Hello

Bexx

Hi, I'm Bex, my family and I have recently been debating about getting a parrot, namely a Senegal.

The thought came about after my 3 year old fed the parrots at the zoo, he had birds perched all over him, was completely still and said he loved them. So we've told him when he starts school we'll look to get one if he's still so good with them.

We're trying to learn as much as we can about parrots as companions and get as much interaction beforehand with them to make sure we can handle the huge commitment.

I'd like people's opinions on whether they think parrots can live happily with a very active child, he won't be responsible for the parrot, as parents that'll be our job but I do think he'd want to be involved? As you can see this isn't a decision we'll rush into and I'd want to be sure before we made it.

Can anyone suggest a way we could get more interaction with parrots? We've been visiting tropical bird land which is lovely and he enjoys thoroughly. Sorry for the huge wall of text.

Hi and welcome to the forum :welcome: .

I have no experience with Senegals but many do on here and will be around soon who will be able to chat.. 

Thanks for the welcome, I'm also open to suggestions should Senegals not be an appropriate choice, I just couldn't help falling in love with one that we met! :)

Hi :welcome: from me and my flock.

That's is wonderful your little boy has taken well to birds.

As you may well know they are a life long commitment and live for many years.

Things you may like to think about are holidays - would you have someone to care for your bird, you cannot leave it alone with someone popping in to feed it.

Windows and doors, it only takes a second for a bird to find one open and they are gone.

Household hazards too -  many cleaning products, non stick pans and so on.  There is a Thread somewhere on the forum you may like to read, best to be prepared!

As for Senegals I have 3, (we used to breed them) and quite a few members live with them too.

They are lovely little parrots full of character but can often be very nippy mostly when you least expect it.  And that is applicable to most  parrots!

Your son may benefit best for now with either budgie(s) or cockatiels, both very nice birds, and best to go for hand reared ones. They can be great companions, and some even learn to talk.

What area of the country do you live in?

There are parrot shows held and the Parrot Society hold a large one in Stafford in Octobers as well as in Spring. May be  places to visit and have a good look around.

Ask away if you have questions. :thumbsup:

We plan to go to the spring Stafford show, we're in Coventry so not too far.

We have a tortoise so have the lifetime commitment stuff down :)  we had him before our son but he helps out with the day to day care, really think he's going to be an animal person.

I've read the parrotlopaedia so I think I have most of the safety stuff down and can continue to learn until I seem my son is ready.

When you say they're nippy do you mean full on biting through the skin or just slightly painful pecks?

Are budgies interactive? I don't have much experience with them.

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions.

Oh we need to look for an avian vet befor we even think about getting a parrot don't we? If anyone knows a good one round this part of the country feel free to recommend :)

Well they can and do draw blood, all parrots can and often do. Sometimes its a playful nip but to a child that will make him cry I am sure.

My grandchildren are not too keen on it!

Budgies and cockatiel can give a nip too but as far as I am aware and from the budgies we have had it is rare.

Yes both birds can be very playful

Have a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmftYnFtafQ

Also google Disco the budgie, you will enjoy that.

Hubby had a budge when he was  a child, it  rode around on his little train set!

But don't be disappointed if you get one and it doesn't  learn to do these things, after all they are all so different.

As for avian vets there is a list on the forum and I am sure those members in and around your area will be on here before too long with advice.

Also re cages, please do not buy what folk refer to as a budgie /cockatiel cage, they are far too small.

There's lots of decent ones available and you will get a good idea if you have a look at

Scarletts   website.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I have no young children it would be very difficult to comment on any parrot.  Not sure where everyone is at the moment unless there is a football or rugby match on the telly.

Sorry about that, but the phone rang half way through and when I came back other had posted in between. 

One thing I will stress is that ts is highly unlikely you will find any bird that will be as friendly and tame as the ones in the zoo.   A new bird has just been wrenched from its home, its family and everything it new to arrive in a completely different environment with strangers.  Any new bird will need time and lots of patience.

