Hi!

nat

Hi all, I was on the forum a good while ago and have come back now as have recently taken in 3 parrots belonging to my friend who sadly passed away. They are a blue crown conure female 28 years old, a male amazon not sure of age, but remember her having him about 20 years ago and a female Alexandrine who I also remember from 20 years ago.
All 3 have settled in to their new surroundings well and appreciating some veg in their diet again and new cages. I always remember she gave them plenty of veg in years gone by when I used to visit often, but as her health deteriorated over the last few years I think they might have been on just plain seed diet.
The conure is a little puffy eyed prob due to vit A deficiency, but is readily eating carrot, red pepper and some eggfood to help with a moult as are the other two. They have also enjoyed some apple and mango.
All on vit supps in the water for now and enjoying the UVB lamps and daily misting. They came from a small room with a smoker so if their feathers smell anything like the cages they were in (which have gone down the tip) then they will be glad to clean them up I reckon.
I don't know a great deal about these 3 species so will probably be asking some questions along the line.
Nat x

Hi Nat, so sorry to hear about your friend. You are kind to give her parrots a good home. I am sure they will thrive under your care.
I hope in due course you will post up some photos. x

:welcome: Nat! It's great to have you back again, although under sad circumstances. The three amigos are lucky to have fallen into your care. :)

Thanks Diana and Roz. I took her budgies and teil before she went into hospital as she asked me to start rehoming the birds as she could no longer service their cages. A mutual friend of ours gave her kakariki a home and a rescue took her ringneck before she went to hospital. The untame ringneck really needed not to be in a cage and now doing well in an aviary. As soon as she went to hospital which was little unexpected I took the conure as I could see she was moulting and had bulgy eyes and needed a bit of extra help which I couldn't do from a distance. ( I didn't tell my friend I had taken the conure) Suddenly it was fairly clear that she wouldn't leave hospital, but had told her we'd keep the last 3 at her home for when she got home and said what ever happened the birds would be fine... The teil was so happy to see the conure arrive a few days later, but when the amazon and alexandrine arrived another week later the teil and conure were so happy! I didn't plan on keeping the 2 big birds as have so little space, but after the grand reunion of them all I couldn't bring myself to separate them so somehow have made space! My partner thinks the 3 are going to rescue so I have purchased a massive acoustic sound curtain to put over the birdroom door and hoping he'll be none the wiser lol. To be fair, the 3 make little noise in comparison to my 2 hahns and the teil.

Hello Nat it good to see you back. well done for taking you friends birds in and I know that would of eased her mind but I am sorry of the sad reasons and for your loss of your friend. it can be surprising how birds can miss the others that they have lived with, I can understand them being happy to see each other again, we would love to see photos of them.

Hi Michael, Thank you. I've been so long away from forums I don't remember how to post photos! I guess I'd need to download from my phone to computer? I did take a pic of them in their new cages. My computer is so full of stuff, when I download something it takes about half hour to find where it went lol! I'll give it a go :)

I know that problem, I have run out of space on my other computer and that crashed the other day, trying to recover files I did have them backed up on this one but that also went wrong so I have had to reload it from scratch so lost my backup. I just download from my I phone to the computer but you may have to edit the photo if over two MB or you can email them to your self and that will reduce the size

She is lovely I have a male called Lucky his best friend is Joe Jo a male blue ringneck , my other ringnecks have partners that are Amazons, from the photo it looks like a yellow headed amazon ,

Hi Nat and welcome back but sorry its under such sad circumstances sorry for the loss of your friend.
You will need to think about getting proper feed bowls in those cages as food down on the cage bottom will get pooped in,
Rather than carrots go for sweet potato its higher in vitamin A
Get yourself a small tub of Nutrobal (its a powder and will last you ages one tiny pinch per kilo of body weight …. so half a pinch for the ammie and less for the others) as when the birds are eating fresh fruit and veggies they are not drinking much as they get their moisture from them so any vitamins etc in the water will not be consumed readily.
Love your blue crowned conure have a soft spot for them little rascals :)
If you have a saw them grab yourself some natural branches to make into perches and get their little toes and feet exercising and they will love to chew the bark off too. Go for either apple or willow or beech (there are a few safe trees) My lot love to strip willow leaves off the branches when I hang bundles in. Ok so it makes a bit of a mess but a busy beak is an occupied mind.
Proper first moult with a good diet of fresh fruit and veggies will get those feather all bright and iridescent in no time at all :)

Back
Top Bottom