1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hahn Macaw Baby Breeder

Discussion in 'Parrot Breeders' started by Jase Mistry, Jun 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jase Mistry

Jase Mistry Registered

Hi all,
    I'm looking to get a baby Hahn Macaw. I'm based in the North of England in Manchester, if anyone knows of any reputable breeders, please could you let me know. Happy to travel further if required.
    I recently saw 2 babies but they were both sold with deposit down on them, and I'm struggling to find a good breeder.
    Many thanks

Jaison

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: There doesn't seem many Hahns about at the moment, maybe some of our members can help, but in the meantime do contact The Parrot Society, they have members who are breeders UK wide, best to either phone or email them.:thumbsup:

3. Jase Mistry

Jase Mistry Registered

Hi Diana,
    Thanks for your reply. I've only just come across the Hahn's (i was initially looking at Senegals).
    I've been in touch with the Parrot Society but they are saying I should subscribe to the magazine and that would link me up to potential breeders. :emoji_astonished:

4. dianaT

This is very true. Their monthly mag is full of information and where many breeders advertise, it is £22 a year. They also hold shows and meetings throughout the year and you will find details in the mag about them. In my opinion well worth subscribing too.

5. Jase Mistry

Jase Mistry Registered

Thanks Diana. I'm going to the event they have on the 1st July in Staffordshire. I will set up the subscription. I think they are going to send me a copy of the magazine to have a look at and will set up the subscription if its useful.

Michael Reynolds and dianaT like this.
  6. CaptainHowdy

CaptainHowdy Regular Member

Be very careful buying from bird shows. You get a lot of unscrupulous people selling at these shows and you have no way of getting in touch if something goes wrong.
    You also can't be certain that you aren't picking up diseases as you go around.

You are much better off using it as a way to network and find a reputable breeder to purchase a bird at a later date when you have had time to look into the breeder and ask plenty of questions and they've had time to check you aswell.

7. Jase Mistry

Jase Mistry Registered

Hello captainhowdy,

That's how I intend to use the show - just to network and find a reputable breeder. I'm so anxious about finding a good breeder.

dianaT and CaptainHowdy like this.
  8. dianaT

I don't think hand reared birds are allowed to be sold at PS show these days, not at their main shows anyway.

9. CaptainHowdy

CaptainHowdy Regular Member

They aren't meant to be but this really doesn't stop people.

I stopped going a couple of years back when someone was taking birds they knew had pbfd to sell there.

10. dianaT

I haven't been for many years it is too far from here, but did go regularly before we moved, in those days all sorts were sold.
    I hope whoever was taking birds there known to have pbfd were reported to the PS at the time.

11. Francesca

Francesca Registered

Tropical Birdland in Leicestershire have a few hahns chicks at the moment. Might be worth giving them a shout.

@Jase Mistry

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2018
    Michael Reynolds likes this.
  12. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello and welcome to this friendly site. Do you have any Parrots? the site is full of information and advice and many photos of our feathered friends