1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello I'm New!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Christine Beet, May 14, 2018.

  1. Christine Beet

    Christine Beet Registered

    Hello everyone,

    I just found this Club and it seems to have everything I will need to know for when I find my parrot!
    We are looking for a cockatoo preferably after falling in love with one on holiday in Spain. (Although we had been looking half heartedly last year ) We live in France and have seen a couple for sale in the uk ..... Since we are coming over in June we would love to be able to return - in our motorhome - with another friend!
    Currently I am wading through the mire which is DEFRA !! Still a bit confused about documentation needed to return to France though..... Has anyone any experience that might help us ?

    We would be more than grateful for any information

    Christine B
  2. dianaT

    dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

    :welcome: Christine. I also love cockatoos and had an LSC many years ago.
    I don't know who breeds them (maybe other members can help there) but you may like to have a look at The Parrot society UK website, or email or phone them for advice. They have members UK wide who breed various parrots.

    As for taking your bird back to France I daresay the rule apply as did to @Lisa7284 who recently moved to Spain with her parrot. She may be able to advise you.

    I hope this helps a little.
  3. TomsMum

    TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

    Hi Christine and :welcome: to the forum. Yes Lisa will be able to give you some pointers regarding the DEFRA paperwork, you will also need to understand what the requirements will be from the French authorities.
    What type of cockatoo are you looking at, many cockatoo species are CITES I classification, which would need Article 10cwrtification, so ensure you get that from the seller.

    We’re a friendly bunch here and will do our best to help you
    dianaT likes this.
  4. bikergirl Carol

    bikergirl Carol Regular Member

  5. Michael Reynolds

    Michael Reynolds Regular Member

    Hello and welcome As what has been said not all species of Too's require DEFRA paperwork but you will need to provide proof that the bird is in good health before you can travel to another European country DEFRA are very helpful in giving advice.
  6. Roz

    Roz Regular Member

    :welcome: Christine!

    Also ring up Condor if you intend to travel with them. They are helpful and knowledgeable. I brought my four parrots from the UK to Jersey three years ago. I was asked if any of the species were CITES listed and if so I would need the relevant documents. They will also be able to tell you if you need a passport or similar documents (to state the bird is healthy) - I didn't need any because Jersey is part of the UK. I believe you will be charged for the 'Too's passage over. Ring and speak to them rather than email.

    Hoping Lisa will be able to help you further. :)
    dianaT and Michael Reynolds like this.
  7. plumsmum

    plumsmum Regular Member

    Hi :welcome: You may also like to have a look at Petairuk which is a service run by vets.
  8. Zooamazons

    Zooamazons Regular Member

    Welcome Christine, good luck with finding a suitable bird.

  9. Lisa7284

    Lisa7284 Regular Member

    Hi and :welcome:

    Getting all the paperwork ready for our move to Spain almost sent me nutty. First you will need to contact DEFRA (I did via the telephone- they transfer you to several extension numbers but you get there in end) and request they send you the forms you need (they will know what to send you). They emailed me the EXA03 and 431EHC forms plus some pretty useless guidance notes. Then you need to find an avian vet who is qualified to carryout the travel certification and examination (not all avian vets can and DEFRA don't give you a list even when you request one). But if you contact your vet, they will know if they can or can't- unfortunately mine couldn't so I had to ring around.

    Once you have found your vet you will need to complete the forms and email them back to DEFRA. These forms are basically providing them with information about your parrot, the vet carrying out the certification, where you plan to take them and requesting a health certificate. They will not process these until the week before your final vet visit but I sent mine in early, just in case I made any mistakes and the guy was lovely and checked through them for me.

    Once they have received and processed your forms they will then post a certificate directly to your vet, ready for the examination. I also needed an import certificate from Spain- I had to contact the Spanish version of DEFRA and they emailed it to me.

    Timing is really important. At the time I travelled birds had to have clear test results for Psittacosis, it took about 7 days for the results to be returned. Those results have to be with your vet the day of the examination or they cannot sign the paperwork. You then have a small time-frame in which to travel from the date the vet signs the certificate.

    When I arrived at the Ferry I had my signed health certificate, a copy of the psittacosis results, an export certificate and import certificate (both signed by the vet).

    Hope this helps
    Michael Reynolds and TomsMum like this.
  10. Michael Reynolds

    Michael Reynolds Regular Member

    @Lisa7284 can I ask did any one check the paperwork?
    Lisa7284 likes this.
  11. Lisa7284

    Lisa7284 Regular Member

    @Michael Reynolds Yes, I emailed it and asked someone if they could check it. It must have been a quiet time because 3 hours later I received an email from a guy telling me I needed to add something in one of the sections. I did this and emailed it back. He told me the paperwork was great and would be processed 5 days before my vet visit and the certificate would be sent directly to my named vet.
    TomsMum likes this.