Oh you would mention chocolate wouldn't you ;) mmmm 

Ive already put dibs on a large section of the living room when we have another shift around, since Christmas we seem to have more toys than we know what to do with lol :)

I do remember my parents telling me the story of how the parrot we grew up with bit my brothers finger and there was blood all over the wall. That was a much larger parrot though than a budgie :)

Will fire up pc and have a look at those vids

Hello and welcome Bexx  with small children I can recommend a few birds that I know can be safe and great with young children of course the budgie is top of the list then if you want something slightly different  I would choose a bourk parakeet very placid birds that are not nippy at all.  then the cockatiel they are great birds but if you want to have a larger bird that I am sure will fit in with the whole family then the Australian King parrot.  their is a lovely video on you tube "Hand feeding wild Australian parrots" that I recommend you watch.  Hand reared birds can be expensive but you should be able to pick one up for under 200 pounds.  now the video is of wild birds so one that gets used to you and your family will be even more friendly.  they do not have a long lifespan about eight years I have had three in the past that have been extra friendly and I have a pair now that are friendly.  they can learn speech although my present pair have never spoken.  I have had friends that have these wonderful birds all with very young children around any advice on keeping them I will certainly give you have a look at the video please

Thank you for replying Michael, extremely useful information there.

We're not worried about cost or the ability to talk. I suppose general temperament is our main consideration.

My only other concern is that we work and are not at home every day all day.

I cannot recommend the Senegal as others have said they can get nippy I call them Dracula's with wings but such a lovely bird most of the time.  can be very one person birds or even only like one gender.   I have three Terry has only in 20 years bitten me once Niblet that I have had three years has only bit me once and sparky has the record of three times.  I have also named them cling on's as they not only give a very nasty bite but they will hold on to you with the beak.  they can be very flighty and not the type of bird that would love young children running around or sudden sounds.

Perhaps not the most suitable then, though a lot of the things I've read have said they're good with children. Just shows you're better off finding out from people who own them :)  those Australian King parrots in the video you linked to are lovely too! Glad we started learning now, going to be a long journey before we take the leap.

Hi Bex and welcome to the forum :)  if your sole reason for a parrot is due to your son falling in love with them and you really wanting him to get involved then in my opinion it has to be a cockatiel or budgie, these birds are so underated because they are common, they are full of character, fun, playful, affectionate and amazing little birds, you wont come across many bird lovers who don't adore them, they are great family birds but you do need to get a hand reared one or a parent reared who has had lots of handling ideally. The reason I say this is based on my experience with birds, we have conures, senegals, amazons and greys and they all tend to have their favourite person and attack/bite everyone else, they have a hard bite and a Senegal has a beak like a cockatoo, parrots are hormonal and can be common for them to go through aggressive periods and I would never have any of mine out around children.

Mine have been fine as long as you get them out for about three hours a day and the bird has a good sized cage the bigger the better.  toys are essential although you may not see them play often  when you are in the room the character and fun  and mischief they get up to along with they have a habit of getting things on the floor from shelves ect.  as far as feeding well you may find out most will end on the floor of a cage one thing I give mine or add to the feed is I use a wheat loaf bred that I toast and burn then scrape the toast over the food.  in the wild they feed and breed just after the forest fires sprouting seed is given regularly.  fresh fruit and veg are the main part of these wonderful birds diet.  Not too common and very under rated in a home situation but these birds are one of the best and a bird that will always be in my home.  you may have to go to a parrot show to purchase one as I have not seen any in pet shops and very few on the bird trading sites.

He's not the only one having fallen in love but he is of course the main consideration.

l wouldn't want to put him knowingly in harms way.

Im quickly getting the idea a Senegal is probably not right for us, which is fine, it was the reason I joined - to be sure.

Would have been a pretty momentous mistake had we just gone ahead.

Back
Top Bottom