1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gases Emited From Light Bulbs?

Discussion in 'Home and Environmental Hazards' started by Rio'sRich, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Rio'sRich

Rio'sRich Regular Member Registered

I was sitting at home last night chatting with my daughter who came for diner and I mentioned I could smell TCP, she commented she could too. The strangest thing was I don't have any TCP in the house and neither does my daughter, no more was thought about it. About 15-20 minutes later my daughter left and I was sitting watching the tv when one of the side lamp went off then about 30 seconds later it went pop. Investigating the bulb it had popped but not broken but was smoking a bit from where the glass tube entered the bulb base, the odour was akin to TCP.
    Concerned I opened all the doors and windows to thoroughly ventilate the area as this is where our Blue & Gold (Rio) resides, 20 minutes later closed back up as the area was then clear. Fortunately Rio was not affected, no doubt wondering what the late evening breeze was all about.

Has anyone heard of gases from light bulbs being a hazard for our birds, the one causing this was a low energy with the curly glass tubes.

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I currently use Led lighting but yes gasses contained in many bulbs are not good, I know the worry I had when Jackie My green winged went on the rampage chewing the bulbs in two of my wall lights (now removed) and one at a later date that she took from a cupboard she managed to open that she chewed on , (both times required veterinary visit to check her out but luckily she was unharmed but they was the normal filament type, tube lighting is more dangerous
    and in Switzerland they even teach there young children in schools to evacuate the room if one breaks. the smell of TCP is most likely from the burning of the bulb and not the gas inside. the early energy bulbs have been stopped (small tube type) from sale but many people still have them as they was given away free one time.

Rio'sRich likes this.
  3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Gave up using compact fluorescent bulbs a while back, because of the failure rate, they don’t last anywhere near as long as the packaging indicates. Never noticed a smell before, but yes have had several go pop. They do contain mercury and the gas is usually argon. Use LEDS now.

plumsmum and Rio'sRich like this.
  4. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

The gas in lightbulbs is an inert gas which ever type is inside it and none poisonous and also it doesn't have a any odour. The part of the light bulb that is poisonous is the mercury that is coated inside it hence always being told never burst light bulbs. Just make sure you clean up all bits of the bulb a good vacuum will sort it out as its a very small quantity inside it.
    The smell of TCP is however indicative of something else going on in your light like putting a bulb that is over the wattage for the electrical fitment inside it to it melting internally where you can't see it from overheating. Get your light fitment checked out by an electrician as the answer lays elsewhere lets not have a fire.
    @Rio'sRich

5. DizzyBlue

If you want to know what gasses are in normal light bulbs they are argon, helium, neon, nitrogen and krypton … yes superman will have to be warned!! Filament (the bit you see glowing) is made of tungsten.
    Errr anyways argon is also found inside double glazing units that is what is called a dehydrated air and provides the energy efficiency.
    Side line not all of these gasses are found in the air we breath just in smaller concentrations large dense compositions are what makes then "dangerous" the quantities inside a lightbulb dissipate massively when the bulb cracks but as said its the mercury in the bulb that is the thing that is of concern. and that is not in a gaseous status inside a bulb.
    So don't put a bulb back into that fitment until its checked out is basically the answer.
    From your description of base crack and small whisper of smoke being emitted sounds like its where the bulb clips into the base section where the electricity is supplies is the issue either electricity surge or over heating without the fuse being blown … could be fuse is too large for the fitment or any number of things....
    Being a low wattage bulb unless the fitment is a really small wattage fitment shouldn't have been an issue …. bringing my head back to electrical issue with the fitment…

6. DizzyBlue

Rio'sRich likes this.
  7. Rio'sRich

Rio'sRich Regular Member Registered

Thanks all for your input everyone. Worth a check me thinks DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue and TomsMum like this.