1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grill Or Not To Grill A Caique

Discussion in 'Housing' started by Lee B, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Lee B

Lee B Registered

Hi everyone, I will be getting a Caique in the next couple of months and have purchased most things for it including a cage.
    What are peoples views especially if you own one on keeping the cage grill in or out.
    I know they like to play around on the floor and wondered if there is a possibility they could damage themselves on the grill.
    Then there is the thought of them rolling around in their droppings if it's taken out.
    I have researched it and people seem divided but I can't find anything where people have experience of it that own them.
    Thanks
    Lee

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hi , My flock enjoy playing on the floor , so I cover the grill with layers of newspaper then remove a layer when needed, and renew the whole lot as appropriate. Also if the drop a favourite piece of food they can retrieve it whereas if it falls through the grill they cannot get to it.

DizzyBlue and JessCheekyMia like this.
  3. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I do not use a grill with my caique as he just loves playing on the floor with his toys and when he jumps about he would have the chance of his foot going through the grill. he normally rolled the paper up in the corner or two and sometimes hides under it in play

JessCheekyMia likes this.
  4. Michael Reynolds

Hello and welcome Lee

5. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

I put paper on the grill so that the birds don’t catch their wings if rolling around playing

JessCheekyMia likes this.
  6. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

Cover the grill with paper, mine love to play on the floor of the cage, dont have any issues of them rolling in poop, maybe occasionally but they also loveee a bath so its quickly cleaned off

I also have a little box full of foot toys placed on the floor of the cage and they love this, place it where it wont get pooped in, not under a favourite perch for example.

TomsMum likes this.
  7. Michael Reynolds

Unfortunately my Cacique just will remove the paper and expose the grill and for his safety I had removed it

8. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Was wondering if I actually wanted to look at this thread :risas3:
    Grilling or not grilling Caiques does bring some right odd pictures into my brain! Braincell sat there going oven baked, fried or BBQ :yikes:
    Welcome to the forum think the consensus is no grilling from this lot :biggrin: I have papers on top and below my grills for my flock even though they are African greys and amazons they love being on the floor of their cages playing with toys and I would worry about them sticking their leg through the bars to grab something that had dropped below or perhaps misplacing their footing with a bit of forward motion you'd end up bit bruising on the leg in best case if the leg ring gets jammed them wouldn't want to think of what damage nor the vets bill :crybaby2:

dianaT likes this.
  9. RoyJess

RoyJess Regular Member

All our floor grills are covered with paper regardless of the breed of bird we have. We place 7 layers of paper on the floor and remove a layer each day. Once the last layer has been removed, it's time to give the cage a full clean.

I like to cover the grill floor for many reasons, a couple of reasons includes stopping the birds from getting feet/wing trapped, it is also easier to remove a layer of dirty paper than it is to clean poop off the grill.

Michael Reynolds and dianaT like this.
  10. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

Also want to add.. My caique Archies old cage had the grill in, it had to stay in because of the design of the cage. But if you can remove your grill and there's no gaps for escape then I would recommend that as my caiques new cage has no grill or pull out tray and I just pop papers on the bottom and change them everyday, very simple and easy, grills need cleaned and there is always the danger of feet or wings getting caught in them and they do remove the paper occassionally, mine seem to love playing with the newspaper

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  11. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I agree Heather that is a good point, the design of some cages leaves no option but to leave the grill in, but for those who wish, it it easy to cover those with paper as I do. Tommys cage would have a massive gap if I took the grill out!

Heather2131 likes this.
  12. Lee B

Lee B Registered

Thanks for the welcome and replies, great advice. I will cover the grill if the gap it leaves is too large otherwise I'll take it out altogether.
    Thanks.

13. RoyJess

RoyJess Regular Member

I leave the grills in place, I just cover them with paper and I also place some paper below on the tray underneath, you will be surprise how much food and muck ends up beneath the grills despite covering them with 7 sheets of paper.

14. Setanta

Setanta Regular Member

There's another option. Place paper under the highest perch to catch the morning poop. Always the biggest. Remove it and the grill will remain in a better state for the rest of the day.
    Mine have no problems with the grill, as you'd expect from a bird which is designed to climb trees

TomsMum likes this.