1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harnesses Training

Discussion in 'Training' started by Sophera, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Sophera

Sophera Regular Member

Hi! Need some advice on training to put a harness on and off, the bird is okay with me lifting wings and feet just afraid of the harness itself!

2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Ah well you have to demonstrate that the harness is the best thing since sliced bread! Carry it around with you, stroke it, tell him how lovely it is, leave it close to his cage, and go up and touch it and talk to him about it...he needs cues from you that this alien monster thing isn’t going to attack him.

Going to tag in @Stinkie who has lots of harness training knowledge and also @Yellowchickenparrot who has recently started his Grey Luna into harness training too

3. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

I found the best way to start was to put it on my hand with my thumb and finger through the neck bit and feed a treat, slowly work the harness down your thumb and finger until it's touching the treat. This helps the parrot feel happy being close to it. Then hold the harness in one hand and open the neck bit and hold a seed in the neck hole with the other hand, slowly get the parrot to stick its head through the neck hole for the treat until you can get to the point you can pop it right on and off with each treat. Eventually the parrot will sit there with it round it's neck and eat treats. This takes months don't rush and if the parrot seems in a bad mood or not interested then don't do any training till later or another day. Good luck.

Michael Reynolds and TomsMum like this.
  4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

there is a video on site showing harness training, I do not remember the page but I wonder if admin can put a link up. I use treats in the same way as yellowchickenparrot when introducing a harness. yhe aviator comes with a good video for training

5. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin