Hi to all

Hotwheel123

Registered
Just want to say hi as i am new to all this and need to ask a question,i have been after a parrot for years and now i have the time and space to get one and i am interested in a ringneck but i have a springer spaniel and i am worried if the dog would upset the parrot ,do any of you have a bird and a dog.
Colin

Hello and welcome Colin. I have Ringnecks but no dogs, Some birds do not mind dogs in the house but remember dogs can be predators so great care must be taken to keep the two apart. Birds are individuals and I have known both cases of the way they react, from being so scared to being too curious. you can never trust the two together no matter how well you think they will get on. I learnt that with my first bird a Snowy Owl called Tango. used to go with me and my niece with her Alsatian even riding on the dogs back to the local park. they had known each other and was very friendly and often played together with no problem. one day we went to the park to play our normal game of fetch with a ball, I would throw the ball and they will try to get it and if tango got it he would fly around and drop the ball for my nieces dog to get. this day they had a fight, Tango died from his injuries, my nieces dog was also badly hurt and died a few days later at the vets.

:welcome: from me.

I also have Springer Spaniel plus a Golden Retriever.
I would suggest you put the dog in another room while you have your parrot out, you know how boisterous Springers can be.
When you let him into the room do make sure your bird is securely in its cage , that the door catches and feeder doors are secure, and the dog not be allowed to jump at the cage.
Hopefully in time they get to accept each other but..... you will always have to monitor them and never leave dog & bird alone when out of cage.

Back
Top Bottom