Hello from me and Cocker.

Taz Devil

Registered
Hi, My name is Rob and I have recently adopted an African Grey Parrot.

He used to belong to a friend who due to their working hours decided that he wasn't getting enough human contact and as such reluctantly asked if we would adopt him.
We have had Cocker for 2 weeks today. He hasn't been handled and as such bites anyone that tries to handle him. Except for me, he has developed an unhealthy attraction to me, which means I am able to get him to step up onto my hand and also stroke his head/neck. The rest of the family cannot handle him due to him biting, but if I am with him or close to him he will happily let them stroke his neck.

I will be asking quite a few questions over the next few weeks so please bear with me whilst we figure out his behaviour and get him to accept the rest of the family.
20211110_132414.jpg

:welcome:Rob and Cocker. My only experience with Greys is the same as you are having, our late Lucy loved hubby hated me would fly at me and bite, I still have scars from that. So I cannot offer advice. Do ask away any questions. Let's see what our other members can advise.
Good luck and good for you giving him a caring home and wanting to do your best. @Roz........ anyone please can you advise.

Reactions: Roz
:welcome: Rob and Cocker! How lovely to have adopted Cocker for your friend.

Many parrots tend to bond strongly to one person and that person can change as the parrot matures.
The more Cocker is allowed to bite family members the more ingrained the behaviour. So it is great you have worked out a way of stopping him by being close to him whilst others interact with him. Close proximity to you is an excellent reinforcer.

Also see if you can create other reinforcers your family can use as obviously you can’t be in close proximity all the time. Does he like any special foods/treats? Try pairing an existing reinforcer (close proximity to you) with a potential/new reinforcer ie. have family members give him a treat whilst he’s close to you. Gradually treats should also reinforce relaxed body language without your presence. This is just one suggestion.

Meanwhile, and most importantly, everyone should do their best, by reading his body language (maybe feathers slick down, or those on the hackles rise, eyes maybe pinning, leaning away, etc), not to evoke a bite. You all have plenty of time to work on an individual and special relationship with him. Be sure to keep any stroking to the head and neck, ie not the back, body or wings, so as you are not giving him the impression you want to be his mate which will make his behaviour towards others worse.

You could also try teaching him to target which will open up a whole new relationship as he learns, if I touch that target then I make a treat (or other reinforcer) appear! Everyone can get involved in target training as it is easy to teach inside a cage which would give family members confidence with bars between him and them. You can see how to target train here:

Hi Rob and welcome my grey was exactly the same he passed a
Last year but was totally bonded to me as well its good that you have adopted him and giving him lots of time and love well done you 👍🏿

Hi and welcome from me and my gang
My birds are all deal with just me .... :thinking: probably because I live alone so its either me or do it themselves :risas3: Sorry just kidding I am a parrot slave and a well trained one :)

Welcome to the forum, Cocker is beautiful❤️I don’t have African Grey but they hold special place in my heart, when I was a child friend of our family had one and she was always greeting us with hello when we came for visit.

Back
Top Bottom