Hi I'm Keibs

Keibra

Hi I'm really new to the parrot world. I got my galah about 6 months ago. I have no idea if it's a male or female. I have named it dude so hoping its a he. I'm going to post a pic in a sec I hope someone will know. It's supposed to be about 16mnts old.
Thanks for your help.
Keibra x
20170507_172315.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Keibs and :welcome: to the forum...looking at your photo I would have thought female...Kendra has already tagged in Margy who knows lots about toos, so I'm sure she'll pop onto your thread soon.
Eye colouring is different between male and female, but isn't fully developed til around 2 years old.

You'll find loads of parroty info in our Caring for feathered friends section, and if there's anything you're unsure of just ask, we're a friendly bunch here.

Hi Kiebs, thats definitly a girlie galah :) A dudess, so to speak and she looks a fair bit older than 16 months :) I could be wrong on the age but her eyes are quite well developed. She's beautiful however old she is :)

Hi thanks for the quick reply. Oh no I called her dude no wonder she hates me and loves my dad. I'll have to call her dudette lol. Ok. One other thing is I'm finding feathers on bottom of cage and some on her wings are ragged. Is she molting or do you think it's destruction. Seems to be really cranky with me at the moment too. She did live in a cage with another galah but the old man died and his son sold them separately. one to me in August. Do you think she's missing company? She has lots of toys. And a huge cage.

Could be missing her cage mate and could be moulting, it's difficult to know without seeing first hand but one of my females have just started to moult. Maybe you could post a photo?

Best i can do for now as she's being a diva and won't turn round lol 20170507_202501.jpgalso how can i go about trimming her claws... they scratch and hurt. She has a sanding perch but doesn't seem to like it
Thanks so much for your help

You have a girl just like my molly ,congratulations and welcome from molly the caiques and myself.im learning still with galahs but rest assured @Kerin and @Margy will keep you on the right track.

Sanding perch needs to be the one highest in the cage. Birds like to roost at the highest point. Change the dowel perch for some apple branches complete with bark on them and the spiky bits will soon wear down. Margy is defo the lady to chat to for pink parroty advice :thumbsup:

Sanding perch needs to be the one highest in the cage. Birds like to roost at the highest point. Change the dowel perch for some apple branches complete with bark on them and the spiky bits will soon wear down. Margy is defo the lady to chat to for pink parroty advice :thumbsup:
where would i get apple branches from?? - sorry total newbie x

Ask around family friends and neighbours to see if any of them have an apple tree. As far as I know you can't buy them, you just have to find a tree and get a couple of branches off it. Don't forget to give any you cut for her a good clean with a steamer or boiling water etc :)

an apple tree :) or try some willow branches ... basically if you can't get out in to the countryside ask family and friends and neighbours what they have growing in their garden

Back
Top Bottom