GOT MY BIRD, NOW WHAT?

Samin Alakozay

Registered
Hi parrot community!!!

I’m now a proud owner of a Cockatiel, this post will be a lengthy post as I need help from experienced cockatiel/bird owners

I will be going through my journey bit by bit as I might have missed something that could be serious or if you have tips on what to do different then PLEASE let me know.

THE STORY:

I drove from London to Nottinghamshire, for EMBBA bird event! I was shocked to see the amount of birds and the amount of people that love birds!! HUGE!!!!

I had no idea what I was going to end up with, I could have returned with a MACAW or a Finch!

I feel in love with cockatiel, I explained to the breeder that I’m not looking to breed these birds if it happens naturally than fine, if not I just want a pet.

Having expressed that I’m looking for the most tame bird he has he went to a different cage and gave the cockatiel that I have right now, my concern is that its been really “week/shy/ quite”

He claimed that he bird is 2 years old (early 18) the bird does have a RING on his foot but im not sure what to look for to validate his claim, im concerned that he might of lied as he didn’t fight or kick when removed from the cage just accepted his fate.

The other 2 birds my friend brought from the same breeder(for a friend) were going crazy in the car even though they were all covered equally, flapping around and making nose while my bird sat there very quietly.

I made a mistake and drove from Nottinghamshire to Liverpool to pick up a tortoise, so these birds were in the car for a good 400miles not counting the journey from the breeder to the bird show! If I felt so tired that I was barely able to move then the birds must have been really tired and stressed, isit normal for a bird to be so shy/tired/not active???

The plan:

I left the bird in the cage I brogut it last night, changed the water and put more seeds in there, I did not want to stress the bird further and remove it from the cage being being on the road for 24hours or so.

The cage we have for her: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yaheetech-African-Cockatiels-Parakeets-Lovebirds/dp/B01C6VUY60/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=parrot+cage&qid=1572863850&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNEJENkEwTVRIWlRSJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTY0MjY4MzJMMjdDSDJBWUlHNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODA0NDU5MkI5WUdYSlNRT0pDWSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Plan is to transfer the bird into the new cage later on today, trying to give her as much time as needed before changing her environment once again.

Once this happens, after 3-4 weeks, im thinking of intruding a male similar age to her as I HATE seeing birds alone!

Once l let the bird settle for 1-2 weeks I want to take her to the VET to make sure shes okay the breeder did come across very slightly shifty as he was hesitant to give me his phone number.

From the bird show I got some seeds for cockatiel, that expire in 2022 (Not sure if this is even possible)

But yh guys as mentioned this was a long post

Anyone that’s READ this and gives feedback /TIPS/TRICKS/thoughts !!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

It means more than you think!!!

bird!.jpg

dianaT

Staff member
Time will tell re your lovely tiel. It will take a while to settle down. If you can get some Guardian Angel from the Bird care Company this may well help, and in time some vitamins too although not to overdo them. . I am sure those with Tiels will be along with good advice. You could introduce some apple then other fruits and veg which it may enjoy also millet spray.
Does she have a name?

JessCheekyMia

Just give her some quiet time. Introduce yourself and her surroundings gradually. I know with all my tiels that they can get scared easily. She is in a whole new place and she needs to get use to a stranger. But in time she will get use to you.
I was lucky with my last 2 that I bought them as a pair so they had each other for comfort. They were also bought straight from a breeder so there was little stress as they went from their fist home to mine. I gave them their space for a good 24hours to settle down. If you feel that she is not well then the best advice will be to look for a avian vet.
I will tag some experts @sunnyring @Michael Reynolds @Stinkie @DizzyBlue .

Michael Reynolds

Thank you for the tag Jess. first of all I would get her/him into the new cage as soon as possible as it will fill more comfortable having a bigger space and also it will give a chance for your bird to settle, the cage you brought him/her back in was only used for traveling and would not of been the cage your bird was used to. being that the bird did not struggle could mean your bird is used to human contact and that is good. get yourself an airtight container for the dry feed to be stored in, also provide some slices of apple, carrot and lettuce, toys mine love toys with bells on, ropes, mirrors and things that shine have you managed to look at the underside of the tail feathers, is there stripes going across or is the colours more solid?

