Friday 3rd July

Scott199

Hi @dianaT and All,

Work has gone silly these last few days, good or bad shows things are starting to go back somewhere near normal, Although im not exactly sure we need "back to normal" at this point. Seems most people i speak to have forgotten we still have this "little virus" around us all.

i'm almost condemned to the kitchen now with the odd visit to calm Bert down, grey and just dismal here today.

Michael Reynolds

Good afternoon all, its been a lovely but windy day so far, All the flock are fine and wanting my attention as I was out this morning. I have a few jobs to do and play catch up on the cleaning side. I will have to sort the garden out and get a few cages jet washed over the weekend, I hope you all stay safe and remember to keep your distance and stay safe

Seku

Registered
Hello!

My name is Jesse - I'm new here... I am in a bit of a tight spot at the moment and I would be really grateful for some wisdom from you guys...

About two years ago I took on my grandmother's Senegal, Seku, when she died. He is around 20 and she had him from pretty small, I think. He spent all of that time in a cage, in a farmhouse kitchen with a north facing window, next to a back door that slammed a lot. It wasn't a great life for him, to say the least, and my kids and I were pretty happy to get him out of there.

We've lived in two properties since, and in that time he has ventured out of his cage, flown about a little, and will take peanuts when offered. Really good progress, all things considered.

We had a cat too, and they co-habited reasonably well. But just before lockdown our cat was run over. Since then, Seku has been living his best life - out of the cage more often than not.... He spends a lot of time on a mirror. He will allow you to be pretty close to him comfortably. My 9 year-old is particularly fond of him and invests quite a lot of time with him. My kids are with me 3 nights a week. I understand that this inconsistency might be a bit problematic for him. Generally I work from home, but I do generally leave him overnight one or two nights per week.

I know Senegals are noise, but the problem is that he is REALLY NOISY!! And he seems to be even more so since the cat has gone. His cage is in the living room / dining room / where I work from. (He's relegated me to the landing to have meetings from!) But the volume is becoming increasingly less tolerable. In recent weeks when all our stress levels have been tested, to say the least, the screeching has been unbearable at times.

Can anyone help please?! I am a real novice at this and don't really understand his vocalising: often it seems to be because he wants to come out of the cage. But it will cary on when he's out. Is he just excited? That's what it seems like. Any advice on how he wants us to respond to this would be really really appreciated!

Thank you so much
IMG_2192.JPGIMG_2192.JPG
Jesse

JessCheekyMia

Hello!

My name is Jesse - I'm new here... I am in a bit of a tight spot at the moment and I would be really grateful for some wisdom from you guys...

About two years ago I took on my grandmother's Senegal, Seku, when she died. He is around 20 and she had him from pretty small, I think. He spent all of that time in a cage, in a farmhouse kitchen with a north facing window, next to a back door that slammed a lot. It wasn't a great life for him, to say the least, and my kids and I were pretty happy to get him out of there.

We've lived in two properties since, and in that time he has ventured out of his cage, flown about a little, and will take peanuts when offered. Really good progress, all things considered.

We had a cat too, and they co-habited reasonably well. But just before lockdown our cat was run over. Since then, Seku has been living his best life - out of the cage more often than not.... He spends a lot of time on a mirror. He will allow you to be pretty close to him comfortably. My 9 year-old is particularly fond of him and invests quite a lot of time with him. My kids are with me 3 nights a week. I understand that this inconsistency might be a bit problematic for him. Generally I work from home, but I do generally leave him overnight one or two nights per week.

I know Senegals are noise, but the problem is that he is REALLY NOISY!! And he seems to be even more so since the cat has gone. His cage is in the living room / dining room / where I work from. (He's relegated me to the landing to have meetings from!) But the volume is becoming increasingly less tolerable. In recent weeks when all our stress levels have been tested, to say the least, the screeching has been unbearable at times.

Can anyone help please?! I am a real novice at this and don't really understand his vocalising: often it seems to be because he wants to come out of the cage. But it will cary on when he's out. Is he just excited? That's what it seems like. Any advice on how he wants us to respond to this would be really really appreciated!

Thank you so much
View attachment 30196View attachment 30196
Jesse
Hi and welcome, I am so sorry to hear your grandmother passed away. It is so lovely you took Seku on. I am also sorry to hear your cat passed away too.
Seku might be calling for your cat especially if your cat use to be around Seku. They like their flock together and are not too keen on changes and members missing.
I am going to tag some people that have sennies and who are experienced.
@dianaT @Roz @Michael Reynolds @DizzyBlue

Keep strong

Michael Reynolds

Hello Jesse and welcome to this site, Now being a proud owner of three Senegal parrots and helping a few more keepers that have them, It dose sound like yours has landed in good hands. These do have a high pitched call hat they can use, yes it may be contact calling or calling for attention. The problem is you may be Accidently reinforcing the calling behaviour, by any reaction you may give to your birds calling. your bird may be missing some of the company it had like your mother or the cat, but Senegal's thrive on one to one attention and will try to gain some attention in what ever why it will get a response.

it may take a little while to change the call to something more acceptable and this can be done by not reacting to a call you do not like but going to him quickly when he gives a more acceptable call. We have a few members with the Senegal parrots that will call into the site at times, your bird looks so sweet

Michael Reynolds

I am sorry to hear of your mother and more recently your cats passing these are difficult times for us all, with the lock down and other restrictions. So pleased you was able to take on Seku.

Seku

Registered
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome, kind words and of course your wisdom! It hadn't occurred to me that he might be missing the cat. The cat kept a respectful distance most of the time, and I think 'got' that Seku was part of the tribe, but I always assumed that Seku recognised the cat as a potential predator.

I will certainly try ignoring the harsher calls and rewarding positive behaviour promptly. He loves peanuts and apples. Won't touch much else!

I was also wondering whether the additional attention he's been getting from my son since the cat died has also led to some confusion about who his main buddy is?

Anyway - thank you all again. It's been a challenging day!

Jesse

Michael Reynolds

These birds are highly intelligent and like us they have feelings, the best way of looking after these birds is to involve every one, you do not want your bird to choose a special person to the extent that it may try to drive others away. on this site some owners call them Draculas with wings or Cling-on's as many will be triggered to suddenly change moods but soon become so sweet again just after. not all are like that but many are,

dianaT

Staff member
:welcome:from me too. I also have Senegals and they do like to be part of the family and are such dear little birds they often like to be involved what's going on. I am sorry for the loss of your grandmother and cat, our birds grieve when they lose family members.
That is good to hear you have given him a good loving caring home.

Seku

Registered
Hello! Yes, he certainly likes to be involved. If I start talking on the phone / video call, he pipes up immediately. But usually if I try to talk to him he's unresponsive. (Actually, 'bemused' would be more accurate!) I want him to feel wanted and heard, but just a little more peacefully!!

Roz

That's a wonderful picture of Seku!! :pancarta:

I agree with Michael in that you maybe inadvertently reinforcing the screaming/loud behaviour, and likely with attention if he likes to be involved. Also louder background noise results in louder vocalizations. For example, you talking on the phone, or the TV blaring, or the sound of running water, etc. will provide noise that some birds love to compete with.

What other vocalizations does he do? Can he talk/whistle? Try cu-ing another vocalization and highly reinforce it BEFORE the unwanted vocalizations happen. If he is getting attention for the unwanted sounds, then provide the same reinforcer (attention), and more!, for the preferred sounds.

Kobe, my Pionus, can make a horrible grating squawking noise as I remove the sheets off the other bird cages in the morning - it's an horrific impersonation of the noise of the sheets coming off at a hundred times the volume! Kobe can say "oh boy" so before the horrible noise even starts, I cue the "oh boy" with an "OHHHHH?" and he'll finish with, "BOY!" We keep shouting that back and forth which is funny/bearable rather than me being driven insane (and deaf) by his HORRENDOUS squawking. The "Oh Boy" game is more reinforcing for him than squawking.

