Hello

Caz Duncan

Registered
I am English living in Spain. I have taken custody of a parrot. Complete novice. I have an aviary of finches so have some bird skills. The parrot (Fred) is now in an aviary of his own. I have no idea of what type he is and when he has settled a bit I will post pics. Am sure somebody here will know what type he is. Looking forward to learning about him and will most certainly be looking for advice. Forgot to say that he was rescued from a house where he had probably never been let out of a small cage and was in a poorly maintained and dirty cage. Caz.

:welcome: Good for you rescuing and giving a home to the parrot. Do post up a photo when you can.
We do have a member @Lisa7284 who now lives in Spain too.

Hi Caz and welcome to the forum from me and my gang :)
I see he was a pet bird and you have put him / her into an aviary. That may cause some issues if he has never been outside. What are the current temperatures where you are? Is he put inside during the night? Birds that have lived indoors need to be acclimatised before being put into an aviary. Plus things can be very scary for them if they have not see the outside world for a very long time if ever.
We have some brilliant posts called "stickies" these can be found inside each of the forum folders at the top of the folder with a little picture of a drawing pin on the righ hand side of them these are the ones we feel are the most important posts such as diet, things they are NOT allowed to have, things they should have, things to watch out for such as dangerous things like candles, Teflon and air fresheners etc. Either way if you want to know or ask anything just go ahead and ask there is no such thing as a daft question :) we all started somewhere and have been lucky enough to have others to help us to get to where we are now and we're all still learning.

Lets have a guessing game and see if we can work out which species of parrot you have just for a bit of fun until we see a picture
Is it bigger or smaller than a normal pigeon?
What colour / s are the feathers is it a green body or blue or grey or white etc
What colour is the beak and the legs.
What is the eye colour?
Is there a crest on the top of the head?

:welcome: Caz! Hoping we can have some pics of him soon! Be aware that if Fred has been in a tiny cage for a long time, a huge space in an aviary might be overwhelming for him. Just saying to keep a close eye on him. :)

Thanks for advice already. We have FredFin an aviary but his cage is in there too. He had a little look outside but went back inside. He also has a shelter in the aviary. The temperature at the moment is 24 degrees. We bring him indoors at night at the moment but it can be cooler inside than out at certain times of the year. We are also buying a larger cage so if wants to stay in there he can. He has different shades of green on his head and body. His undercarriage is orange and yellow. He has yellow and blue on his wing feathers. His feet and legs are red. Black beak. White eyes with a little white stripe. At the moment we can't get a good pic. Get guessing till I can get a pic. Caz. ps no crest

Hi and welcome :welcome:

Living in Spain is so good for my Alfie. We live in Southern Spain so plenty of exposure to the sun all year around. Today he spent a good few hours out in the garden- I just wheel his big cage out. I never really leave him unattended as we live in the campo- lots of feral cats and snakes. I know a few people who keep their parrots outside full-time and have beautiful and secure aviaries for them.

Alfie is on a mainly fresh food diet (local markets are great for fresh fruit and veg for him) but I do like a backup of pellets. I have found local pet store are not great for this, lots of seed mixes but poor quality, you need to be aware of the dangers of giving mixes with lots of dust, some can also be contaminated. I used to buy his pellets from the UK but the shipping is so high. I now use Tiendanimal, which are an online shop- lots of good quality/ top brand parrot pellets and seed mixes. Quick delivery (usually get mine in 3 days from when I place the order).

Can't wait to see some pictures

Lets see no size to go on so everybody is ruled in from little to big.
Zero crest means not one of the cockatoo family and rules out things like the hawk head parrot.
Ruling out the amazon family because of the tummy colours described although the different shades of green would fit as would the eye stripe comment
Mini macaws are still in the mix
Ruling out kakariki's and budgies due to beak colour described
Ruling out caigues due to tummy colours descried
Lovebirds are out on beak colours for me as too are derbyans and plum heads.
Senegals went out the window with there being no black head mentioned
I feel I want to rule out things like the lineolated parakeets just because I can
Lorikeets are out the window too in just about all the solour variations and beak stuff etc
I feel I want to rule out the really large macaw family due to the white eye / stripe comment as they have more white face rather than a stripe
Not an eclectus member wrong combination of feather colours combined with beak colours....
Which leaves us with hmmmm errrrr :thinking: one of the conure species perhaps or maybe a mini macaw but with the tummy colours I still want to rule that last group out but the wing colours and eye stripe says I want it in ..... :BangHead: some of the parakeet members are still in my head as possibilities ….

Anybody else want to have a guess before we get a picture?
@TomsMum your usually up for a little quiz :)

The red legs confused me.
Sorry his legs are red feathered near the top but his skin is pink. I have tried to load a pic as my profile pic from when we got him but not the best. You can see the size of cage he was kept in. Leaving him in peace for a while to settle. Just sitting nearby and speaking softly to him.

Sorry his legs are red feathered near the top but his skin is pink. I have tried to load a pic as my profile pic from when we got him but not the best. You can see the size of cage he was kept in. Leaving him in peace for a while to settle. Just sitting nearby and speaking softly to him.
Oops appear to have have chopped Fred's head off. Will try again later.

Headless Fred :yikes::yikes:
I am not very good at conures in fact I am flipping hopeless! I am thinking Fred looks like a patagonian conure ….. :thinking:
@dianaT what do you think?

Looks like a lovely Conure in your Avatar, need to see head to say whether its a Pat.

Pretty sure that's a yellow sided gcc.

Edit: wait no, gccs have no yellow on the wings...

Edit again: going with yellow sided gcc, final answer!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom