1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello Again! Lots Of Moulting Feathers??

Discussion in 'Health' started by Unicornprincess, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Unicornprincess

Unicornprincess Regular Member

IMG_1518.JPG IMG_1519.JPG IMG_1522.JPG IMG_1520.JPG IMG_1518.JPG IMG_1518.JPG Hello again..Just wanted some input on moulting? Tiago is losing feathers ,some bigger ,lots of small ones.If you remember I posted last year regarding his'grey downy chest' with no feathers which worried me but his old owners sent me a pic of him the year before in the same state...well those chest feathers never did grow back!! And now he's losing feathers frequently these last few days..I've checked there's no blood on the tips so would this be a moult? He looks scruffy but is very happy in himself,free flying around the house as normal,out of his cage nearly all day,noisy and chatty as usual,in fact perfectly normal apart from these blooming feathers! He's still a fussy eater and will not tolerate a mineral bock in his cage to the point he wouldn't even go into it!!
    I have added a couple of pics.

dianaT likes this.
  2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Its just a moult again, My OWA Charlie is just like Tango although my other two OW's moult a few feathers at a time

3. Unicornprincess

Phew! Thanks for that reassurance Michael..he certainly looks very scruffy!!

4. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Hi Unicornprincess! Looks like a normal moult to me too. Mine have been doing the same. Do you spray him regularly? That will make him look less scruffy and keep the amount of dander down.

5. Unicornprincess

Yes he goes under the shower as he loves it every couple of days.. it's just when he's wet and his grey fluffy feathers on his chest are wet he looks nearly bald bless him He's so happy though so I guessed it probably was...Don't think my Tiago is destined to have green feathers on his chest

Roz likes this.
  6. Roz

Roz Regular Member

That's fantastic he is showered so often. It will definitely help with the condition of his feathers. Haha - maybe he wasn't destined to have a green chest, but at least he can fly and sounds happy. :biggrin: He's got such a lovely face - is he shouting in those pics?

7. Unicornprincess

Yes..Tiago wants cookie..I've never seen a bird negotiate corners like him..Up and down stairs..he has more freedom than my lab lol xx

Roz likes this.
  8. Roz

Roz Regular Member

That's funny!

On a more serious note, I couldn't help noticing the whole peanut in his food bowl. Peanuts contain significant levels of afflatoxins. Afflatoxins are hepatotoxic which means they are destructive to liver cells. Animal grade peanuts with shell on may also contain aspergillus spores which can be dangerous to the respiratory system. I would remove them.

plumsmum likes this.
  9. Unicornprincess

Really Roz? I never knew that.. should he not have peanuts at all then,as I think his amazon parrot food I feed him has peanuts in it?
    I’ll remove them tomorrow

plumsmum and Roz like this.
  10. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

My Roo is moulting well at the moment too, steady flow of discarded feathers. Are you feeding fresh foods; veggies (chop) and a little fruit at all? The correct nutrition helps them produce new feathers. If a bird plucks down its keel bone this often results in a bare line down their front, it doesn't regrow. :)

11. Unicornprincess

Unfortunately I’ve tried loads of different veggies for Tiago and the only consultant thing he will eat is apples and the occasional seedless grape! He’ll eat a little pomegranite if the mood takes him but veg .. no:(
    On his chest do barecti the skin? As you can see his skin when his grey down is wet :( He has about 3 green feathers on it

12. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Keep trying with the veggies, chop works fairly well quite often, lots of things all together. Makes it hard to discard certain things. If they like a certain nut, top dress with grated nut, or a few seeds - once they actually start to eat it, they like it.

13. Unicornprincess

What do you normally put in your chop?

14. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Michael Reynolds likes this.