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Hello and welcome,
Sorry to hear about your grandmother and more recently your cat dying, I'm sure that Seku misses them both and would have thought of the cat as part of the family.
Dora is a Senegal and is free most of her time - she sees our 3 chickens as part of her flock . Luckily she will happily be with either myself or my husband, and I would recommend encouraging everyone to interact with him, although he may choose to go to your son as his special friend.

With regard to Seku screeching ..... I think the advice already given is wise.
He probably does want out of his cage and once out is trying to keep your attention, so you need to reinforce the quieter more acceptable sounds.
If you are working from home and need to use the phone that is difficult as they seem jealous of your attention that the phone is getting and want to join in, (vocally or to eat the phone), and I havent yet found a way of overcoming this apart from retreating to another place.

The only time Dora really used to have a bad screech habit was when we first had her - we used to uncover her cage in the morning and say she could come out after she had done her morning poo - she would screech and screech and screech. What SHE wanted to was to go to another perch to do it and once we realised that, and changed the routine she was happy and stopped the noise, then we were happier too! Hopefully once you find the trigger that sets him off you will be able to modify things to mould his reactions.
Good luck and please keep us posted on how you get on.

Also keep trying other foods as treats - things that are ignored for years can suddenly be accepted. Dora loves little pieces of the seeded organic crispbread thats sold in Aldi or Lidl - one pack last for ages!

Seku

Registered
That's a wonderful picture of Seku!! :pancarta:

I agree with Michael in that you maybe inadvertently reinforcing the screaming/loud behaviour, and likely with attention if he likes to be involved. Also louder background noise results in louder vocalizations. For example, you talking on the phone, or the TV blaring, or the sound of running water, etc. will provide noise that some birds love to compete with.

What other vocalizations does he do? Can he talk/whistle? Try cu-ing another vocalization and highly reinforce it BEFORE the unwanted vocalizations happen. If he is getting attention for the unwanted sounds, then provide the same reinforcer (attention), and more!, for the preferred sounds.

Kobe, my Pionus, can make a horrible grating squawking noise as I remove the sheets off the other bird cages in the morning - it's an horrific impersonation of the noise of the sheets coming off at a hundred times the volume! Kobe can say "oh boy" so before the horrible noise even starts, I cue the "oh boy" with an "OHHHHH?" and he'll finish with, "BOY!" We keep shouting that back and forth which is funny/bearable rather than me being driven insane (and deaf) by his HORRENDOUS squawking. The "Oh Boy" game is more reinforcing for him than squawking.
Thank you Roz and Wendy for your thoughts. I have been ignoring the harsher sounds and rewarding / being attentive to him in quieter moments and the calmer sounds. He does have a pretty decent range I think, although I am not aware fo any sounds he is directly trying to repeat.

With my work calls, I have to retreat upstairs all the time now. That's fine though. He can still hear me up there and will squawk - pretty sure he's saying "where have you gone and who is more important than me?!". Our (small) house is pretty noisy at times; with two kids under 10, plus music and television sometimes: it's obvious to me if he's distressed (e.g. kids playing noisily near the cage, and he'll flap) but it is reassuring to hear that when it is noisy, his vocalising is in competition / chorus with the other noise, rather than because he's upset.

Thank you again - I will let know how things go... Enjoy the rest of your weekends!

xJ

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Thank you Roz and Wendy for your thoughts. I have been ignoring the harsher sounds and rewarding / being attentive to him in quieter moments and the calmer sounds. He does have a pretty decent range I think, although I am not aware fo any sounds he is directly trying to repeat.

With my work calls, I have to retreat upstairs all the time now. That's fine though. He can still hear me up there and will squawk - pretty sure he's saying "where have you gone and who is more important than me?!". Our (small) house is pretty noisy at times; with two kids under 10, plus music and television sometimes: it's obvious to me if he's distressed (e.g. kids playing noisily near the cage, and he'll flap) but it is reassuring to hear that when it is noisy, his vocalising is in competition / chorus with the other noise, rather than because he's upset.

Thank you again - I will let know how things go... Enjoy the rest of your weekends!

xJ
PS Dora and i do also somtimes communicate in whispers....well, l whisper and she will quietly mutter or tut at me.

Top Bottom