1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friday 29th March

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nigalius, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Morning All...

Its a cool morning here but there should be broken sun for most of the day with temps up to 11c. There will be moderate westerly winds then I might turn round, lol. Again, there should not be any rain but we'll see about that. Hopefully the sun will not be too intense to make the heat in here unbearable.

The birds are fine and again, Roxy is on his new pyramid swing and for the moment he is asleep, wonder how long that will last. Nacho had a good fly around yesterday morning and again when I got in in the arvo and I think i'll have to look at his nails. They are getting bloody sharp now and can hurt when he lands on my head. I wont clip them ever but will use a dremel and be very careful. Its too early for the wild ones yet but they will be here when it gets light.

I went to the doctor for my appointment yesterday and am told that I can stop taking one of the diabetic medications, Gliclazide. I am well happy about that an in the evening only take 2 meds now with 6 in the morning. It used to be 5 in evening and 10 in morning. If things keep on going as well as they are at the moment I am told that I could be off another two in the near future, I have a Tesco delivery coming today between 08.00 and mid day. Its stuff like yoghurts and Actimel and a few Cottage Pies if I feel lazy. Then I will take it easy and let the birds out when Tesco have gone.

Have a Great Friday Everyone and get well to all the poorly members.

Cheers

Nigel

Shirley and DizzyBlue like this.
  2. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Morning Nigel and all who follow
    That's excellent news about the meds your doing great :) keep up the healthy eating mate
    After yesterdays barmy warm weather (we got a high of 15!) it cool this morning probably because of a clear sky last night Bit misty this morning and pondering what we're going to get today. Clocks change this weekend and can honestly say I have missed the light nights looking forward to being up later not so sure what the flock will think though. Seriously need to get some black out curtains for the bird room as Alfie has a flipping meltdown if he doesn't get to go to bed by 7 screams the place down and then sits there chuntering if the others don't go straight to bed as well … he's a grumpy old sock at times lol
    Sister and her hubby are driving to visit this lunchtime as left it too late to book a mothering sunday meal out with mum so we're doing it today instead. Got to pop over to the double glazing people this morning and go and pop a deposit down and get the ball rolling for the new windows. Double glazing here is well over 20 plus years old from what I can figure its at least 25 and blown panes and general heat loss from a few drafts and the fact that the panes have metal spacer bars in them means heat loss is a pain.
    Henni has been up for ages and is running around on the living room floor with a kiddies rattle at the moment throwing it around and talking to it lol. By 9am she'll need a sleep at this rate!
    Huge hugs to all who needs one today, stay safe peeps and have a good one xx

Shirley likes this.
  3. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Morning dizzy and Nigel, good about your meds going down Nigel. It's slightly misty here but may burn off later. I bet washed to pool, decking and patio yesterday and got a stiff back today so feeling a bit cranky. Wifey had got quail eggs in the incubator, gosh more birds in the house.

TomsMum likes this.
  4. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Morning all...... can’t get goingnthis ,onring..... had a late night as we went to see Gary Delaney..... then the power went off this morning, and then woke me up coming back on....6:45.... gee thanks was snoozing nicely.

5. Shirley

Shirley Regular Member

Evening everyone Nigel thats brilliant news keep up the good work . Jude why did the power go off hun you got bad weather down there lol , Tash how did your MOT go yeasterday hun do hope it passed . Well Tom back to work Tuesday not Wednesday lol i seem to loose day's some how rofl . Scooby got his shower today ohhh boy he loved it dancing away to music and singing haha will have to video him one day he's sooo funny . To all the poorly ones and feathered friends get better soon .

6. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

No the power people are doing a lot of work locally and at the main substation, somthey turn up to start work at around 6:45 am and blip the power to reroute around what they need to work on, I think they think no one will notice, but with phones and iPads plugged in the beep when the power comes on, and some of the Hive lights are programmed so they come on when the power is restored.

7. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Beautiful weather again today, been out all afternoon in it, then took the dogs out.
    Given the birds a small orange each to demolish, Phoebe is well into it.

New plastic compartment things have arrived, I bought two for the birds and two for me for my packlunch at work. So it has 3 compartments, fresh food will go in big one, water in middle and seed in the small one, much easier, now I can lift those out, wash them, fill them up and put them back instead of carrying 6 bowls downstairs everyday haha why didnt I think of it sooner!
    Apparently my new food dehydrator has been delivered too... Yet no sign of it. One parcel in the recycling bin, another in the shed but no dehydrator...

8. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Oh and a couple of the chicks at work seem to have curled in toes, will this correct itself or is that it then?

9. DizzyBlue

Afternoon all
    Well lunch with the family done and dusted was a really lovely meal at a local pub that has come under new management and its really top class food more chefs in the restaurant area than common sense but it does mean all the food arrives at the same time its all freshly cooked and too boot it's not really pricy! Had a lovely lasagne with salad followed by a choice of "old school" puddings which was great. When I say old school I mean like when I was at school 40 years ago :) had sticky toffee pudd with ice cream. There was pink sponge and custard, break and butter pud, brownie crunch with green custard was just like the old school dinners :p Could only have been better if they had butterscotch flan but they didn't :(
    Henni is rampaging around the living room with size 9 steel toe capped boots on at the moment she's in a right monster mood :risas3:
    @Yellowchickenparrot good luck with the quail … I once kept them years ago …. errrr never again!
    On the car front have been out for two really early hours throw it down the motorway sessions by nipping down the M62 for an early morning coffee near Sheffield, need to have less fuel in the tank to do the redex it so perhaps this weekend will do that in the early hours.
    This morning had to keep all windows closed as there was a fire a couple of miles away up the road and wind was in this direction, flipping stink it was
    https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/live-fire-engines-still-large-2698202

10. DizzyBlue

@Heather2131 you need Sunnyring for this one @sunnyring
    Last time I had chickens years and years ago we used to sort it with flat solid surface to walk on with a scattering of shavings on it and used to splint the toes using a lolly pop stick (one of those cardboard ones not flat wood ones and first aid tape to hold the toes out straight but can only be done in you chicks. Seem to remember being told it was if it was a big chick that didn't get itself in the right position inside the egg … how true that is have no idea and things do change over the years and am sure Jenny will know more than me

11. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

They're on a flat surface with newspaper and a bit of wood shavings scattered on

12. DizzyBlue

Who's looking after them over the weekend? Might be worth blipping a couple of pictures on forum so we can see if its curled toe as in they go under from being cramped in the shell or something like splayed which is a calcium thing but also is corrected in same way but by making sure that the food they get has extra vits and minerals in.
    But as said its been a lot of years since I had chickens so likely things have changed.
    OOOooo thinking about it Andy has chickens as well @Yellowchickenparrot

13. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

I should have got a photo, the manager has taken them home for the weekend

DizzyBlue likes this.
  14. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Looks a bit like that on two chicks 1_2.jpg

15. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Gosh that looks like a defect? Ours didn't look like that, we kept ours in a cage with a plastic bottom with loads of sawdust.

DizzyBlue likes this.
  16. DizzyBlue

Definitely a Jenny question!
    Those feet need sorting any toes curled underneath will get damaged all the time and get infections in them
    Think this is called curled toe syndrome and is due to incorrect humidity and brooding temperature fluctuations ….. but I only think that am not positive as my chicken knowledge is waaaaaay old! However it does need sorting sooner rather than later

17. DizzyBlue

Cheers Yellowchickenparrot :)
    Can't for the life of me think who else on here keeps chickens.... not sure @MJGB - MikeJenGaryBeckyBoo do anything is worth a try!
    Have pm messaged SunnyRing asking if she gets two minutes would she have a look and see what she thinks as she is well into chickens and breeding and knows heaps about them

Heather2131 likes this.
  18. I'm so sorry! We've only ever had pullets and ex-bats, so I've not seen this before. I really wish I could help.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

DizzyBlue likes this.
  19. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

@Nigalius - Good news about your medication! :thumbsup: The less medication you have to take, the better you will feel, in all probability.

We're inundated with shinies here today. I was just going to collect a mysterious package for the wife from the postman when a motorbike guy zoomed up from the fast delivery couriers. It turned out to be the batch of fancy shinies (which had been sent by fast delivery even though we hadn't asked for this). They were in a very bland brown paper envelope, inside another bland brown paper envelope, the only indication of their contents being a hurridly handwritten "Rocks From Site" on the inside package. If I hadn't known better I would have expected some kind of geological sample. It occurred to me that making shinies look like something entirely uninteresting is probably quite a good way of stopping any light-fingered people from taking an interest en route, so they probably know what they are doing here. These turned out to be really nice anyway (if a bit surplus to current requirements). I'll put a few pictures in the members' forum when I get the chance, assuming there are still a few interested people on here!

The other package turned out to contain lots of fancy rock necklace beads which Mrs A thinks she doesn't have enough of (I would beg to differ) Our little girl was highly delighted by these, and it wasn't long before she was charging around the house wearing most of them at once, and coming to Daddy to show him how pretty they were (and to tell me that she knew Malachite was Green, and Turquoise was Blue). I was a bit surprised that the wife let her wear them. "I didn't," she told me, "but it's not like she could really be stopped, either..."

TomsMum and DizzyBlue like this.
  20. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

I said to the manager it could have been because the children turned the incubator off, it's dropped 10 degrees but wasn't off for long so didn't think it would be that big of a deal

I dont know what to do, is it too late to sort them on Tuesday? They hatched Wednesday and Thursday