Samin Alakozay

Registered
@dianaT @Michael Reynolds @JessCheekyMia @sunnyring @Stinkie @DizzyBlue
guys im sorry to tag everyone but this doesn't seem normal and i need help.
slightly panicked right now....
he's too tame for comfort, i put my hand in his box, picked him up and put him in the cage, she's not fighting at all! or making any noise not even moving around
seems to be in shock! for a new bird im expecting some kind of fight!
i remember the breeder telling me he got her from the aviary so im not even too sure how much human interaction its had
I've attached some photos, its just sitting there not moving, not making the slightest of noises
im actually slightly angry and panicked, am i the owner of yet another sick bird???
like i can put my hand in and its not bothered what i do, i can stroke touch hold him its okay with whatever im doing
its just sitting there staring at me

thanks guys!

bird 1.jpgbird 2.jpgbird 3.jpgbird 4.jpg

Stinkie

Staff member
I'm not a vet, but she doesn't look sick to me. She's in high alert and obviously very freaked out (she has her body feathers flush to her skin and the crest is up). Just leave her alone to settle down and watch you for a bit. If you can dim the lights a bit too that would help. Don't panic,

Samin Alakozay

Registered
@dianaT @Stinkie she was eating in her smaller cage but since going into the bigger one she's not moved only when i play birds sining on youtube and only called out once too thats it
not done a poop or ate or had water for over an hour now,

not moving much either it seems to stand at times a little bit slanted not too sure whats going on

Stinkie

Staff member
Seems like the food is quite a way away from her and she's not comfortable enough at the moment to get to it, although an hour is no time really. Can you try and wedge a slice of apple near where she's perching, or clip some greens with a peg? If she nibbles on that the moisture from the food will see her through, but mostly just stand back and leave her alone. If she's so much in shock that she's not moving when you touch her it doesn't mean she's happy for you to do that. Let her come to you in her terms.

CaptainHowdy

Can you cover the back half of the cage. At the minute the bird is seeing it can be approached for 3 side and above. This will make the little one nervous.

If you cover the back half of the cage they can only be approached from a small section of the cage which will make them more comfortable.

If you have any millet sprays try clipping on near to them so they have something to eat.

But most importantly leave them to settle.

Birds react differently to stress. Just keep an eye and ensure they're eating.

Samin Alakozay

Registered
@Stinkie i moved her on the second Pearce same level as the food and water and fruits... she’s not moved as of yet and she’s leaning to her left (our right)
She’s current not ate as of yet and is looking at me intensely. I might just leave her alone for tonight and then the lights off and check up on her tomorrow ?
4FE571AB-1818-4F3E-8BA5-D71355617F5C.jpeg

Michael Reynolds

you may just have a very calm tiel , ok your bird is still settling in and will get settled in the new surroundings. tiels in the wild can travel a long time to find water and the grasses they like. they are quite hardy little characters. it not unusual to have the bird being quiet at first, especially one that in the past was handled a lot, looking at your photos your bird looks fine, but with any new bird I always recommend a visit to the vets. well I think you just have a friendly bird whom needs to settle and get to know you. they normally eat more in the morning. its a good idea to play other tiels sounds as your bird may of got used to others around.

Samin Alakozay

Registered
Hi guys
Just an update so in the morning I can see that she’s done some poop, but the food doesn’t look like it’s been touched
She more active however.... it looks like she’s having a really bad panic attack

I turned the lights off and currently waiting for her to calm down but she kept on doing this while screaming

isit possible that she doesn’t know where the food is?

Stinkie

Staff member
She's not panicking she's having a normal morning activity burst, she just wants to have a flap around and she's getting familiar with the cage layout as you can see by her missing the perches and cage bars. She'll find the food stop worrying she's fine.

Top Bottom