1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Everyone. First Time On Here.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mandyg, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Mandyg

Mandyg Registered

Hi, I own a Galha cockatoo and he is 10 months old. Recently, I have noticed that his beak is looking a bit rough and uneven.Could this be a diet problem or is it due to that fact that he likes chewing the bars on the bottom of the cage. As he does this, the next bar is rubbing his beak. He has plenty of toys and climbing stuff. Thanks.

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: Can you post up a photo so we can have a look please. Has he got some natural perches he can chew on and toys also cardboard boxes in his cage to destroy it keeps the beak busy and hopefully may deter him from cage chewing. What is he fed on please. We have some members with Galhas @plumsmum @Margy any one else?

plumsmum likes this.
  3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi and :welcome: to the forum.... I’m going to tag in our member @plumsmum who also has one of those pink beauties...with her knowledge I’m sure she’ll be able to ask some more questions and help you.

plumsmum likes this.
  4. RoyJess

RoyJess Regular Member

Hi welcome to the forum. Where about is it rough and uneven on the beak? Unlike most parrots, too's and tiels' have two prongs on the lower beak that is used to rip things apart

5. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member Registered

Hi and :welcome: to you and your Rose Breasted, love to know what his name is? Ten months old LOL you have your hands full! This could be a combination of diet and the opportunity to beak rub. Certainly a parrots beak can be an indication of something lacking. Are you feeding lots of fresh veggies especially Vit A, carrots, squash, peppers, sweet potato etc. My 'too and also my friends that I am holiday mum to are not that bothered about fruit. We both feed ours a chop because it works to get lots of different veggies into them without them being able to pick and choose, which they like to do. A good pellet (organic, human grade) is also a good idea such as Harrison's or Totally Organics which is what we both use. RB2's are hard wired to eat seed as much of the fatty ones as possible which can cause health problems. You don't realise they are only picking one or two types of the seed.

Beak: My guess following experience from Plum is the top looks rough and not smooth?

Have you any rough perches which keep nails trim and give the opportunity to beak rub? Plenty of toys/wood to give the opportunity to chew will also help.

A pic of your little fella and the cage will help a lot please?

Thanks for the tags @dianaT and @TomsMum

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    TomsMum likes this.
  6. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Most parrots beaks will flake and this is normal and the way the beak stays strong as it grows. young birds can be quite noticeable as they do chip off bits but look at the newer developed parts of the beak and you will see it looks shiny and fresh. I will admit I would have greater concern if the top beak was growing longer or is completely shiny. if you have any concerns get avian advice and I recommend having your bird checked at least once a year for any possible deficiencies'. We all love photos and also I love to know your birds name

7. Roz

Roz Regular Member

:welcome: Mandy! Hoping you can post some pics of your lovely 'Too and his beak. See if you can distract him from chewing the cage bars with some soft wood toys. A lot of bought wooden toys are made of hard wood which is pretty indestructible to a lot of birds and therefore not much fun. The Natural Bird Company sells pre-drilled pinewood slices (soft wood) that you can thread on leather laces or rope. They sell some pretty amazing toys too!

http://www.naturalbirdco.co.uk/

Making sure his diet is rich in essential fatty acids will also help beak and feather condition... go for walnuts instead of peanuts, and maybe sprinkle a little milled flaxseed on his fresh food. Beta carotene/Vit A has already been mentioned.