1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Plucking Please

Discussion in 'Feathers And Grooming' started by barry clements, Mar 7, 2018.

1. barry clements

barry clements Regular Member

Hi everyone

I have had Mr Jones for 14 months now without any problems with plucking
    But today I get home to find many chest feathers at the bottom of his cage I have been watching him since I got home he is plucking his feather chewing every thing in site and constantly rubbing his beak on his main perch he is even trying to chew his cage bars
    Any ideas would be helpful and is there anything I can do

2. RoyJess

RoyJess Regular Member

3. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

is his chest looking grey with just the green feathers being removed or is he bald?

4. barry clements

only started today green feathers being pulled and yes looking grey it's like he's got an itch he can't scratch defiantly not bald

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  5. Michael Reynolds

Many amazons will do this about this time of year Charlie has been loosing his and they all seam to come out in a short time. I cannot say he is plucking them although he seems to preen more often at this stage but they soon grow back. he has been checked and is fully fit. But he is far from the only amazon that I have come across that goes through the same problem. it is still advisable to get him checked by an avian vet but I hope my answer will take some of the worry off of you. it can be a stress problem but you will soon find out if he will not let the new growth 054.JPG stay. this also was the problem with Charlie when I first took him on but for the last few years he has been great and has a lovely coverage of green feathers most of the year. is he looking like in the photo?

6. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Does he let you spray him Barry?
    I use a hand spray bottle with warm water ....... when giving them a shower, make sure there’s sufficient time before bedtime for them to dry off.

It does sound possibly more like an irritation, or if he’s been spooked by something , or indicative of a possible issue, so would recommend a Vet check up.
    Try to calm him by singing or talking quietly, or distract him from plucking with a favourite toy.

7. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

I second the AV visit sooner rather than later Barry, can you see if anything is causing him pain? Place something that he can bite instead of the bars and himself to the cage.

8. barry clements

No just like Michael said he seems to be preening more than plucking nothing to spook him as far as I know

9. Michael Reynolds

If it wasnot this time of year I would have more concerns.

10. barry clements

Yes he likes a spray I do it each morning

TomsMum likes this.
  11. Michael Reynolds

That's too often just spay every two to three days I use a small drop of aloe Vera in every other spray.

12. barry clements

okay thanks I will try that

13. Hope everything works out well! It can be stressful for you guys too, worrying about it all. There is already good advice on here from the others, so I can't really add anything apart from our own experience.
    We've got a macaw who is a plucker, she has been for years even with her previous owners. She started to grow full feathers for about a year after we'd adopted her, then began pulling them out again suddenly. We've done the myriad of vet checks, tests, diet, room temperature, bathing etc.... as it has been boiled down to habit and hormones (she had an implant to 'calm' things, and it improve slightly). She has a bald back and legs, and her chest/stomach go through various stages of nudity! She's our little threadbare princess though, and is loved regardless lol. Our other macaw also sports a nudy neck since the female moved in, brought on (it is thought, as again 100% healthy!) by his raging hormones, which never seem to take a break. He loves her..... She thinks she's a human. Awkward!! Best of luck! Xx

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

14. Parrot797

Parrot797 Regular Member

I do not think plucking is common in Amazons,I have kept and bred from nearly all of them (4 pairs of each species)and have only seen this in Blue Cheeked and 1 Red Tailed.I have never seen this in Orange Winged (currently have 20 of them).

plumsmum and TomsMum like this.
  15. barry clements

Update for you all have had Mr Jones checked out and everything okay after the first day of feverish plucking of green feathers he has ceased doing it now and just looks a bit scruffy lol

16. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That is good news :thumbsup:

17. Michael Reynolds

I am pleased he is fine

18. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Glad you had him checked and there seems to be nothing physically wrong.

19. barry clements

I am looking at getting an avian lamp as well when I looked online they had bulbs that can be put into any household lamp is this sufficient and are they any good.
    I have my eye on a nice lamp but if the bulb is okay I may do that advise please

20. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member