Getting a new parrot

Dooley

Registered
Hiya can anyone help I’ve seen a Indian ring neck on preloved ,for 180 pounds is that to cheap???also the person has offered to get the bird to me rather than me go to them ?

dianaT

Staff member
I quite agree only buy a bird you can go and see. Also you risk being sold an untame aviary bird.
Have you thought to look at the RSPCA they often have parrots needing a good home.

Dooley

Registered
Yeah that’s what I thought as soon as they said they would deliver I thought naaa that’s not right ,I’ve been ringing rescue centres and rcpca thank you 😁

Dooley

Registered
I just didn’t think of getting in touch with a rescue centre ,I just had preloved and gumtree in my head ,but I’m so glad now I can give a bird a home

dianaT

Staff member
Is it a rescue or RSPCA coming to home check you. If a rescue take care as some are better than others and some want overall constant control plus a yearly sub from you and often spur of the moment check ups (not all are like that) . RSPCA do not do that.

Dooley

Registered
oh ok thanks at least I no I’ll keep that in mind ,thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

dianaT

Staff member
Never heard of them had a look at their website, not a registered charity but that doesn't mean much. Have you looked at their terms & conditions plus 'membership'. Due to forum rules I will have to delete their name as we have a policy of not naming parrot rescues.

Dooley

Registered
Never heard of them had a look at their website, not a registered charity but that doesn't mean much. Have you looked at their terms & conditions plus 'membership'. Due to forum rules I will have to delete their name as we have a policy of not naming parrot rescues.
Oh sugar sorry I didn’t think to not mention them ,I’ve looked into them it seems ok ,yeah I’ve read there terms

CaptainHowdy

The rspca had about 5 ringnecks when I looked earlier this week.

Be careful with rescues, as diana said make sure to really read the t&cs. Also be aware with some that you never own the bird, it remains the property of the rescue and they can come and take the bird back whenever they like. Some also stipulate that you must keep the bird clipped - please avoid any rescues with this rule! And also you can only use avian vets of their choice and some want you to get their permission before taking the bird to a vet even in what you would class as an emergency situation.

Not all are like that but some are so you really need to go in with your eyes open and don't let your heart rule your head.

Dooley

Registered
The rspca had about 5 ringnecks when I looked earlier this week.

Be careful with rescues, as diana said make sure to really read the t&cs. Also be aware with some that you never own the bird, it remains the property of the rescue and they can come and take the bird back whenever they like. Some also stipulate that you must keep the bird clipped - please avoid any rescues with this rule! And also you can only use avian vets of their choice and some want you to get their permission before taking the bird to a vet even in what you would class as an emergency situation.

Not all are like that but some are so you really need to go in with your eyes open and don't let your heart rule your head.
Ok thanks so much for that advice 😁 I’ll be careful

Top Bottom