Hi everyone - CAG home and temporary cockatiel owner from Kent

bpirockin

Registered
I've had two CAGs in my life for over 30 years, first a wild-caught untamed female who was joined by my friend's boy whose husband became jealous of it. When I lost them within the space of a yer after 30 years I re-homed two males - separately and sex unknown at the time. These boys are brilliant - with over 10 years between them in age, one flighted and the other a wannabe since his feathers don't grow right on one side after what can only be presumed to be a brutal clipping at a young age. I hope to get him surgery to clear out the follicles/possibly implant once lockdown is over. They are so great together - very entertaining, and although I have a collection of scars from two boys in particular, I'd hate to be without them now.

I currently have three cockatiels as well. I took them in pre-lockdown from family where the owner of two of them went into a hospice, and the third was owned by his daughter who no longer had the heart to keep hers. I hoped to tame them while they were here, and get them out of their too small cages and flying. The one that lived on it's own would make a lovely companion bird, she thoroughly enjoys scrickles, but the other two aren't keen on being handled, though one will step up, if only to fly off again :D

Anyway, that's us for now. I'd love to have a big cockatoo - a Moluccan being my dream bird, but until such time as I can afford a detached house I would not be able to ensure that there were no noise complaints so I'd rather not fall in love to have to then re-home. As such, it may never happen, but you never know.

Michael Reynolds

Hello and Welcome, having four cockatiels and five greys living with me at the moment plus and also living in Kent we do have a few things in common. Imping sounds a good idea as it will help any new feathers to grow better

dianaT

Staff member
:welcome: So sad that both the Greys you had to 30yrs passed away so close together, they eave a huge hole in our hearts and our lives.
Let's hope your avian vet can do something to help one of the males you now have with the poorly wing. I do wish people would stop the barbaric clipping of wings.

Good for you taking on the cockatiels.

We all seem to have a dream bird mine was an LSC which I did have many years ago, he is no longer with us like many of my other parrots, so sad when they pass away. Moluccans are noisy and often very destructive too, but you probably know that!

bpirockin

Registered
Indeed, the silence was deafening. I had just got my lovely affectionate girl back, after the male died, and then lost her too, but I am glad we had time together, just the two of us once more before she died. When I got her she had never been handled, and screamed like a banshee when I held her, but that girl never drew blood, bar one time later on. The boy had always been a bit weedy, but she was of unknown age and healthy all the time I owned her.

I took the cockatiels in because they were being neglected and I knew that I could give them so much more than they had. I do not believe that any bird should be caged all day or clipped. I used to have one as a kid, but have never seen the flock mentality/noise going on, and I don't find it very agreeable to be honest. Just not what I'm used to now I guess.

I have a friend with an LSC and she's lovely, but I do like a bigger bird, am used to designer furniture etc, but would need to invest in earplugs I suspect. You are fortunate to have had one. I was very fortunate to be given the opportunity to care for the two boys I have now, they are very special indeed, and both were very much loved by their previous owners.

bpirockin

Registered
Thank you. I'd gladly share pics if I could get them to load but my jpg files are apparently all too large and I don't know how to shrink them :-(

Top Bottom