1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friday 5th October

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nigalius, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Morning All...

Its a quiet morning here with light wind and a cool temp of 12.7c when I came in here. The forecast is saying there could be a lot of sun today although it wont be too hot outside but as I am more or less south facing it can get pretty warm in here even if it is cold outside if the sun is shining.

The birds are fine and I have been forgiven for running out of pine nuts. I had some yesterday in my Tesco delivery. I even let them have 4 each earlier. Sometime in the near future I want to try and target train Nacho. I think it will be a lost cause for Roxy but with Nacho it will be worth trying. I will cut up 2 or 3 pine nuts in half and use them as the treat. Its worth a try.

I got my Tesco delivery yesterday and now have enough to feed an army. One thing I got was a 400g loaf from the bakery section. It contained Pistachio, Raisins and Cranberry. I can safely say it was probably the best bread I have ever tasted. Even better than my home made stuff that I sometimes make. It would have been sacrilege to have put anything other than butter on it. One problem though..... I ate the lot, it was so yummy. I have just been thinking (not easy before my third coffee) if the weather is going to be sunny why not make use of it. I will go round the place soon and gather up a few things for a wash.

Have a Great Friday Everyone

Cheers

Nigel

dianaT likes this.
  2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

A bit late but good morning everyone.

3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Morning folks :)

4. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

Good evening everyone

Just read on facebook, someone with a poorly caique, cant balance on perch and stuff, taken it to the vet and they think that because they've changed the food and that caique hasnt been eating the new stuff, so is practically starving itself :emoji_astonished: they have two caiques so said they cant be sure if that one is eating the new food.... As if, I always check mine have eaten and drank everyday, so now they've got formula for it...

I always find the forum quiet on fridays...

5. dianaT

Good evening Heather, poor Caique, you would have thought they would have noticed it has not been eating. Unfortunately many people still think 'it will eat if it's hungry' Errr no they don't as has been proved.

Been a busy day here today, daughter came over for lunch, then this afternoon I bought a very nice folding bed to replace the spare one in the smallest bedroom which has bunk beds in, so have offered the original bed & mattress on local FB page, talk about time wasters so far. I think tomorrow it can be offered on Freecycle.

6. Heather2131

You're always selling/giving away stuff Diana, you do get sick of time wasters, I also dont really like strangers coming to the house to buy stuff.

Yh I felt really bad for that poor caique, poor thing starving, how could you not see it not eating, mine come running for their food and start tucking in first thing

7. dianaT

Well Heather usually Alan is here when folk collect stuff, so far over the year all has been ok although one chap last weekend seemed creepy he had a record player from us (we had 2 and did not need 2) but hubby remembered him he'd been here years ago for an old lawn mower. Have 3 people after the single mattress and one is coming after midday tomorrow, so far no one asked for the divan base (that takes a different size mattress - it's along story!).

I hope that little caique will recover, are you following its post.

8. Heather2131

Im not sure, I wonder if she'll post an update

9. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

A late post here. We had some very busy workmen here all afternoon installing mosquito screens on all the windows, which were urgently needed as the things have been driving us crazy over the last few weeks. There seems to be a plague of them since the wet season started, and the gringo (me) appears to be especially tasty to them. I was thinking of getting some screens and fitting them myself while I still had enough remaining blood to stay on my feet, but the professionals gave a pretty good quote (especially when we said we could pay in cash) and could do the job within a few days, so we decided to leave it to them! Now we can actually get fresh air in here at night rather than suffocating in the heat, and the flying hordes (including the legions of ants and termites who have been committing mass suicide in here lately) can't get in to bother us.

Baby L seems better now, and has gone back to just being a busy little monster who is constantly demanding attention and getting into everything (i.e. her usual self).

Looks like we won't be getting a dusky pionus any time soon. We hoped the breeder would have some babies this year, and had unofficially reserved his next offspring of the species, but he told us that the male of one pair (which bred last year) was recently eaten by a large owl. The female of his other pair suffered egg-binding and probably won't try breeding again for several years, and we can't find anyone else here who is breeding this species at present, so it seems we will have to look at something else. We've had a nice big cage sitting in the living room for the last few weeks too, courtesy of the in-laws who got it for their budgies then realized it wasn't suitable. It would be nice to find an occupant for it soon!

The burrowing owls in the garden seem to have finished digging their nest, and we're awaiting further developments. I'm a bit worried about them being around after hearing about the breeders' pionus being taken like that, though, as we will probably have some aviary birds or poultry outside before long and would prefer for them not to become owl food, no matter how cute the owls are.

Michael Reynolds and dianaT like this.
  10. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I fill sorry for that poor caique I wish people would weigh there birds more regular especially when changing diet or new members to a home.

11. Setanta

Setanta Regular Member

A caique that wont eat is obviously sick. It cannot be jumping round the house destroying everything without energy.
    First should be vet check, then an overwhelming abundance of food types to tempt it,
    Id get some baby bird handfeeding food and serve it at human body temperature
    Takes them back to their childhood. They cant resist
    Or peanut butter...
    IMG_20181008_120002.jpg

TomsMum and dianaT like this.
  12. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

No spoon required!

Setanta and dianaT like this.