1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here Comes Spring 2019!

Discussion in 'Non Parrot Media' started by DizzyBlue, Mar 15, 2019.

1. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Just been on the BTO website to see what the cuckoo's are up to and where they are at the moment....
    Looks like the satellite tagged ones are lining up to head one back :)
    for those of you who like this kind of stuff I have posted the link to the cuckoo tracker and if you scroll down the page you can press the start play button and see what routes they took heading off to Africa etc and what route home they are going to take as well as where they are now. Each tagged bird has been given a name
    25th November last year they were all in the sunnier warmer feeding grounds and when you look at it now they are starting to head back and then the race will be officially on with a mad dash to see which males get here to claim their territories first :)
    Males do the cuckoo noise and the females make a very hmm water vanishing down a plughole sound!
    This track has both the male and the female calling https://www.hbw.com/ibc/sound/common-cuckoo-cuculus-canorus/female-calls-male-further
    Back to satellite tagged males :)
    https://www.bto.org/science/migration/tracking-studies/cuckoo-tracking

Nigalius and plumsmum like this.
  2. DizzyBlue

Think I will be following Robinson and Larry as they head to my neck of the woods.
    Am surprised none of the betting syndicates have ever decided to place bets on who will be here first :p

3. bikergirl Carol

bikergirl Carol Regular Member

oh im gonna have a look at this. i spent an hour one summer staring up at the sound of a cuckoo. never say a single feather :thinking::thinking:

4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I think I am normally in the best place as Kent seams to attract more wood pecker's than most other parts of England mind you I have only spotted one so far this year but the weather has not been that good,

5. DizzyBlue

@bikergirl Carol I was stunned to see that they had put trackers on the lesser black backed gulls hadn't realised how far they travel

bikergirl Carol likes this.
  6. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I only saw a cuckoo once and that was in Richmond Park, Surrey. But, years ago heard one here down in the woods, it was early one morning and my neighbour heard it too so I didn't imagine it!

7. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

They have been heard here but myself I have not heard a squeak. I'd love to hear one and see one as well.

8. bikergirl Carol

im always stunned at just how far birds can travel. they are truly amazing. @DizzyBlue i would love to see the journey our local swallows fly. hopefully we will have lots this year. last year we didnt have many. dont know why.

9. DizzyBlue

@bikergirl Carol they do have some swallows, swifts and house martins satellite tagged on their site just look at the drop down menu on the left of it and you should be able to get through to the route maps etc,

bikergirl Carol likes this.
  10. DizzyBlue

@bikergirl Carol @Nigalius @dianaT
    And the race is on!!! Bill has bolted for it and is sitting off the English Channel!!! Clocked yesterday evening at 4.30pm Bet he's here first only discovered Bill as he doesn't appear on the standard list but if you tick show all birds he shows up on there for some reason did have a status of presumed dead on his but obviously must have a faulty tag as it clocked him in on 16 March which was yesterday ….
    Unfortunately the following birds have gone missing :( Cameron, Carlton II, Lambert could be faulty tags or deceased lets hope its the former.
    Err Victor is having a mad moment and cleared off in the opposite direction and headed to the ivory coast and Ghana and is apparently doubling back to head for England.

Bob likes this.
  11. DizzyBlue

Annotation 2019-03-17 184326.png

Praying a faulty tag on the bird it last transmitted on 27th April last year over in Morocco near the Atlas Mountains

12. DizzyBlue

DOH that's not france it's further down DOH!!!
    Just zoomed in and its defo pinging as being there yesterday

13. DizzyBlue

@TomsMum Can you confirm what I am seeing regarding Bill the Cuckoo?
    Go on their satellite system tick the box marked all birds click on Bill's name and press the track mode it shows his tag is kicking in and out all the time in the mountain range but does show he's moving about between the time he was presumed dead and yesterdays date shows very jumpy movements but does show he's moving around.

@Bob This may interest you

Bob likes this.
  14. DizzyBlue

He's lurking in a valley some where between Mount Zagora and Ait Ouazik by the looks of it... but definitely moving around through late last year....

Bob likes this.
  15. DizzyBlue

Got frog spawn in my step-dads pond :)
    Not heard back from the BTO about the cuckoo as yet though

16. DizzyBlue

Just got a reply from the BTO regarding Bill the cuckoo email reply as below :(

Hi
    I too have been keeping an aye on Bill's tag, however, I can confirm that Bill is dead. The movement you can see from the tag is down to the technology. We get eight different classes of location from the tag every time it transmits with Z being the poorest location and 3 being the best. In all we have from worst to best locations Z, A, B, C, O, 1, 2, 3. These also come with an error elipse which for z can be a 200km radius and for 3 lest than a 1km. The type of location depends on whether or not the satellites pass directly over the tag or further away. Once the data comes in an algorithm selects the centre of the error elipse and places the Cuckoo in it. So a dead Cuckoo can move around these different locations if the tag is still working.
    I am interested to see how long we keep getting locations from this tag as I am sure we could, if funding allowed, go and retrieve it. This would have far carrying implications for birds that go missing on Grouse Moors as the tags seem to go missing too..
    I am sorry not to be more positive about Bill.
    Thank for your interest in this project
    With best wishes

17. Michael Reynolds

fly free poor Bill. thank you for forwarding there email. its very informative and interesting on how the signals are affected by the position of the satalite

18. DizzyBlue

Spring has sprung and as the clocks change next week can see the temperature is starting to get a more steady and the butterflies are starting to settle more :)
    Saw my first brimstone last week but didn't get a photo but did get a picture yesterday of a peacock butterfly.
    DSC01456a.jpg
    The frogs need to hide a bit more or they will be lunch...
    DSC01478.JPG
    The Marsh Harriers are starting to pair up (sorry very long distance shot and my camera isn't up to tracking moving birds at long distances)
    DSC01494a.jpg
    And finally..... female Coots don't always concentrate when mating sometimes something under water is a lot more interesting lol yes the female has submerged her head underwater that isn't a black stone the male is stood on....
    coots.jpg

dianaT and Michael Reynolds like this.
  19. bikergirl Carol

wonderful photos. ill look forward to more

20. Michael Reynolds

love the photo Tasha well this is my magnolia tree in full bloom togay IMG_0200 (2).JPG

dianaT and bikergirl Carol like this.