Grooming

KazLacey

Morning All,
Just wondered if you all regularly take your birds to the vets for nail clipping and beak grinding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ermm, nope, they wear down themselves mainly, occasionally one refuses to do so, so I suppose you may have to, I have been lucky.

I wondered if that was the case. Thank you so much. Just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing by my GCC.

Only if getting overgrown... I used to have to tip the end of my concourse beak with nail clippers, personally i would ‘t do claws myself, as you have to be very careful not to hit the blood supply.

If you have good perches like the Polly’s Sandwalk or similar then that should keep the claws down nicely, and lots of chewing wood toys keeps the beaks busy.

I must admit with my two, and especially Frodo, a beak trim every few months is necessary. No matter how much that boy chews on wooden toys (and he does a lot) he ends up with a beak like a needle, which he then uses to extract blood on the sly that he licks up like a little green vampire!

Thanks all.
Got the sand walk perches x2 so hopefully that will keep claws in check.
I guess the beaks gonna hurt whatever when they are as hormonal as mine is [emoji51]

My lot go to the vets for their claws and their beaks checking on their yearly heath check only one usually needs a bit of a tidy up and that is Alfie the BFA usually its just a little bit off the sides, mainly because only have one pair of hands and they all seem to want to wriggly like cans of worms when you don't have more than one pair of hands to do stuff! :)

Its only Conker that I have to keep her nails trimmed as they grow extra fast and will curl and she can get stuck on the bars if I did not, I would never trim the beak though but I have not had a problem with any of the birds I have had regarding the beak

@TomsMum Agree with the Sandwalk, been a real help to mine and works 9 times out of 10. Little birdies tend to chew the stull of, grrr, they are not cheap perches, they do not make them big enough for Lucy Macaw and hers are becoming long just hope we move in time.

It is rare that a bird needs a beak trim. I would never touch a beak unless it was overgrowing wildly or something else was wrong eg. scissors beak. There are nerves and blood in the beak. Hope the sand walk perches work to blunt the claws. :thumbsup: I trim Ollie's, Chico's and occasionally Kobe's claws myself. Am working on teaching Bobbie to hold her feet still for a claw trim. The vet cut her nails too short the one and only time I took her. Never allowing him to cut her nails again.

Back
Top Bottom