1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Can Stop My Parrot From Biting My Husbund

Discussion in 'Training' started by Dexterafrican grey, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Dexterafrican grey

Dexterafrican grey Regular Member Registered

Hi I'm new on this forum , Dexter is 7 months old and a real cutie but as he's growing he's getting naughty , he's bonded with me and my youngest son , but oldest son and my husbund he's started landing on them and nipping , I want him to be friends with all of us , the nipping is not bad at the moment , has anybody any ideas ? .Also I would like to train him to do tricks how do I go about this

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: It sounds like Dexter is testing things out, they all do it.
    Is he your first parrot.
    Have a look under the Training thread and Behaviour one as it's a subject covered many times, so many members go through this.
    @Roz may have a little more to add which may help. Good luck.
    Can we have a photo of dear Dexter as we love photos :thumbsup:

Roz likes this.
  3. Dexterafrican grey

He really is cheeky An getting mischievous , but we all love him , we've had him from 12weeks old hand reared , he's my first African grey , but I've had cockatiels , canaries , An a budgie , thought I'd give this big guy a go lol , I like a challenge

Attached Files:

Roz likes this.
  4. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

Is that a standard poodle?
    We have a Labradoodle

Dexter's a cutie and welcome to the forum :welcome: you'll get lots of help and advice here

Dexterafrican grey likes this.
  5. Dexterafrican grey

It is a standard , his name is Harvey he's 13 this month a real sweetie , we also have a Airedale called oska who's 7 , here they both are best of buddies , but dexter rules the day with them both lol

Attached Files:

Roz likes this.
  6. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wow rarely see Airedales these days.

7. Dexterafrican grey

Seem to have started a bit of a trend of in our area .

8. Heather2131

IMG_20170322_142501_268-1560x1560.jpg
    There's Daisy our Labradoodle, she's very much like a poodle when her face is shaved

We've also got a black lab

Roz, dianaT and bikergirl Carol like this.
  9. bikergirl Carol

bikergirl Carol Regular Member

10. Dexterafrican grey

Hello , Thks for accepting me .

bikergirl Carol likes this.
  11. Dexterafrican grey

12. Dexterafrican grey

Wow she's s cutie , how do they get on with your bird .

13. Dexterafrican grey

Do you own an African grey ?

14. Roz

Roz Elected Forum Trainer Regular Member

:welcome: Dexter's mum! Loving all the pics of the dogs and Dexter. :D

It's definitely better to address Dexter's biting before it becomes a real problem. If a behaviour continues or increases then it is being reinforced somehow. Can you identify what is reinforcing the biting ie. what is Dexter getting from it? Drama reward? Your husband/son leaves? I'm just tossing in guesses here. If you can figure out why, then it can help figure out how to remove the reinforcement for this unwanted behaviour.

If there is a particular situation or time that you know Dexter is going to fly to them (eg. when one of them enters a room) you can cue another behaviour from Dexter instead and heavily reinforce. It is better if the behaviour is already known so no time is wasted in learning. So for example just BEFORE your husband enters the room you could cue Dexter to come to you, or give him a toy to play with or whatever other behaviour he already knows, and HEAVILY reinforce (reward if you like) with whatever Dexter finds reinforcing - your attention? A treat? A particular toy? A pen top? etc... I am just updating the pinned thread about Reinforcement now. It will be up this weekend.

Re tricks - they are very easy to teach. Again all to do with reinforcing the behaviour you want to see. Using a process called Shaping you can teach anything you want from targeting to turning circles to holding feet still so you can clip toenails. Shaping is breaking down the target behaviour (for example targeting) into tiny manageable steps. Each of those steps builds on the last and is reinforced by whatever Dexter finds reinforcing... eg. treat, head scratch, etc. Targeting is a good one to start with as it is simple. It's teaching the bird to target an object (I usually use a chopstick) with a part of his body - beak or foot. It's a good introduction to the bird for him to learn if this happens (touching the target) then this happens (he gets a treat). Once that principle is learned you can move on to more complicated "tricks". In the Step Up (back to basics) thread, you can see how Shaping works to teach a step up onto a hand held perch:

https://theparrotclub.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/shaping-the-step-up-back-to-basics.21349/

DizzyBlue, Stinkie and dianaT like this.
  15. Heather2131

They get on okay, when Daisy was a puppy she would stare at Archie non stop and he didn't like that so now he hates her, he'll fly to attack her and I have to be careful as Daisy hates that and she looks up and cowers down and her mouth is open so I'm not sure if she would bite him, both dogs are very gentle though
    Becky the Labrador totally ignores him and Archie ignores her, he sits on her head sometimes

Would never leave them unsupervised

16. Dexterafrican grey

Lol , yes my boy were very curious An would run an stare at him , but now they are very wary lol , Dexter has tried to sit on the standards head but I don't trust him that much , he is very gentle but would never leave in supervised .

Heather2131 likes this.
  17. Kerin

Kerin Regular Member

Welcome to you and your lovely dogs and Dexter. He's gorgeous isn't he, young birds are so very lovely, they just melt your heart :biggrin:

Dexterafrican grey likes this.
  18. Dexterafrican grey

Thk you kerin , he is a real sweetie , I'm hoping I can train him to do his potty in the same place , have had any luck with this ?

19. Heather2131

I've seen YouTube videos about potty training if you haven't looked at them already

20. Dexterafrican grey

Fab I'll check them out heather .