1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green Amazon Breeders

Discussion in 'Parrot Breeders' started by Juliet Taylor, May 2, 2018.

1. Juliet Taylor

Juliet Taylor Regular Member

Hello looking for a green amazon breeder in the uk. Any recommendations would be much appreciated

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: You may like to try The Parrot Society UK where many UK breeders advertise. You can find details of how to join the PS on-line.

Which part of the UK are you in that may help some of our members on here who may know of breeders.

3. Juliet Taylor

Thank you, will do. I'm in Farnham, Surrey. We've just lost our beloved Charlie to viral gout crystals. He was only 15. We're utterly shocked and devastated. I think the parrot society would be very helpful.

4. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Oh I am so sorry to hear of Charlies passing I know how you feel as 2 weeks ago today one of my Senegals passed away, the PM showed he had a tumour on the liver, he was 22 and the first one we hand reared. He was Jaffa the one in my avatar/profile.

Yes do have a look at the PS. you can joint hem on-line for a small yearly fee and receive their monthly mag which is full of interesting information and UK breeders/hobbyists advertise there. Do keep us up to date.

JessCheekyMia likes this.
  5. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello and welcome. I am so sorry to hear about your Charlie. My Charlie is my avatar at the moment when you say a green amazon , do you know what species he was? if you are not certain you can pop a photo on here and I or others will identify him. there are a few local breeders in kent and surrey but it may be good to find out your local bird shows. the local paper are normally able to help you find them

6. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

Hello and welcome Juliet. I am so sorry to hear your beloved Charlie passed away, it is the most painful feeling when they pass.
    I am sure Charlie will be happy and proud you are looking at giving a Amazon a loving home.
    I don't know of any breeders but like Diana suggested the parrot society is a good place to start.
    X

7. Juliet Taylor

Attached Files:

8. Juliet Taylor

Hello thank you for your advice. Have tried to upload my Charlie. Hope you can find it. Will look out for bird shows.

9. Juliet Taylor

Thank you. We've been utterly shocked and devastated by Charlie's death. Will have a good look at the PS. X

JessCheekyMia likes this.
  10. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Hi Juliet and :welcome:, it's great to have you join us. I am so sorry for your loss of Charlie, I like Diana have recently lost a feathered loved one; a Rose Breasted Cockatoo so know your pain. I have another Cockatoo a girlie this time and she is 11 y/o. Whilst looking I noticed there are many Amazons out there that need good homes would you consider one that is older? I didn't want to have to go through their adolescent phase and am so pleased to have found Roo. You have loads of experience with Charlie and that is invaluable in getting to know and ease a new member into your home. :)

Juliet Taylor likes this.
  11. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi and welcome to the forum from me and my gang sorry its under such sad circumstances.
    There are two forms of gout visceral and arterial I think you will find your bird had the former.
    Make sure when you choose your amazon that not only has it had a good breeder who has weaned it onto an varied diet and it is eats fruit and veggies, but that it is also from disease tested stock so you start with a "clean slate" so to speak if you are intent on taking on a youngster. Then when you take ownership ensure you supplement the diet with a really good supplement. A lot of us on here use Nutrobal to ensure that they get all the vitamins and minerals they need.
    Are you intending to go for hand rear or are you willing to go the extra 9 yards and have a parent reared and build the trust and friendship. The latter does make for an excellent friend one you build the trust and friendship.

our Kev may be able to point you in the direction of a breeder or indeed one of our other members may. @KEV H @Parrot797 so too would Diana's suggestion of the parrot society :)
    What particular species are you going to look for? I have a Blue Fronted and also a Double Yellow Headed both males so can be a bit of a handful at breeding time lol but wouldn't swap them for the world!

KEV H and Juliet Taylor like this.
  12. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi Juliet and :welcome: to the forum, I’m so sorry that you join us under sad circumstances, fly free dear Charlie, a yellow Crowned Amazon just like my Chiko.

Juliet Taylor likes this.
  13. Juliet Taylor

Thank you so much for your advice and info on Charlie's diagnosis. Also advice on looking for another parrot. My history is that I grew up with Enrico. He lived a good old age first living with my Grandma and then with us when I was much younger. He was grabbed from rainforest so not sure of age but certainly in the family for years. I found Charlie on birdtrader and fell in love with his photo because he looked so like my Enrico. We picked him up last October from his owner who had him for 14 years (so we rehomed him.,) We had him exactly 6 months and he died suddenly on Monday (no warning despite an infection also detected in pm.) The owner is still in touch and is obviously devasted too. My plan now is for getting a young bird so I am able to influence diet and look after him/her with regular vet checks. We all would like a parrot like Charlie and Enrico if possible as we love the colours and both parrots were so special. I hope someone is able to steer us in the right direction. Thanks again for your advice.

14. Juliet Taylor

Sorry for your loss too. My history is that I grew up with a parrot called Enrico who was in the family for years. I then found Charlie on Birdtrader last October who had been with his previous owner for 14 years, we were blessed with 6 months owning him - too short! We all loved Charlie so much despite knowing him for such a short time. I'm nervous of rehoming again and wonder if I have a young one I can influence health/ diet more with regular health checks. However no regrets rehoming Charlie, just very bad luck he died so young.

15. Juliet Taylor

This is my 2nd yellow crowned Amazon, I can't imagine having any other bird

TomsMum likes this.
  16. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

@Juliet Taylor I am so sorry that you only had Charlie for such a short time. Was it bad luck or just spiteful people? My gilr Roo has many health problems, heart murmur, high cholesterol, enlarged Liver which was all a bit of a shock, to be so bad. These were the same issues I lost my boy through. But you know what I am so pleased that Roo chose me in that god damn awful place, being fed a death diet, veggies two times per week phuh? She is very sweet and deserves every chance I can give her. Can help you find another, just PM me be pleased to help. :)

17. Juliet Taylor

No lovely owner, very loving. I think Charlie's diet was very limited and my vet referred me to Birdworld for some advice to up the fruit and veg. I did what I can but it must have been too late. Charlie was very resistant to anything new and I was always concerned that I didn't make him sick! He may have been ill back in December when I saw the vet who thought his feet looked sore - (probably early stages of gout?) Poor love. He was really happy though so I get comforted from that. I am looking for a new parrot so any help would be lovely, thank you. My girls are desperate for a new feathered friend but seem to think I can just pick one up from Sainsburys! I am very happy for you that you have found Roo and that you are giving her a good life.

18. KEV H

KEV H Regular Member

Hi the breeder who i got my amazons dosant breed yellow crowns he does double yellows lilacs bluefronts and 2 yellow nape species I got a parvipe there very similar to yellow crowns but get yellow on there napes (back of head) he lives in Scotland tho but I could ask