Homemade Forage Pouch

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Thought I would share some of the things I make for my flock to trash, this is how i make a homemade forage pouch.

The pouch is 100% natural coconut fibre matting. I punch holes in about half an inch from the edge and just thread natural sisal string through as a binder.
002.JPG
I usually get about 21 large forage pouches out of one sheet of matting as i like to make large pouches its easier for me lol sometimes I make other shapes like little drawstring pouches from circles and use the off cuts to stuff the inside with. In the oblong ones I use bits of shredded paper to make it crunchy sounding when chomped on.
The inside of this one I am using dried rosehips, dried hawthorn berries and dried rowan berries its down obviously to the individual what your bird is most interested in. Sometimes I pop meadow hay inside and hide yummies inside that but to be honest the flock usually spend just as much time gathering the seeds of the grasses inside as grabbing the yummies.
003.JPG
And here’s madam Henni already attacking her’s she knows what’s inside and she’s working for her treats occupying her brain and exercising herself at the same time.
14-07-01 3.JPG
Cost £3 for a large sheet. A really large ball of natural sisal string £1.90 which lasts me through about 20 sheets plus other toy repairs so it’s a few pence. Forage treats inside these I paid £1 for 200gms of mixed dried berries from a local shop - must remember to gather and dry a load this autumn…. So the pricing for 21 oblong pouches works out about 19p each. :thumbsup:

Took Henni a few weeks to work out what a forage toy was her previous experience of such things was nil!! She learned from the others and is up for trying the majority of things now...even if it is Henni Style!!

Henni obviously  loves it. Looks great fun. Do yours eat dried berries?

None of ours do for some reason!

its sisal string places like B&Q stock it as well as my local post office its classed as a parcel string but on closer inspection (and a quick email to the manufacturer) I found out it was untreated natural sisal.

the coconut fiber is natural untreated (exept for being compacted) bought it through a garden center they use it for lining flower troughs, planters and hanging baskets another quickie email ascertained it too is all natural.

some of mine like the dried berries i think its because they get the rosehips in the AS335 so already know what they are......actually the AS335 dry (ie before soaking) could also be utilised as a stuffing for the pouch...... I am a big fan of the AS335 its a lovely mixture

Drying berries, do you put them somewhere warm to dry quickly or just leave them in open air please? My birdie buddies love rosehips but I have to shell them first!

here ya go...and yes i too realised they have the wrong photo with the blog lol this is the one that they say to do for hawthorn berries...but to be honest i just do the same to the rosehips tooplus you can do elderberries (rinse and pop in the oven on a very low heat dry dont cook!)

there are other methods of drying such as dehydrators etc...but this one with the lemon juice as a cleanser etc just rather suited my thoughts on making sure there was no mould lurking :)

http://www.ehow.com/how_7668136_can-dry-hawthorn-berries.html

oh and as a side note reminder....don't pick from the roadside due to car fumes etc and make sure what you pick hasn't been sprayed with anything either....

would be good if she did a little write up post with a piccie on a totally new thread :thumbsup:  ...may be put it in the Food and Diet section that way people know where it is instead of trying to remember which part of a totally different thread it came under :dntknw:

thats really great ideas. must admit I have nicked bits of fibre off my husbands cossetted palm tree trunks for my zebra finches to nest with but if I swipped enough to give my hookbills a treat he would have a fit !

Thank you, think this explains why I have had so much difficulty in the past.  We are lucky in the respect of 'untainted' food, one car an hour when its busy and no insecticides used as its all sheep grazing.  Still no need to collect from the roadside, at least there are some positives of living in remote areas.  Must get that picture in..............

That's brilliant. I was going to start a new thread asking for interesting ways to feed pellets, but this could be the answer...

Back
Top Bottom