1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hand Reared Vs Parent Reared

Discussion in 'Parrot Chatter' started by angel_uk, Dec 31, 2018.

1. angel_uk

angel_uk Regular Member Registered

Can I ask for pros and cons in small breeds of parrots please?
    Apart from the price.

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Many hobby breeders have been breeding for many years and are very experienced in the birds they have, a good breeder will make sure his stock are well cared for and tested against disease and keep to good hygiene practice. the con side is there are also bad breeders although not so many and its a mine field when you see advertisement's of birds being sold on the web as some people are not honest and are just trying to scam you. not all shops are honest but at least you can see the bird and see how friendly it is with the staff, do not buy a bird if it has been clipped. The practice of wing clipping unfortunately still goes on and instead of a bird liking the human career a clipped bird will rely on a career because it has no choice

Wakizashi21 likes this.
  3. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

co=parented would for me be the ideal. a baby reared by both the parents and the breeder. a baby who knows what he is but also has always known a human touch. not many of these available though as many parent birds would be unhappy with a breeder messing with the babies.

Stinkie and Wakizashi21 like this.
  4. Wakizashi21

Wakizashi21 Regular Member

I would agree with Sunny. A mix is great especially for a baby that needs all the goodies from the parents and for the human to support and the parrot to not fear them. Finding a good breeder can be difficult, but some very trustworthy people out there look after the birds very very well. Wing clipping really does scarr the poor bird forever in most cases so avoid if possible

5. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Agree with SunnyRing especially for the first time owner
    For human with knowledge and experience would say parent reared as in the birds best interest...
    Sunnyring can read a birds next action and reaction by looking without actually realising she's reading the body language :) its second nature to her which as a parrot owner where you need to aim for :)

6. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Yes I do prefer Parent reared but in a few occasions and depending on the owners circumstances for example a young family, not too knowledgeable or experienced in the species or the species they are getting then I will recommend a hand reared bird. the other option is parent reared with human contact, with the Senegal unless you want the bird for breeding and in an aviary then it must have human contact from an early age for it to become a good bird in the home. I have not known any one to tame a wild Senegal that has reached the age of ten months with out human contact. I will never buy a bird that has been clipped and I can never recommend any one to buy such a bird, its not that they cannot fly but because the affects that clipping has on the birds mind although a bird that is disabled through birth that cannot fly is completely different and can only prosper by having a human helper. One important fact is a hand reared bird needs human contact through out its life so unless the career is dedicated to giving the bird plenty of human contact then they should not get a hand reared parrot. there is one exception to this and that is the ringneck, the ringneck can be tamed at any age by an experienced person but it can also turn back to its wild state in a short time if it is not loved and given human contact. I have tamed a ringneck that was aviary and was twenty eight years of age and had little human contact and it now lives very happily with its elderly owner in his home (it took nine months).

7. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Could I possibly throw a spanner and ask if you have thought of adopting a bird from a charity instead? There are many sitting waiting for a new forever home, not old birds either. The charity will give you support and advice with the adoption and after with your own liaison to ask questions. If you think you could be interested please PM me hun for more info? It is another good option to having a parrot in your life and one that many overlook.

RoyJess, sunnyring and dianaT like this.