Hello everyone

mariah

Registered
Hi all,
I have just joined so hoping i can get some great advice.

I have two budgies called Buzz and Woody ( my little one named them from Toy Story :) ) but someone i know has been given a Lord Derby's Parakeet or also known as Derbyan. The couple who previously had her,the lady wasn't getting on so well with her so they have decided they can not keep her. The lady who has her now boards dogs although at the minute because of the current situation isn't boarding. She is an animal lover and has quite a lot of pets including a aviary.
She doesn't think once she starts getting dogs in again that she will be able to keep the parrot and said it wouldn't be fair to her because she would struggle letting her out. She is very tame and loves being out , she sits with you and is trying to talk , she is saying " hello " she is quite young , a year old.

I have told her that if she can not keep her herself then i would take her and give her a home. I know there is a lot of difference between having budgies and a parrot ,i have been reading up on this specific breed but there isn't loads of information out there . Can anyone give me any info or advice on keeping this breed of parrot, does anyone on here have a Derbyan Parakeet?

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thank You all , Mariah.

mariah

Registered
Hi all,
I have just joined so hoping i can get some great advice.

I have two budgies called Buzz and Woody ( my little one named them from Toy Story :) ) but someone i know has been given a Lord Derby's Parakeet or also known as Derbyan. The couple who previously had her,the lady wasn't getting on so well with her so they have decided they can not keep her. The lady who has her now boards dogs although at the minute because of the current situation isn't boarding. She is an animal lover and has quite a lot of pets including a aviary.
She doesn't think once she starts getting dogs in again that she will be able to keep the parrot and said it wouldn't be fair to her because she would struggle letting her out. She is very tame and loves being out , she sits with you and is trying to talk , she is saying " hello " she is quite young , a year old.

I have told her that if she can not keep her herself then i would take her and give her a home. I know there is a lot of difference between having budgies and a parrot ,i have been reading up on this specific breed but there isn't loads of information out there . Can anyone give me any info or advice on keeping this breed of parrot, does anyone on here have a Derbyan Parakeet?

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thank You all , Mariah.
This is a picture of her that the lady sent me

Attachments

dianaT

Staff member
:welcome: What a lovely bird. we do have a member with a Derbyan but I cannot remember who it is!

I keep and have bred Moustached Parakeets which are similar to look at but not quite as big, they are very nice birds.
If you are able to provide her with a large cage, plenty of toys, good food and time out I would expect her to settle well. However as with most specie best not let out with the budgies, also when either budgies or the Derbyan is out may be wise to just cover the top of the cage so no feet can get bitten.

They can learn quite a few words and my late Squeaky spoke very well, she was 27 when passed away earlier this year. Now I only have her partner and their last chick which is now 11.

I am sure others will be along with more advice, just ask away we all try to help best we can. And well done for considering giving her a loving home.

mariah

Registered
Hi dianaT

Thank you for your reply,

from what i have read she will get to a size of approx 20" , she is around 12" at the min but i think it is 2 years when they reach maturity / full size , am i right?
She was given to the lady with her cage and everything in it so she will come to me in the same cage which is a large opening top one.
I had a look at the Moustached Parakeets, i see what you mean by they look similar, lovely birds .

I know she has tried offering her veg but she isn't keen, she likes her fruit especially apple and grapes ,she also loves monkey nuts or any nuts in shells so she can crack them open. I have been wanting a parrot for years but was a little worried about making sure he or she would get all the correct nutrients and making sure to feed the right foods. I know it is something that comes with experience and i have read a lot about keeping parrots but i wanted to be sure i was doing everything right before i got one. Now the opportunity has come along where i may be getting her but i think i may be disappointed if the lady decides to keep her , obviously that is really good for this little parrot but i don't want to get my hopes up too much if you know what i mean.

Last edited:

dianaT

Staff member
Perseverance is best re fruit & veg, but they all have their preferences. I would not advise any parrot having monkey nuts they can cause breathing problems and most of us do not offer them as much as the bird enjoy.

Some nuts in shell you may need to crack a little first so that she can set a start, I also buy unsalted nuts like cashews, walnuts pistachio, millet sprays are also enjoyed.

It sounds like you may be disappointed if the lady decides she can keep her, but don't forget there are many parrots about that require good homes.

Do keep us up to date.

mariah

Registered
I will let the lady know regarding monkey nuts , thank you. The lady ( Sue ) who she is with is new to parrots .She keeps budgies in an aviary , this little Derbyan was brought home by her husband from the couple who had her before so she is not familiar with looking after larger Parakeets .

The lady who i know quite well said she is a lovely friendly little bird, she has sent me lots of pictures . She said she doesn't think she will be able to keep her and would rather her go to someone she knows than a stranger . She knows i look after my animals well and would have a good home plus she would still get to see how she is . Like you say and i am keeping in mind that she may decide to keep her after all.

