1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got These Plants

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Yellowchickenparrot, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

2. Yellowchickenparrot

Got these plants in a sale, I'm aloud to put anything that is safe in the aviary and the rest are going in the garden. Any pointers to what ok

3. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Well the Kentish Cob nut is a favourite with the bigger parrots but if you put it in the aviary it most likely would not last, as leaves will be pulled off and no fruit will be produced. I would grow it outside and crush the nuts for the smaller parrots and crack them open for your grey. three of my greys love them but the other two will only eat the crushed nuts.

dianaT likes this.
  4. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Ooo I love a good plant bargain.

Rhododendron definitely for the garden as poisonous....do check the others against the list, my brain fog won't recall what the spotty leaves and berries one is.

My Chiko loves cob nuts, I ordered from one of the Kent farms, and they freeze very well if you just crack the shell slightly. It’s the first thing he goes for in his fresh food pot.

5. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I just pick them from the farm we have a few Kent cobs here

dianaT likes this.
  6. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Dogwood is safe
    Poaceae species of miscanthus hmmm not sure about that one but being a grass its going to be nailed to the wall in two minutes
    Is that a variegated holly? If so it's not aviary suitable either
    Kentish cobnut also known as the filbert tree … is actually really common hazel that has been cultivated to grow a slightly larger nut than in the wild … perfectly safe and very destroyable. Brilliant for bee's in the garden by the way so perhaps don't stick it in the aviary where it will be dead before autumn due to chainsaw beaks stick it in the garden and they can have the wood you prune off it the following year trimming it and the fruit int eh autumn is be a lovel surprise for those busy beaks.
    Next time your buying get hold of a really good bamboo that;s brilliant for little kakarikis to hide in and destroy :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Wendy Cooper-Wolfe likes this.
  7. Yellowchickenparrot

Thanks so much, we were looking for a few bits for the garden and just grabbed what was left in the sale. Trying to find bamboo is so hard I have been looking for ages and only ever found some small bits of massively over priced bamboo.

8. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

B&Q sometimes have reasonably priced bamboos

9. Yellowchickenparrot

When I'm over that way I will pop in, cheers

10. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

Is that one of your children on the 4th photo. super cute looking out off the window.

11. Yellowchickenparrot

Yes Jess she was horrified I went out the house and just left her lol.

12. Wakizashi21

Wakizashi21 Regular Member

Lovely photos! I do love a good plant bargain myself. I definitely want a citrus tree. Have been looking for ages. Will have a look at the kentish tree too. The parrots would love to just shred through it especially Coco. During the winter he has destroyed around 4 books

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomsMum and Yellowchickenparrot like this.
  13. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

bamboos certainly grow quite quickly, but I would say its worth spending out to get a slightly bigger one and then let it spread. Dora loves chewing the stems and stripping the leaves and we have repotted several to bring to the new garden and start a bambooserie

TomsMum and Yellowchickenparrot like this.
  14. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

My large bamboo's I bought four for the aviary managed 2 year before the little dudes (especially the kaks) killed them completely lol perhaps I should have rotated them two in and two out to allow them to recover from tiny beaks stripping them. One thing to remember Andy is if you leave them in their pots in the aviary make sure you pile lots of stone onto the top of the soil to stop any mice deciding to make it a home by burrowing into the pot and digging out a tunnel under the roots inside. I made that mistake in the first year and never a blinking gain. I got my really huge bamboos from B&Q think I put a photo on here at the time couldn't see out of my old car as I slightly "over cooked" how much I could fit in ha ha ha it was rammed full with the pots in the boot and the foliage right through into the passenger seat at the front and my car wasn't a small car :p it had to become a tardis

15. Yellowchickenparrot

Owwww, I want to go to b&q lol