1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Cats Are Annoying My Aviary Birds...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by layla, Apr 20, 2017.

1. layla

layla Regular Member Registered

Hi all, help needed please I have built a big beautiful walk in aviary for my birds. We have a huge problem with wild cats 7 of them which to my frustration my neighbour keeps feeding. They are constantly at my aviary jumping at it climbing up the mesh and sitting on the roof chasing them. My female red rump is especially becoming stressed out by it as she's trying to nest she is reliant on me and trusts me so she is constantly letting out her danger call so I go running to help but as soon as I walk away the cats are back. I have tried repellent sprays and cat machines but they are not working does anyone have any ideas to help me I will try anything. I cant cope with my babies been harassed and I don't want to loose them. Thanks.

2. marley

marley Regular Member

First question is, have you double wired the aviary (two layers of wire with a gap between them) and is the roof covered with for example corrugated plastic?
    Without seeing your set up it is difficult to advise but I have used electric fencing designed for horse fields in the past, you can buy a small unit on ebay for under £100 it gives a short sharp pulsing shock which will stop the cats very quickly, cats are very clever animals and will learn usually after one shock. It will not kill or cause damage to the cat other than a real fright.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-...449328?hash=item35ec85a970:g:npgAAOSwHQ9WYb9s

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000m-app...602301?hash=item2123be69fd:g:Ou4AAOSw-CpYBkLll

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-x-RIN...246866?hash=item2830130d92:g:gT8AAOSwfVpYuDn0

Kerin, TomsMum and Jeanette like this.
  3. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

with the netting it also keeps foxes away we use them to guard the chickens electric fencing works from a car battery so you will need one and a charger. the problem may be if your aviary is by a fence as you will need to be able to stop the cats from climbing it and walking along to the aviary.

4. layla

Hi thanks for your reply. The roof is double meshed and uv polycarbonate on top I will be adding more shading This weekend. The sides are enclosed and the front is double mesh I am in the process of trying to upload pics if my laptop would stay turned on and my OneDrive would behave . Good thinking I didn't think of that I have lots of horsey friends I could get some. Any other ideas. I will let you now when I finally get pics sorted. Many thanks.

5. layla

Hi y
    Hi yes one side is next to a fence and they are doing exactly what you just said. I thought of building a water fought around ground level as cats hate water and putting herbal drops in like citronella to keep bugs away from aviary would that work? Well for ground level? Thanks for your reply.

6. Michael Reynolds

Would your neighbour allow you to paint the top of the fence with anti climb paint? I know this can also keep cats from climbing and walking along. be a wear I do not know if the fumes may affect your birds if the wind is blowing towards the aviary at time of painting but being out side they should be fine at all other times

7. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

As you live in Leeds I think you mean feral cats, which are other peoples throw aways. I can understand your problem but these cats are living on the brink of starvation so they will try anything. You could ask the CPL or other rescue if they can help?

8. layla

Hi yes feral cats. It started as 2-3 then they had a litter. I have contacted people in the past who said that because people are feeding/ caring for them they are classed as cared for and my neighbours are happy feeding them so I'm a bit stuck at the minute. Thanks for your reply.

9. layla

Unfortunately no I'm not even allowed to put a screw in the fence he recon's before I moved in he paid for the fence himself and its his no proof though. I keep reminding him I own my land and I can do with what i please on my side..I need new neighbours . Thanks again.

Kendra likes this.
  10. Michael Reynolds

just tell him you are preserving the fence he wont know unless he tries to climb it. I cannot see why he has to complain yes on side of his garden is up to him to replace putting screws can be classed as damaging but painting cannot. if it is on you side you have to check your deeds then the fence is yours to maintain

11. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

I bet that was the RSPCA, try the CPL (Cat Protection League), at least either should/could get them neutered, no extra cats and more food to go round.

In West Yorkshire, although local laws may differ, the position of the upright posts, whether they are on your side or his have to be on the fence owners land. So, if the uprights face your side then the fence posts are classed as being on your land therefore your fence, but surely if he is an animal lover he would help to sort the cats out and care about your birds, appeal to his softer side if you can find it.

12. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

I feed ferals and also have an aviary. The ferals don't bother the aviary birds as they have enough food and they do do a really nifty job of making sure the mouse population is kept at bay. It's taken longer for the local sparrow hawk to learn that she can't get to the aviary birds then it has the feral cats! I have over the years neutered the population so no longer see kittens. Have to say my birds spend their time tormenting the cats they know they can't get to them.
    My aviary is poly carb on top double meshed, front double meshed back and sides are solid wall so the birds can move off into other areas if they choose plus the roost box if they wish to hide out of the way. Ain't the cats fault that the humans wanted a lovely kitten got bored of them and decided to throw them out. Have buckets of bamboo growing in there so the birds have somewhere to hide if they choose ..... These must be domestic turning wild cats as a proper feral (wild cat born to wild parents) you don't see you know they are around but they avoid humans like the plague and you usually see a bush rustle or the tip of a tail vanishing.
    You can use something like Scoot or Get Off I like the Get Off crystals myself I use it in the borders.

Kendra likes this.
  13. layla

Great advice thanks will definitely do that will update you.

14. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

DizzyBlue is correct you know, I remember when my birds lived in our conservatory which we had divided in half and the cats and dogs could get to the other half, the birds used to have a whale of a time teasing them, but there was glass in-between.

We have the true wild cats here and but rarely see them.

15. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

I have a lot of neighbours cats trying their luck at getting at aviary birds/chickens. they cannot reach them as the pens are secure and over time my birds have all realised the cats cannot get them and are not much bothered.
    MY aviary is roofed with polycarbonate so as cats can't leer through wire from above which is too alarming and the birds no longer react to cats at sides.
    if the aviary is in a fairly exposed spot it may help to screen one side and back with wicker fencing or similar so as their is a shielded no cat area birds can move to if feeling harassed.

16. abu

abu Regular Member Registered

i have the same problem as the lady opposite my house takes in every stray cat she comes across at last count she had 27 cats and the all visit my garden on a daily basis stalking my aviary what iv done now is give ted (my japanese akita) free roam of my garden and since then iv yet to see a cat :emoji_imp:

layla, TomsMum and Kendra like this.
  17. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

if noise is not an issue get a trio of free range large fowl hens with a cockerel. I used to keep cream legbars and the cockerel was very aggressive with anything preditorary. neighbours cats would try to come into garden to hunt free ranging hens with chicks and very quickly have a furious large cockerel case them off. rather noisy though so only any good if in noise tolerant area.

layla, TomsMum and Kendra like this.
  18. layla

Hi all thanks for all your fab replies you have all given me ideas and put my mind a ease a bit more..im gonna put up a bit more shelter tomorrow and bigger plants in. Maybe over time like you all say my babies will realise the cats cant get them. My dad keeps saying go buy a guard goose .

19. layla

20. layla

Hi yeah you guessed it in one the rspca are not much help. If my neighbours want responsibilities of theses cats as they feed them and call them there babies they should vaccinate, spay/neutering, worming ect....but they don't..