Help

davidmoore020290

Registered
Hello I would like so help inhale just got a 19 week old quaker parrot and would like to know how often do you need to bath them and anything that will help thanks you
f471992fc45770b8cf62eb2907fbc318.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to the forum
Lovely bird you have there :)
Use a mist spray bottle like you get for plants (cost about 99p) set it to fine mist and spray into the air above our bird never at your bird. Some birds like to jump into their water bowls others like a misting. I mist during winter months in the house when the central heating is on usually every other day just a light misting with clean tap water (don't use hot only cold) and once a week a right good soaking. Some birds like to bath more some less you will see if your bird tries to avoid the mist then its not interested some go nutty and hang upside down under the spray from the roof of the cage showing they are enjoying it and having a right good time just keep misting until they have had enough in that instance.
Never force them to bath as said sometimes when your not looking some will jump in the water bowl and have a splash like that instead.

Quakers are brilliant little birds highly intelligent and totally awesome at building! So provide things your little one can decide what to do with.
When I say brilliant builders I mean brilliant builders! I used to follow this little birdie on youtube Sparkey now he can show you what they can really achieve :)

I had a little quaker called Blue he used to love weaving things like leather strips around his bars and almost plaiting them spent ages amusing himself busy all day long :)

Hi and welcome to the forum
Lovely bird you have there :)
Use a mist spray bottle like you get for plants (cost about 99p) set it to fine mist and spray into the air above our bird never at your bird. Some birds like to jump into their water bowls others like a misting. I mist during winter months in the house when the central heating is on usually every other day just a light misting with clean tap water (don't use hot only cold) and once a week a right good soaking. Some birds like to bath more some less you will see if your bird tries to avoid the mist then its not interested some go nutty and hang upside down under the spray from the roof of the cage showing they are enjoying it and having a right good time just keep misting until they have had enough in that instance.
Never force them to bath as said sometimes when your not looking some will jump in the water bowl and have a splash like that instead.
Hello and thank so much I will give that a go

Hello and welcome, he/she look quite a sweet bird has he/she got a name? first thing is let it settle in, Some birds like to bath them selves and some prefer a spray. during hot weather and when the bird moults I would spray every other day, at other times twice a week. spraying water that is at room temperature in the air so it falls like rain on to your bird.

Quakers are brilliant little birds highly intelligent and totally awesome at building! So provide things your little one can decide what to do with.
When I say brilliant builders I mean brilliant builders! I used to follow this little birdie on youtube Sparkey now he can show you what they can really achieve :)

I had a little quaker called Blue he used to love weaving things like leather strips around his bars and almost plaiting them spent ages amusing himself busy all day long :)
Wow just wow

Hello and welcome, he/she look quite a sweet bird has he/she got a name? first thing is let it settle in, Some birds like to bath them selves and some prefer a spray. during hot weather and when the bird moults I would spray every other day, at other times twice a week. spraying water that is at room temperature in the air so it falls like rain on to your bird.
Hello yes he/she dose have a name it's called zazu and thank you

Your new friend is a totally awesome little bird highly intelligent so needs lots of things to keep that brain figuring things out this is no ordinary little bird you have selected to live with this is an awesome construction minded species :)
Lots of natural things little apple wood or willow wood perches for him to keep his feet flexible and claw at a good trim shape, places to hide in things like little cardboard boxes (no with colour printed sides just plain old cardboard boxes they do like to investigate things. Remember though introduce things gently sometimes if something is new they will be upset until they get used to it.
If you have a look in the training folder on site there are some brilliant training threads to help you ad your bird get to know each other. You speak human your bird speaks bird language so what you have to do is learn bird language each tilt of the head or fluff of the feathers or vocal call is telling you something your task is to learn what it means.
There are heaps of threads in the food section of what is good to feed like fruit and veggies etc and things you must never feed as they are dangerous like avocado and salt chocolate etc.
Your cage looks to be in the window, make sure that he is never in the direct sunlight all day long and can't seek shade being over heated by the sun coming through the window can be disastrous for a bird over heating can kill hence we tell people not to keep them in conservatories etc plus if they see something scary out there and feel they can't hide from it then that can panic them into battering themselves inside their cage. My birds can see out the window they are at the side of the window with the wall along side the back of the cage. so they can get into shade and also hide if they wish.

:welcome: what a lovely bird Zazu is. Is he your first parrot?
All good advice already given, can I just add or ask, has he got toys to play with as they all like toys to keep them busy.

:welcome: what a lovely bird Zazu is. Is he your first parrot?
All good advice already given, can I just add or ask, has he got toys to play with as they all like toys to keep them busy.
Yes and i am making a play thing for zazu as well

Your new friend is a totally awesome little bird highly intelligent so needs lots of things to keep that brain figuring things out this is no ordinary little bird you have selected to live with this is an awesome construction minded species :)
Lots of natural things little apple wood or willow wood perches for him to keep his feet flexible and claw at a good trim shape, places to hide in things like little cardboard boxes (no with colour printed sides just plain old cardboard boxes they do like to investigate things. Remember though introduce things gently sometimes if something is new they will be upset until they get used to it.
If you have a look in the training folder on site there are some brilliant training threads to help you ad your bird get to know each other. You speak human your bird speaks bird language so what you have to do is learn bird language each tilt of the head or fluff of the feathers or vocal call is telling you something your task is to learn what it means.
There are heaps of threads in the food section of what is good to feed like fruit and veggies etc and things you must never feed as they are dangerous like avocado and salt chocolate etc.
Your cage looks to be in the window, make sure that he is never in the direct sunlight all day long and can't seek shade being over heated by the sun coming through the window can be disastrous for a bird over heating can kill hence we tell people not to keep them in conservatories etc plus if they see something scary out there and feel they can't hide from it then that can panic them into battering themselves inside their cage. My birds can see out the window they are at the side of the window with the wall along side the back of the cage. so they can get into shade and also hide if they wish.
How big of cage do they need?

I always work on the bigger the better. Remember a cage may look big when its empty but as soon as food bowls and toys go in there plus perches etc then the space available for a bird to move around and play or indeed stretch their wings is reduced.

I prefer a cage with a nice big door as birds spread their wings to fly in and out so they need room for those wings not to be hitting the sides of the door way.
This one is a good one a few of our members have them for birds of Zazu's size https://www.littlepetwarehouse.co.uk/products/hamberley-single-metal-large-cage.html and if you look around on line you will find that they often have promotion code discounts so the cage is great value but you do need to buy bowls as it doesn't come with them. Three bowls one for food one for water and one for fresh fruit / veggies buy those coup cup stainless steel hook on or bot on ones like this https://www.littlepetwarehouse.co.uk/metal-feeding-dish-bolt-bowl-coop-cup-small-300ml/ easy to clean and just pop in and out of the holder with little fuss.

Diana recently posted a brilliant perch stand she made for her birds you may wish to have a look at making one of those :)
Have a look at this thread just click the link it will show you what she madde. https://theparrotclub.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/new-stick-stand.35019/

Back
Top Bottom