Friday 22nd May

Michael Reynolds

Good Morning all, was up very early as normal, prepared veg for all the flock, and left some in the kitchen for the members that will not look at it if its in there bowl. I plan to cut the grass as it has grown like mad I also bought new net curtains that I will have to fit . Frank and Doris spent most of the morning with me , I can still hear there chirps in my ear Ha Ha. will need to go out later to get a plug with a two pin adaptor for a new electric shaver I bought yesterday. the wether was very windy during the night and it was a dull start but now the sky has cleared and it looks like another nice day, have a good day every one xx

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning Michael and everyone, we had rain overnight and strong winds, the wind is blowing hard now but no more rain, the ground is still very dry. We are pondering over whether to grown runner beans in the veggie plot this year but it all needs digging over first - last year young grandsons were staying so they were happy to do it! We have rhubarb and blackcurrants in there but that's all these days. it seems such a waste of space not to grow things.
Enjoy the day everyone and do keep safe. We are still in lock down here in Wales the rules are different to England.

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Hello folks, I agree @dianaT it does seem odd not to be growing veg here but I haven't got the knack with the soil or temperature here and anything I have tried to sow has been washed away, scorched to nothing or eaten by slugs. I used to grow a lot of both fruit and veg and freeze a lot, but having bought a kg of frozen spinach for very little I realise that it was a labour of love!
No messy raspberry beak pics I'm afraid to say... I missed the occasion.
Have seen two lovely blue/green lizards 🦎🦎today, hopefully they are a breeding pair and the chickens WON'T see them (or that they can escape and climb through the undergrowth quickly).

Oli Fry

Registered
Some excitement here today - I've been trying to entice the local feral ringnecks to my various bird feeders for ages, and this morning I had my first little green garden guest. He didn't stay long but hopefully more will follow....there are hundreds here in Carshalton.

AMD

Good morning Michael and everyone, we had rain overnight and strong winds, the wind is blowing hard now but no more rain, the ground is still very dry. We are pondering over whether to grown runner beans in the veggie plot this year but it all needs digging over first - last year young grandsons were staying so they were happy to do it! We have rhubarb and blackcurrants in there but that's all these days. it seems such a waste of space not to grow things.
Enjoy the day everyone and do keep safe. We are still in lock down here in Wales the rules are different to England.
Same for us in scotland

Terry556

Registered
Good evening all, can’t get home this weekend have to work, nice weather in London today, was working in Kings Cross on a new sports complex for the residents will finish early next week and head home, Southern fried chicken is in the oven for dinner tonight

Attachments

Ararajuba

Evening people, don't think I've posted here for a week or more, so what's new...?

My larger girl has been a menace. A few days ago she messed with Mummy's hefty lump of Amazonite (a rather jade-like semiprecious stone) which sits in the office as a decoration/paperweight, and dropped it on her toe. No serious damage done (though it damaged her nail, bled for a while, and made her run around with a hobble for a day or two), but she keeps taking the band-aids off and pestering for new ones (and is distraught if we tell her it doesn't need one any more), so most of our emergency supply of these is now used up. She followed up on this by sticking her feet sideways through the gap between the arm-rest and seat of the office chair (about half an hour after I had sternly told her not to do that), which of course caused the chair to tip over with her in it. I came to inspect the evidence when I heard the crash followed by a loud waa, having a good idea of what I would find, and sure enough found her looking very miserable, trapped in a very peculiar kneeling position on the floor with the chair pinning her down (so she couldn't very well deny what she had been doing, nor escape till an adult came to save her). She must have landed with all her weight on both knees with the chair on top of her, on our nice hard tiled floor. It looked like it could have been nasty, but again, no serious damage and she is walking normally, just a couple of big bruises. Little pests are tough! After these antics, among others, I threatened to ban her from going in the office altogether, which made her very sad. She has promised to be good now, but we will see!

I hung the budgies' cage up outside yesterday for some fresh air and sun, and was a bit late getting them in, so the sun had set and we were in the 20 or so minutes between sunset and complete dark that we get here. They twittered excitedly when they saw me, and I was just about to pick up the cage when... an owl suddenly swooped across the garden and landed right on top of it. It paid not the slightest attention to me (I was all of six feet away at the time), and instead peered curiously inside, as though trying to decide whether these little colourful things would make a tasty morsel. Of course budgies were absolutely terrifed and had a fluttery panic attack, which just made the owl even more interested. After I had recovered from the surprise of seeing it and realized it wasn't planning to go anywhere without encouragement, I shooed it off, and it departed with great reluctance and ruffling of feathers. I think this is the same owl that used to argue and bob his head at me when I told him to get off the wife's car when she used to park it near their old nest - haven't seen him for a while but he still has his old attitude! Poor little birdies were very sulky the rest of the evening till I put them to bed (it took Wayne half an hour to move a feather from where he was cowering on the floor) and have been quieter than usual today, though they're gradually livening up. They probably think it was all my fault, because I happened to turn up at the same time as the owl. Just as well I wasn't five minutes later!

The wife never seems to play her ukulele any more, so I decided to have a go the other night when I saw it sitting sadly on the shelf, and see whether I could get anywhere. I've learned around a dozen chords so far and have very sore throbbing fingertips as a result, so I might have to give it a rest till they recover!

dianaT

Staff member
My goodness @Ararajuba if definitely all happens over at yours doesn't it. Never a dull moment, plus you have you own way of putting it all into words which to be honest often makes me smile. Poor girlys knees though.

Top Bottom