1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holiday Home For African Grey And Amazon

Discussion in 'Holiday Homes For Birds' started by Liam Cooper, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Liam Cooper

Liam Cooper Registered

Hi,

I'm looking for a holiday home or some advice on boarding in the Birmingham/West Midlands area for my two birds.

I have a Congo African Grey and an Amazon that I usually ask my parents to look after while I'm away, but I'm concerned about the amount of time they can give the birds and I'm looking for a better solution for when I go away for longer periods of time.

I'm going away on 24th November till 2nd December and also 28th November till 2nd January.

Thanks in advance.

Liam

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hi Liam :welcome:

We do have some members around those areas but how they would be set up to care for your parrots I don't know. But they and others may be able to give advice. Failing finding a holiday home does your avian vet board parrots, some do.
    @Wakizashi21 @sunnyring and I cannot remember at the moment who else!

3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

If you don't mind travelling a bit there's our member @Dell27 in Amber Valley - Ripley area Derbyshire, who does birdie boarding

jaspers mum likes this.
  4. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member Registered

Have your birds been to a AV lately? Obviously anyone willing to do this wants to be able to trust that your birds pose no risk. Anymore info you can give would be helpful I am sure. Have you asked at your vets surgery?

5. TomsMum

Very good point made by @plumsmum :thumbsup:

The borders I use insist all parrots have a full avian vet check up and are tested for PBFD, Chlamydiosis, Avian Borna Virus and Pacheco's - and they have a very thorough bio security process.

6. Wakizashi21

Wakizashi21 Regular Member

Good Morning, i have an operation end of November on my shins so ill be bed bound for a while so may not be able to for about 6 weeks. Definitely happy to help after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dianaT likes this.
  7. dianaT

OOh that sounds like a painful recovery, hope all goes well.

Wakizashi21 likes this.
  8. Wakizashi21

Has been a Hard season of cricket and not realising im getting old! Need to retire...lol

TomsMum likes this.
  9. dianaT

10. Liam Cooper

Liam Cooper Registered

Thanks a lot for all your replies, I'm really grateful.

I haven't had them tested, but I have read from a few places that they only accept birds if they have test certificates, so I'll get on that promptly. How often does these tests need doing usually? Is it every time they need boarding? Or is it once a year to keep them up to date? I've had a quote from my vet and it's over £300 per bird, which is a lot more than I was expecting.

I've asked my vet and they gave me the name of a sanctuary that does boarding in the winter, but not in the summer, and they don't board themselves unfortunately.

@Wakizashi21 where are you based? Thanks a lot for your offer, I'll definitely keep it in mind for any future trips that we plan.

I've never been there, I've never had my birds boarded before, I've only asked family members to watch them. Do you know if they have a website or a Facebook page? Or is it just something they run as a hobby/to help out?

Scofe is my African grey, I've had him from a chick, he was hand reared from a local breeder, and he's 6 now. Very social bird, follows me and my girlfriend around the house because he's so nosey. He also loves anyone with a drink or food, flying right up to you to get some for his self. He talks really well and copies my yamyam accent perfectly, which is quite spooky to hear your own voice from across the room. When we're settling down for the evening, he comes and sits on my chest so he can have kisses before he flies up to the door or curtain pole and settles down himself.

Linc is an orange winged Amazon that I rescued from an awful house in an attempt to give Scofe some company. I don't know how old he is because when I bought him 4 years ago, his owners said he was 2, then they said he was 8, then they said he was 11. I had to take him to get him out of his situation he was in, he was kept in the cage in a dark room and smelled really musty as if he'd never had a bath. When I picked him up, they wouldn't get him out the cage into a cat carrier for me to take him home, so I had to do that, so I assume he'd never been out or handled, it was a very sad situation. He was missing a couple of flight feathers, and couldn't even fly a few feet from a stick to his cage, so I had to teach him how to do that again. He's a lot better now, he can fly from one room to another, but some times ends up on the floor and walks the rest of the way if he doesn't make it. Linc is a polar opposite to Scofe, he keeps himself to himself, will happily stay on the door all day. He's also a lot quieter than Scofe, other than is hour of madness in a morning where he will just chirp and chirp while you're making his breakfast.

They both live in the same cage, but I've also got their two previous cages which I kept in case I needed them for boarding or whatever reason. Neither are clipped, because I wanted them to be able to fly around the house by themselves.

I'm not really sure what other info would be helpful, anything you could suggest?

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  11. Wakizashi21

Hiya, im based near Small Heath In Bham. Happy to help out when i can for sure.

12. dianaT

In my opinion your vet is way overcharging. What do others think?

13. TomsMum

The place I use require the testing to be done once, provided that your bird/s do not in the maentime mx with any other birds unless similarly tested.
    My vet is happy to do the anaesthetic and take the blood and swab samples, and for people to send directly to the lab. I use the Laboklin lab, as their fees are reasonable and you get all the results back within 5-7 working days, as they do all the tests here in the uk.

14. Liam Cooper

Liam Cooper Registered

@TomsMum how much do you pay in total for the tests? And which test is it you use them for? There are quite a few on their website.

15. TomsMum

My boarders specify the tests in the Avian S1 profile

http://www.laboklin.co.uk/laboklin/AvianTests.jsp?catID=AviSex&showAll=yes

If you wanted a belt and braces job you could use Avian Profiile V which included APV as well.

The lab are helpful and you can always give them a call somthat you are certain what they need you to supply for whatever tests you decide to do.

16. Wakizashi21

Hiya, anyone find out if Liam has managed to find a Holiday home? My operation has been pulled back to Feb...but only issue is i myt have to take time off work.

17. TomsMum

18. Liam Cooper

Liam Cooper Registered

Hi,

Unfortunately I haven't, and it's too close to the holiday for me to sort out the blood tests etc, so I've asked my mom to come and watch them while I'm away. When I get back I'll get the birds booked in and get the blood tests done so I'm ready for the next time I need them boarding.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

19. Wakizashi21

No Problem. If required just give me a shout. :)

Roz and dianaT like this.
  20. CaptainHowdy

CaptainHowdy Regular Member

You can do the testing through avian biotech now called animal genetics uk.
    You go on the website and request the sample kits and then you can either get an avian vet to get the blood and feather samples etc or if you are confident enough you can clip a toe nail a bit short and get the blood sample yourself.

Then you send them off with payment and the forms and they do the rest. Normally take me 5 to 7 working days for results once payment has cleared.

It's a LOT cheaper than what you are being quoted and even my vet never quoted me that much and they do in-house testing on some.

If you test please do it by blood sample for psittacosis and not faecal sample. Faecal samples can produce a false negative due to how some of these illnesses are carried and shed.