1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help

Discussion in 'Health' started by chicoshuman, Jan 12, 2018.

1. chicoshuman

chicoshuman Regular Member

Hello,

Getting right to the point, I made a male shift training perch for my macaw months ago and it’s been fine, however today Rhaegar was messing around on it and I didn’t realise there was a tiny and I do mean tiny spirit level on it, Rhaegar cracked the spirit level, as soon as I heard him up to no good I discovered what he had done scooped him up and instantly put him in the shower to wash his beak. I didn’t waste time in checking if there was any of the liquid on his beak as I wanted to remove whatever could have been on there as soon as possible. Being a liquid and that he did break into it I can’t imagine that there wasn’t any at all on his beak.

I’m kind of freaking out, is there anything more I can do.

2. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Yup sit down and have a cup of tea and chill. Take a few deep breaths.
    Right what kind of spirit level is it? Does it have a name?
    Double check all parts are there.
    I will try and find out what the liquid is ... wouldn't think he will have ingested it nor that they would fill the thing with anything too dangerous as humans use these things and they have to ensure a human isn't going to prosecute them to within an inch of their lives for doing a "numpty" filling.

Bob likes this.
  3. DizzyBlue

@TomsMum
    .... and anybody else who may know what they fill spirit levels with!!!

4. DizzyBlue

Is it's one of these?
    [​IMG]

5. DizzyBlue

Old style was mercury coloured ethanol liquid, then they did the a mineral oil one ......
    Ok was it yellow liquid? like the one above?
    In which case it's ethanol with fluorescein to add the colouration.
    Ethanol is alcohol. Wouldn't think birdies would have got much of it and you did the correct action.
    Is all the glass there?

6. DizzyBlue

@Ararajuba need your chemical scientific brain power!

7. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

8. chicoshuman

It's not an entire spirit level, it was a tiny tiny spirit level on the camera tripod which brand is a redsnapper.

It's really tiny about 0.75cm circle spirit leveller thing to ensure your tripod is level I guess?

I did read what it could be made of but I guess there's no real knowing. I believe it's a yellowish liquid it has a bad smell... doesn't smell alcoholic.

I have since spoken to my avian vet (I didn't realised they had out of hours contact as I could find the information on their website) they advised me to monitor his breathing.

I really don't know how much could have been ingested but logic says it obviously got only his beak because he cracked it. I think because of the design of it, there is still a lot of liquid in the thing as it's just like a disk if you look down onto it like a bullseye type spirit level?

9. DizzyBlue

alcohol and fluorescin if its a new style one. The yellow dye is used in detecting eyeball scratches etc ... alcohol if it is an old style one not much to ingest ... no great shakes ....
    https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00693

If it's mineral oil or mercury based whole new ball game!

10. DizzyBlue

Oh one of those! What you doing with one of them???? :) Tripod leg ones?
    [​IMG]

11. chicoshuman

Nope it's like proper built in I'll try find a picture of it

12. DizzyBlue

They aren't glass they are those acrylic ones aren't they?
    Yellow liquid is ethanol and the colouring is flourocine

13. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Have you still got the instruction manual as there are usually warnings also printed in them?

14. DizzyBlue

It's the ones on a camera tripod? Or am I puddled again?

15. DizzyBlue

16. chicoshuman

17. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Search it's model/ID number, how's Rhaegar btw?

18. DizzyBlue

It's ethanol with fluorescein to colour it up with. So alcohol based with a mineral / organic compound dye derivative.
    You did the correct thing scrubbing beak :) now dispose of the offending item and have a strong cup of tea. Nowt to do further. Fast metabolic rate will mean anything ingested will be out in an hour nowt too scary staying in that can't be dealt with by the bird as it will be a minimal quantity ingested. Late night tonight for the two of you scoffing and pooping will be good (errr the bird not you!!)

Ararajuba and chicoshuman like this.
  19. chicoshuman

Thank you all for the help I really appreciate you coming to my aid again especially so quickly.

I doubt I will sleep a wink tonight observing him! Thank god it's a Friday...

He seems to be acting his normal self, he obviously got wet in the shower and he can be known to be a bit vocal after now which he was as expected...

DizzyBlue likes this.
  20. DizzyBlue

You will be arrested for Parrot Stalking or for being a Parrot Peeping "Tom" ..... we will not be bailing you out :biggrin:
    Cuppa for you lots of yummies for little one to ensure everything goes through and out the other side snuggling on the sofa perhaps and offending item outside in the cold :thumbsup: