

My little guy Alfie loves getting a bath every opportunity he can, he will sit on his water bowl and chirp until i take him to the sink and he has a brilliant time when he is there. He is currently in malt and wants to bath more which we do.

Bo is my concern because either he shows no signs of wanting a bath or im missing them, i was told greys need to bath more than other parrots due to the dust they create? Bo currently isn't comfortable to be taken away from his cage and be sprayed but allows me to do it when he is inside his cage.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Yellowchickenparrot

Staff member
I have to spray one of my birds in the cage as that's what she likes. I bath mine once or twice a week but that's just what I do so hopefully more advice will be given soon.

Michael Reynolds

Good morning Lauraj, I bath my birds two to three times a week, I use room temperature water or slightly warmer. I find my greys love sprays and when they get soaked they do enjoy the spray. mine start hanging upside down with there wings open. getting a bird used to being sprayed it is best to make it a exciting game, never try to use spray as a punishment this is the worst mistake that I have come across with unknowing parrot keepers. I do add some Aloe Vera in the water once a week.

Lauraj

Registered
That's a good idea! What type of aloe Vera? Is it an oil that can be added? I suppose this will help with his feathers growing back in and ease itching?

The first time i sprayed him he got scared, so im assuming that he's never experienced this before. I sprayed him and made a big deal of it in a good way and this time he was flapping his wings against the bars and seemed to enjoy it more.

I used warm water and although my living room is large i shut the door to keep the heat in for him to dry out. If anything i found this morning he ate more fruit and veggies after getting sprayed!

Thank you for the advice!

Michael Reynolds

Never spray late in the evening, you want your bird to be dry before its time to sleep. trying to get pure Aloe juice can be difficult I know there is a link on this site that I used last

Top Bottom