1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good News And Bad News

Discussion in 'Parrot Chatter' started by LemonZaz, Oct 30, 2018.

1. LemonZaz

LemonZaz Regular Member Registered

Good news:
    Little bird sat on me for half an hour today, grooming me i think lol. Felt like he was preening my hair, although then he started on my ear and got a hit over zealous. He was so intent on grooming it that he slipped off my shoulder onto my lap lol. Still wont allow scritches but its lovely that hes happy on me :)

Bad news:
    It would appear im very allergic to him! Swollen itchy eyes, insanely itchy nose, lots of sneezing and my asthma is worse (always been very mild). Is anyone else allergic to their birds? How do you cope with it? I already hoover 2-3 times a day. Should i shower him? Im not sure he'd be ready for it just yet...

2. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

Glad to hear he's becoming tamer with you. I don't have anything to say on how best to deal with allergies (I presume you've already thought of antihistamines), but I will point out that cockatiels are known for producing more feather dust than most other parrots (other high dust producers include their relatives the cockatoos, and African greys), so it may well be his dust that is triggering your asthma.

LemonZaz likes this.
  3. Rain

Rain Parrot Sniffer Regular Member

I can only say what helps me ...... frequent baths (him, not you), air purifier and Beconase Nasal Spray (can be used long term).
    I'm not allergic to my Ri, as such, but do have dust allergies which can be made worse if he's extra dusty - and the Beconase helps with my animal allergies. The Beconase does take a few days to work though.

LemonZaz and DizzyBlue like this.
  4. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Do you have an air purifier. if not suggest look at getting one. But ensure that it is a TRUE HEPA filter...this will help filter the dust out of the air.
    Try damp dusting, with either a cloth or kitchen paper as that helps gather up the feather dust, rather than move it about.
    Also regularly change cage papers, etc.

The link below explains about HEPA filters
    https://www.holmesproducts.com/blog/archive/2014/october/what-does-hepa-mean?.html#

LemonZaz and Rain like this.
  5. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Some birds can aggravate asthma unfortunately and its one of the things known asthmatics should always be aware of.
    Cockatiels, cockatoo's African Greys are very "dusty" birds with the amount of feather dander they shed.
    The fact your having itchy eyes and if you have a streaming nose to go with it would mean you're allergic
    Sooooo beddy byes time with little one coming into your bedroom … is now banned. Sorry no easy way to put it.
    The other things suggested by other members are excellent ideas remember though baby tiel can't be with you for the net 20 years or more best if your going to do this you get yourself in to a good routine now so as not to get any build up of dander that will effect you.
    I find when I get chesty a nice hot steamy bathroom with deep breathing in there works well for me as well as my birdies :)

JessCheekyMia, Rain and LemonZaz like this.
  6. LemonZaz

LemonZaz Regular Member Registered

Thanks everyone, ill have a look the air purifiers and get some nasal spray in. Ive just damp dusted the whole room too.
    His papers get changed every day and cage wiped down every 3 days. Ill shower him each day when hes ready for it too :)

7. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Sorry to hear how your reactions are to your lovely till. For a small bird they can produce a lot of dust. giving him a good soaking every other day is the best way of keeping the dander down. the purifier will help control the dust that gets in to the air but will not help much if your bird lands on you or gets very close.

LemonZaz likes this.
  8. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

As well as changing his paper daily you may like to wipe down his cage daily too.

LemonZaz likes this.