Hello. Anyone With A Bird Who Suffered A Concussion?

Marta

Registered
Any owner of a bird who has experienced a concussion? How has your bird recovered. My CAG had a contusion (and we suspect a concussion) on 8/31/14 and she is still weak, cannot fly and has several motor deficits. Eating and drinking is ok. 

Hello Marta and welcome to The Parrot Club :)

I'm afraid I don't have any actual experience of this sort of injury on a bird but hopefully other members will be able to help you out.

Can you tell us a little more about what happened, has your bird been seen by an Avian vet?

Hi Marta and welcome from me too. :welcome:

As Lisa said tell us more also your bird needs to see an avian vet if not already done so. I suggest in the meantime keep her quiet and let her rest. But definitely needs to be checked over.

Di

Yes needs a vet to check him/her out, tell us your location and maybe someone can point you in the direction of a good avian vet

Morning Marta, I rescued a grey a few years back, who my vet said had had some sort of head trauma, she however was calcium deficient too and had other problems, she couldn't climb her cage cos her brain wasn't engaging with what her feet did, if you know what I mean.

Firstly I would as the others say take her to your avian vet, get her checked out so you have a rough idea what you are dealing with.

My Myrtle we know now was probably an x aviary bird, our vet thought that she had fallen off her perch because of lack of calcium, hence the other injuries, he didn't hold a lot of hope out for her, we kept going back and forth but decided no more as it was traumatising her more as a he hates being handled.

I adapted her cage, she hated toys, I raised the bottom up so she could still be at to he height she wanted to be, I got rid of the grill and padded the bottom out it used to be with towels and paper on the top so if she fell it was a soft landing, I put her a perch in and she also had access to food and water low down and where the perch is, her cage has all horizontal bars so she can still grip. Everything has been done on Myrtles terms, not on ours, she came out when she wanted to, we never forced her (we had to towel her to get her back) she couldn't fly cos she snipped all her flights and then when they were growing back through she would panic and snap them again. She has also had vitamin supplements I use nutrobal

I could go on for hours about my girl, but to cut a long story short, three years, yes three years later, it's as if someone has flipped a switch. I don't know what has done it, I couldn't ever say, she has other birds now and is part of a flock so is not as nervy, she rips up paper and cardboard boxes, she will play with toys at the bottom of her cage, she still can't do foot to mouthwithfood as most parrots do, and the best thing of all is she can fly, she now comes out of her cage, still when she wants to, she will fly round the room, her feet still aren't great but I was told they probably never will be, quite frankly she terrifies me lol, but she is a bird again she flies back in her cage when she has had enough. She is not the he average grey that everyone wants, she can't step up etc etc, but I love her to bits none the less.

I know this topic is old but I want to tell you about my Galah's concussion (it ends well). When my galah was about 4 months old, my Amazon escapologist Jessy who is a millet spray addict, snuck out of her cage at night and crept over to my galah Isis's cage to steal his millet. Isis being young and naive must have tried to beak her and ended up with a very swollen beak and a nasty bruise on his head. The first I knew about it was when Isis started to have seizures; he would fall off his perch, land on his back and stiffen like he was dead, this would last for about a minute and then he would come round screaming, flapping and confused. It happened on a Saturday night on a bank holiday weekend and it was terrifying for both me and him. It happened approximately 20 times on the Sunday and I was certain he was going to die. I removed his perches except 1 which I placed as low as the cage would allow, I put a duvet at the bottom of the cage covered in newspaper to cushion his falls and because he couldn't eat due to his very swollen beak, I syringe fed him organic baby food. His seizures became less frequent as the bruise on his head got smaller and within a week the seizures had stopped altogether and his beak had recovered enough for him to eat by himself, he lost a few of his crown feathers but all in all he made a full recovery. I didn't think he'd ever be the same bird but I was wrong, his confidence returned quickly although I don't think he'll ever trust Jessy again. This all happened about 8 months ago and we have been problem free up until this last few weeks when he became phobic of me, but thats another story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pringle was a wild ferral ringneck that flew into a window. cracked skull and brain damage. he used to have fits and very strange habits and movements. after a lot of love I can say he is now the best ringneck in my flock he talks and loves to get up to mischief so much so that he was exploring the toys in my green winged macaws cage when he got the clasp of one through the neck and stuck in his mouth. firemen had to cut it free to release it and the chain attached. a bird with concussion need stimulation a rest. I would recommend a vet visit just in case of swelling or internal bleeding

I had a chicken who knocked herself out. neighbours cat jumped on her run and she exploded upwards and smacked her head on a roof beam- was out cold and frankly I thought was dead. Having visiters I put her body in a box to deal with later and was much suprised a few hours later to find my dead hen back from dead if rather groggy. she made a full recovery.
do sometimes get fledgling birds fly into kitchen window in summer (have tried all manner of deterents but still get odd one) those I always place in a dark box no matter how dead they look as often they do come round if given peace and quiet.

This is three years old, but still interesting. It's all useful information, about things like the effects of calcium deficiency. Stuff I need to know because of Chewy and Maddie :) :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom