1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From Clipped To Normal

Discussion in 'Feathers And Grooming' started by TheAmazon, Jan 18, 2018.

1. TheAmazon

TheAmazon Regular Member

Hello Everyone!
    My Sid (Blue-Fronted Amazon) was clipped since young age. He has never flied.
    This week-end, It will be 2 weeks that I have him and I am getting excited to see him open his wings. He still does not open them fully, like he is unsure. I have the feeling maybe he was not out of the cage as much as the previous owner is claiming, and he never really streched them.
    Anyway, I was wondering how will I know tat his feathers are fully grown back? Also, they look un-even...

Aline

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hi Aline
    Can you post us up a photo of Sid please. And with his wings open even better. If you look at the wings when spread out you will see whether they are growing or have grown back.

3. TheAmazon

TheAmazon Regular Member

Hello Diana!
    I'll try to take a picture...as said, he does not open them fully yet. He kind of put his shoulder up ...with the wings still half close...if you see what I mean? But I'll try to capture it on a picture.

4. dianaT

It rather sounds he will get there in his own time wing feathers permitting. Have you sprayed him with some warm water, they often like to spread their wings out when that is done. I spray all mine once a week in the winter but often twice in the summer, some folk do theirs more or less. Some like it and some don't!. It's best to do this morning/early afternoon so that the parrots can dry off well before bedtime.

5. TheAmazon

TheAmazon Regular Member

Yes, I spread him twice already, on sunday at lunch time...he does not seem to like it...he is "running away" from the spray...

6. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

I was going to refer you to our thread on the feather moulting sequence
    https://theparrotclub.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/feather-moulting-sequence.19741/

As this would indicate for you the pattern that is created during a natural moult, which may help you determine how many of your bird’s feathers have been clipped and an estimate of how long they may take to regrow.

At the moment the pictures and diagrams have become unavailable (this would have happened when we changed forum software) but ai have contacted DIzzyBlue and she has these, and will hopefully update the thread in the next few days.

Roz and dianaT like this.
  7. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Hope you can get a pic of his wings for us. Do you know when he was last clipped? Parrots generally moult (and grow new feathers) once a year although some moult twice a year. The older they get they don't moult all their feathers in one go and flight feathers might only be replaced every other year.

Here are a couple of pics of Ollie Orange-winged Amazon showing all his flight feathers. This is roughly how Sid's feathers will look when fully grown back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Try to spray him above and not directly at him. That will feel more like rain and by doing that with both of my birds it worked a treat.

9. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

a lot of birds that are not used to being spayed will go in retreat when they start getting spayed. then once they start to get soaked then they find it irresistible and stretch out there wings enjoying every bit of water hitting them. 032.JPG

TheAmazon likes this.
  10. TheAmazon

TheAmazon Regular Member

Thank you all for your responses!
    I will try to take a picture of his wings to show you. Yesterday, he flapped them for the first time, but I did not have my camera with me. He also started to stretch with one leg and one wing out....adorable.

Michael Reynolds and dianaT like this.
  11. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Hi Aline just to point out if Sid has never fledged then it will take some care when he has his full set of feathers. Probably a good idea if you can try and get him doing some short flight drills initially, learn to use his wings, build up his flight muscles safely. In prep one or two T perches (which can be made quite cheaply) will give you the equipment to be able to encourage him to do short flaps/jumps to actually flying between the two. Something to think about I hope? :)

12. TheAmazon

TheAmazon Regular Member

Hello Plumsmum,

Thank you. Yes I already planned all this. That is why i am watching him carefully because I don't want him to think he can do it while he actually can't fly. I have checked many discussion to make sure to know which training he needs. Based on his wings if i compare with the pictures posted here, his feathers are not fully grown back yet. So I believe I have time.

13. TheAmazon

TheAmazon Regular Member

Finally got pictures!

Attached Files:

14. TomsMum

Wow....those wings are looking good....I wouldn’t be surprised if he does take to the wing...there are not many gaps there.

15. dianaT

I agree looking very good indeed :thumbsup:

TomsMum likes this.
  16. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

Aaww, he is lovely and a BF, he looks like he is enjoying himself, the BF who lives with me does NOT like showers, only baths in the water bowl thank you.

17. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I have always been against wing clipping but I will say if a bird had to be clipped the people whom clipped him had done it correctly. too often I have seen more of a hack than a clip. your bird will gain its feathers back and even now will be able to gain some flight but I will point out if out side it will not take much wind for him to fly away. Leaving the two outer feathers will give support to new growth. and you should find that he will be back to full feather within the year. great photo. I fill happier now I have seen him

18. TheAmazon

TheAmazon Regular Member

Thank you all for your messages!
    Sid was so excited on Saturday as it was raining.
    My familly had an Amazon when I was a child back in South America (could not bring him back to Europe as it is a protected species, so we had to leave him :emoji_disappointed:). My mother always talks about how happy he was when it was raining and the funny danse he was doing...well, Sid also likes it!
    When he saw the rain he started making funny noises and opening his wings so I though he wanted to shower...he did enjoy the warm water spray!

I understand I will have to be careful now as when flapping his wings he actually creates "wind" (sorry for my english). I might try to go for it...how can I make sure that he does not jump for the top of his cage and crash down on the floor? This worries me...

19. TomsMum

I doubt that he would crash to the floor...more likely he will fly around...so look for hazards ....cover up mirrors, and draw curtains or blinds over windows, as birds think they can fly through these.....at least until he gets used to the room layout. move anything sharp or,precious from possible landing spots like the top of a cupboard. Hopefully he will just do a few loops ofmthe room and land back on his cage.
    Do you have a parrot stand or tree...somewhere he can go and land on away from the cage?

dianaT likes this.