Galvanised Metal And Phoebe's Chewing

I read on here somewhere about the avi fabs or rosemead cages being galvanised metal?
Is there anything I need to know about that?

Phoebe has started this awful habit on an evening where shes chewing the cage bars and chipping paint off, it's not for long as I don't let her do it but if I'm out I don't know if she's doing it.
Are these cages safe for parrots to chew?

Galvanised metal need to be washed with vinegar to make it safe for parrots but it can be a cheaper option to stainless still

Is she chewing one corner or spot? could you hang a big toy or cargo net there maybe? galvernised wire is safe to a point but if the bird is really a persistant wire chewer I would go stainless just in case.

It's above her food bowls so can't really hang a toy there, I don't blame her she's in a rubbish cage
I'm waiting for the avi fab cage to be made/delivered

So do I need to clean it with vinegar? Are they not safe?

I think the vinigar thing is old hat from when there was a lot of cheap cold dipped wire about which used to lose it's coating, the moderen good quality hot dipped wire is not really a problem, thousands of biords are kept in it with no problems so I wouldn't worry personally as long as it's from a good source. My birds are all kept in aviaries built with it and we blood test regularly and have never had a metal poisoning case.

Back
Top Bottom