Fungi

dianaT

Staff member
Hubby came across this while mowing today. We have not seen a fungi that looks like a flower before - any ideas?
flowerfungi.jpg flowerfungi2.jpg

That's a fungi that has gone into spore mode....
think mushroom that has split and the sides of the split have curled back over so the lines are what are supposed to be underneath
Just at mums so will tag in later :) x

Does it have a pale tan colour to the top and a white underside? If it does then likely to be something like a Deer Shield fungi.... (Pluteus cervinus)
If it's pinkish in colouration then its going to be of the waxcap variety something like the Ballerina waxcap (Hygrocybe calyptriformis) .... more likely a meadow waxcap ofwhich there are lipping loads ..... just not sure how true the colours are in the photo's …

Fungi in your grass is actually a sign of good health believe it or not shows its high in natural nutrients
And of course … Wales has some of the very rare varieties of waxcaps (only in Wales!!) https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/our-work/conservation-projects/grassland/waxcap-grasslands-wales have a look at these stunning colours love the violet coral fungi

See you also have some of the lovely rarer small wild orchids too!

Beginning to think wales is the place to be!

@dianaT

Ballerina Waxcap

Fawny Coloured Deer Shield

Thank you for that, but no it's not like any of those and definitely no pink.
I just asked on a local wildlife site so will let you know if anyone responds, hubby was wanting to mow over it!

Someone here in Pembrokeshire wonders if it is this which is related to the lily family.
flowerfungimaybe.jpg

blue is not a common colour in the fungi family, I would love to know the results when you find out a little more about it,

Related to the lily family … learn something new everyday didn't realise any of the fungi were related to any of the flowers.
Heard of the lily fungus nothing to do with lily's … but that looks nothing like the one you show and is of the flammulina family which is huge!
There is a fungi called a lilac bonnet and another called lilac fibre cap … defo not them …..
There is one of the puff ball family that has petal shapes but its not that one as there is a puff ball in the middle of the fungi petals …. and its not one of those ….
Pondered through my fungi book last night and came up with …. nothing …. useless!!

Really want to know what it is now :)

Think I may have found it ….. Hygrocybe pratensis (Meadow waxcap) … and maybe not!!
Have a look at this link Diana scroll down until you find the above and then when you look below the main photo you can select what other forms it comes in. Seems to be a grassland growing fungi
https://www.ukeconet.org/waxcaps-identification-id4.html
downloaded the picture that looks most similar
3069060_orig.jpg
Looking through heaps and heaps of things about fungi seems only the Hygrocybe family (which seems to be flipping huge!) that split the top cap and curl deliberately.
Does this look like it? Or am I back to the drawing board?
@dianaT

Thank you @DizzyBlue @Michael Reynolds and everyone. Still not confirmed what it may be but the photo above is similar although the 'petals' are more narrow on the ones here and the centre a little different.

If its a new unknown Fungi i wonder if they will let your hubby name it? Just thinking of a name he may call it, ok how about "Blue Diana", common lets hear your ideas, Diana at the end, Just for Fun, you can ask the question to your Hubby and see if any one has come up with the same name.

Back
Top Bottom