If that was the case i would like a bird that needs a home like someone who needs to re home their bird or from a rescue centre preferably around similar size or smaller.

I will keep you updated and anyone else with any advice will be welcome :Lovebird: also anyone with experience with Derbyan Parakeets.

Lauraj

Hello and welcome from me and my two birds, Bo and Fifi.

I have an african grey and a parrotlet, always loved the Deryban parrots! They are beautiful birds!:welcome:

Michael Reynolds

Hello and welcome, the Derbyan are so lovely and have similar ways to the Moustache although slightly larger. I am sure that between us all we can guide you on the best care, I do not think you will be disappointed if you do manage to take her bird on. please keep us up to date

mariah

Registered
Hi and thank you Michael,

i would love to have her so all i can do now is see what happens and i will keep you updated. I am sure if i don't end up with her i will be looking for another bird to give a home to so will deffo need all your help and advice .

mariah

Registered
Perseverance is best re fruit & veg, but they all have their preferences. I would not advise any parrot having monkey nuts they can cause breathing problems and most of us do not offer them as much as the bird enjoy.

Some nuts in shell you may need to crack a little first so that she can set a start, I also buy unsalted nuts like cashews, walnuts pistachio, millet sprays are also enjoyed.

It sounds like you may be disappointed if the lady decides she can keep her, but don't forget there are many parrots about that require good homes.

Do keep us up to date.
@dianaT i let the lady know regarding the monkey nuts that she's been giving her Derbyan Parakeet. She said she picked them up from Pets at Home before things got bad with this virus . They sell them especially for parrots she said so she thought they would be safe . She said maybe they source their ones they sell differently , she isn't sure . I did read up that they can carry fungal spores because they grow underground but don't understand why pets at home are selling them for parrots if they are so bad . She said she doesn't want to give her anything that may harm her .

Michael Reynolds

Aspergillosis is in the air all around us, soft shelled nuts if not stored properly can act like a sponge attracting and holding on to the Aspergillosis. if a bird consumes to much Aspers it will affect there breathing and can cause death, apart from the above reason peanuts and sun flower seeds do not have much energy value compared to other nuts or seeds, they are more fatty than healthy. they are to birds like giving sweets to toddlers. there are many things sold for our pets that are not good for them like the seed bells and other honey seed and nut sticks. most of the vitamin additives I would not recommend even some of the cages can be harmful as birds can get feet caught in the gaps where the different sides are joined, in general the seed and parrot mixes are of a poor quality I will never recommend them. some times the law dose not help when it comes to our loved pets, for instance dog harnesses for safe traveling and restraint in cars, they have not made one yet that has been proven to be safe and can cause injury to the dog that will be worse than not having a restraint in the first place, when they say it will stop your dog from traveling forwards and hitting the person sitting in front of the dog, this at the moment is not true, they have not made any to my knowledge that has not given way in crash tests. unlike humans there is not much in regulations or controls when it comes to pets, One of the reasons Vets recommend pellet's is many people are not feeding there birds a good balanced diet, there are far to many birds that are over weight or lacking the correct nutrients. this is why I am pleased when owners come to this site, they will learn what is best for there birds as although we are not vets we have the knowledge of looking after our feathered friends between our members for many years and are always trying to share our knowledge to help others.

mariah

Registered
I found this yesterday and thought it was interesting regarding monkey nuts for parrots . Basically concerning the quality of the nuts and not to be fed in large quantities.

CaptainHowdy

I don't feed any monkeynuts or peanuts to my birds.

My parrots do get a wide range of nuts however which are all human grade and stored in the fridge for a minimum of 24 hours before feeding.

I don't buy any seed mixes that contain monkeynuts either. I buy the avian specific no peanut no sunflower mix for my parrots. Sunflowers are bought separately as they are offered as training rewards or sprouted with other seeds. But not an every day food.

Michael Reynolds

Human grade and quality parrot mixes use good quality nuts, the problem is you do not know how it has travelled or has been stored, what temperature it has been stored at or the dampness and rodent, bird or insect contamination that will affect even nuts that are not that old. I am not one to use a fridge for short storage (5 degrease recommended) although it can illuminate most virus spools, the problem is the same as putting bread in a fridge it can create dampness that will cause molds and viruses to grow or land quicker, Uv light is one of the best ways of killing the virus and most parrot feed companies and human consumption distributers will use this method. there are very few cases of humans suffering with Aspergillosis problems but It can affect us if the nuts are not treated and stored correctly, ok our birds are far more likely to be affected. I have never bought the wild bird foods even for the wild birds, I do give them some of my parrot foods though.

Oli Fry

Registered
Hi and welcome from me and my greys. I remember someone telling me that Derbyans really like pine or cedar nuts, which are a great and nutritious food if stored correctly. I think this species loves to chew wood and really appreciates lots of room to fly too.

Top Bottom