How Do I Get The To Eat Veg

rita1

my two caique will not eat veg, they love fruit and will eat a small bit of toast in the morning, potato they will eat also.
but they will not touch their veg, how do you get them to eat veg.
any advice will be a great help.
they are like little children refusing to eat any veg.

Will they join in if you sit down eating some, they may be curious to come & look and try?

Are you cooking it or giving it raw?

Sometimes I mash it up together, broccoli, carrots, mash it with a fork then mash up a raspberry in it
Or you can mash up a banana in it but that doesn't take long to go brown

Have you tried them with bell peppers? Archie likes bell peppers and I give him the inside bit covered in seeds too

Have you tried sweetcorn?

Don't give them fruit alongside the veg or they will just ignore the veg
Give them the veg, you can mix in the the juice from a fruit which might tempt them to eat it

Have you tried hand feeding them it? Sometimes Archie won't eat something so I'll have it on my finger and he'll lick it off
Just to start him off so he knows it's yummy

I think Archie prefers it cooked and mashed up soft, but he will eat whole foods too so just try different things

Caiques are naturally fruit eaters so it's no surprise they favour those :) I've had success grating broccoli florets with the smallest bit of the grater so that they look like tiny green seeds. Watercress goes down well because the leaves are bite size. Another thing you can do is clip veggie leaves from the cage with a clothes pin and let them go at it as if it were a toy. Try those kabob things where you stick chunks of veggies, or try sprouting some beans and pulses!

thank you for your help everyone, some great advice. i did cook the veg but not tried mashing it up with some juice.
have tried sprouted seeds but they ignore this. they will eat anything fruit, they adore fruit.
as they like mashed potato i will try mixing it with some veg and see how that goes.
bless them.

Reactions: Roz
Mine will all eat veg, but again I dont give them any fruit in the mornings ( when they are at their hungriest). They get a good mix in their morning food bowl, lots of colour and variety, but very little fruit.

I wouldnt worry too much about veg providing you are supplying nutrients via a very high quality pellet. Seed doesnt count

Back
Top Bottom