1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greenwing Macaw

Discussion in 'Breeding And Babies' started by Wakizashi21, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Wakizashi21

Wakizashi21 Regular Member

Hi all,

Anyone know of a Greenwing Macaw breeder or seller around the West Midlands? One of my closest friends is looking to buy or rehome one. Iv been teaching him over a year now...about parrots and comes weekly to interect with mine...and to be fair to him hes really good. He has alot of understanding of parrots now and has been bugging me to find him a greenwing.

Please do let me know.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

2. Wakizashi21

Or close to 2 hours drive...i suppose i would have to drivr him tooo lol

3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

A little early in the year for chicks.....you could check whether Tropical Birdland Desford near Leicester are likely to have any breeding this year.

Wakizashi21 likes this.
  4. Wakizashi21

I will check up on that tomorrow. No idea what the price range is for them either...but he has seeen sooo many videos of them hes gone crazy!

5. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I will say I love my green wings and I can understand looking at the videos of them on you tube just how attractive they can be. but when the macaw calls it is very loud and its not like Busters that is ear piercing as it is a lower frequency that is made to travel far through dense jungle. they are also the most messy of the flock with there food being thrown around and they can throw it a long way. A Large macaw is different in the care they expect from us and being one of the most intelligent parrots they need a lot of stimulation and things to do. they have one of the strongest beaks and that can and must be respected and understanding of there way is a must. the green winged are known for being gentle but not all are so getting the trust of these birds are a must. the cage has to be extra strong or you will be forever replacing them. they need a very large cage that alone can cost as much or more than the bird itself. there are a few that come through rescue groups but unfortunately I cannot mention the groups on this site apart from the RSPCA but I can say is look up on the internet. you asked about the cost well I have seen these birds being sold from £1300 to £2700 just lately so in it self they can be a financial commitment. feeding them can alone add to there costs as I recommend getting palm, brazil and walnuts on top of a fruit veg and seed diet. these birds can be super destructive. Jackie has broken so many other cages . light fittings and bulbs broke doors off cupboards of Couse things like telephones cameras and other smaller items have no chance of survival once there beaks get in to them. Vet charges are defiantly the top end and unless you have a good fund pot I will recommend getting them insured. Even the insurance can work out a financial cost that should be taken into consideration. After all the negative things I have mentioned I love them and if I have to choose my favorited flock member it would be difficult but it would be Jackie JJ. I am not one that believes in having smaller birds as a first bird but strongly recommend study and if possible meeting some green winged first and learn about them so they can make the correct choice. every bird is different and no matter how much experience you have taking on a large macaw is not like the amazons ,Too's, greys or other species I am adopting Nobby and Bailey from the rescue group I work with and these birds had been taken on by another member whom had experience with parrots but found them difficult and even got bit by Nobby and I give him respect as he realised he was not capable of giving them the best for making them happy so they was passed to me to look after as I had experience with macaws. Please carry on your research and even get your friend to join. I am in kent but I will open my home to him to come and meet mine and get to know just what he may be taking on so he has the best chance of giving a forever home and with as much knowledge as possible. By the way when it comes to getting the correct bird then distance dose not come into it I travelled the other side of Manchester to pick up Jackie JJ and apart from the feeling of sadness to her owner whom was wonderful I can say I am so happy that I was given the opportunity to provide a home for such a wonderful bird.

plumsmum and Wakizashi21 like this.
  6. Wakizashi21

Thanks Michael for all the information. Brilliant to read and an eye opener for me and him. I have asked him to join here...but will copy across what you have said. Much appreciate the offer to visit you...really kind of you. Which rescues do you work for? Really good to hear what you do for all the parrots. Definately gives me motivation to carry on what i have started here in Bham myself.

7. marley

marley Regular Member

I think these have a fair reputation, they are related to the old Becks bird barn, never been myself but understand they have good standards

http://www.beckspets.co.uk/

Wakizashi21 likes this.
  8. Wakizashi21

Thank you. Will try them too

9. Bradders

Bradders Parrot Power! Staff Member Moderator

Ruby was from Beck’s. She’s been a dream. They were very good when we bought her and asked us to phone daily in the first few days of us having her to check what she was eating and see how she was settling in.

10. Michael Reynolds

I will not mention the rescue group I work with as it is against the rules of this site and the last thing I would want is to break the rules I do not know if I am allowed to PM you with the details that would be up to Bob and admin staff. Personally I also do my local service of Homing and rehoming and supplying full set up of mainly budgies and cockatiels and even finches to lonely elderly as companion birds. This I do at my own expense and no monies are ever exchanged. My main objective is to educate and promote the well being and care for parrots and displaying flock members to the public at events or local talks. there are some brilliant programs set up in some US states that even use the care of parrots to help one time criminals gain a séance of responsibility and a reason for them to change there bad ways. Parrots help me with my anxiety they give us as much as what we give them but they are by far not the easy pet to keep in a home and can force changes on us in our ways and how we do things plus what we use. I like to be strait letting people understand the commitment needed as I personally hate seeing birds being rehomed unless there is a good reason that includes Health, Age or change in circumstance.

Wakizashi21 likes this.
  11. Wakizashi21

I totally agree and its fantastic what your doing. Im just in the process of working with a charity i got my Hahns Macaw from. Just to give something back

plumsmum likes this.
  12. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

People can easily get in touch with the various charities and rescues directly via their web pages or FB accounts.

A caveat to anyone considering rehoming.......please be careful that you understand the “rules” of the particular charity/rescue in terms of ownership, veterinary care, etc....
    and most importantly understand fully what health checking and disease testing has been done and that appropriate quarantine takes place. There have been too many reports of late of unexpected deaths, no quarantining, and a growing incidence of reported cases of PBFD.

marley, Bradders and Michael Reynolds like this.
  13. Michael Reynolds

I have to agree fully with TomsMum I have looked into many charities and there rules and regulations and costs or yearly membership fees are involved. no matter what bird joins the flock if it has not been recently tested then it must be quarantined and fully vet checked.

Wakizashi21 likes this.