Home Available

dianaT

Staff member
Well done Carolyn. I bet it won't be long before a needy bird is with you.

NikkiEagle

Registered
Hi! I see you're in Manchester, not far from me! Have you tried the ###### in Blackpool? Great people doing a great job with lots and lots of birds in need, every species you can think of.

Last edited by a moderator:

dianaT

Staff member
:welcome: @Yas m Sorry to hear you need to rehome your grey.
As Michael said is there any way we can help/advise you keep it.
Would you like to tell us more about him/her and post a photo please also where in UK you live. :thumbsup:

Yas m

Registered
Hi guys, I would love to keep her, however, its just not fair on her anymore. I have started a new job, 2 very young children and will also be moving home shortly. As much as I'd like to give her the time I just can't unfortunately. I am based in Bolton, Greater Manchester. I don't wish to sell Hannah as I have had her for a really long time. I need to make sure she goes to someone experienced with birds. Someone I know she will be looked after by. Most importantly won't be sold on. I will post a photo later on. She has no health issues. Used to noise, however, she is only attached to me. She is i would say semi tame with myself. Very well behaved. Has a wonderful vocab mix of English and Gujarati. Even now writing this I am thinking twice but as I've said it's not fair on her.

@Carolyn_rio great news, you're local to me so there's a couple of cheeky macaws going if you're interested. ;) Only joking, seriously great news. :thumbsup:

@Yas m I really hope everything works out, such a difficult decision to have to rehome a bird, if all options have been looked at.

Yas m

Registered
@Carolyn_rio great news, you're local to me so there's a couple of cheeky macaws going if you're interested. ;) Only joking, seriously great news. :thumbsup:

@Yas m I really hope everything works out, such a difficult decision to have to rehome a bird, if all options have been looked at.
Thank you. Yep very very difficult.
BTW sorry I piggybacked on this thread. Happy to start a new one if needs be.

dianaT

Staff member
I cannot help but think you may regret rehoming Hannah. How old is she please?
If you do go ahead you will need to obtain a Gifting Certificate from the Defra website as Greys are now Cites listed birds (endangered specie). Also you must visit the home where she will go and make sure you are happy with the environment and knowledge of the proposed new keeper.

Michael Reynolds

I do not think Carolyn will mind and will be pleased that you have asked her, she will see her tag and reply. I can understand how hard such a decision can be, I know you are putting Hanna first in your thoughts but please think is she happy with you? you know when she leaves for another home it will leave a big hole in your heart and you will miss her loads. we will do our best to help support you and Hanna to remain together if possible. Having five greys myself Two I care for on a long term basis for some one in a similar position at the moment, What I offer is a home for peoples birds but the bird still remains the owners, giving them the option of having there birds back. the two greys that I look after are Max And Mo and along with there Double yellow headed Amazon, they have been with me for over six years now, there owners still keep in touch and visit.

I am down SE of England so not local to you but it another option that you can think about, I will still rather find a way of you keeping Hanna

Yas m

Registered
I cannot help but think you may regret rehoming Hannah. How old is she please?
If you do go ahead you will need to obtain a Gifting Certificate from the Defra website as Greys are now Cites listed birds (endangered specie). Also you must visit the home where she will go and make sure you are happy with the environment and knowledge of the proposed new keeper.
She is 10 in August. And I am aware of the gifting certificate. Can I ask, is there anyway of future proofing her not being sold on?

Yas m

Registered
I would like to keep her, its just understanding the long term affects on her having limited attention etc. If you feel I should hang in there and see how it goes I don't mind. In a way I'm trying to take precaution before she does start changing because of me not being around etc.

Yas m

Registered
Also Michael how much of an affect does rehoming have on an African grey in your experience?

Michael Reynolds

just to put your mind at rest, if you gift the bird that is CITES l, it will be illegal for the person to sell the bird on, the bird has no monitory value

Top Bottom