Friday 20th November 2020

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Morning peeps
Yeah I know it's a bit early but what the heck let's live on the wild side!
Bored need some new books to read but already on with today's chores so ahead of the game.
Stepdad is off back to quacks today as the shingles still hasn't left his eye went round yesterday and it looked like a massive blister burn under his eye so thinking the rear duct area is still either badly affected or blocked and infected.
Currently sat with what can only be described as plastic bag booties on my feet! My sister sent me a product to test. Yup I have turned guinea pig lol. DermaV10 Foot Pack in honey and almond. Pongs a bit got to keep on for 20 minutes apparently. Since being little both my sister and I always spent the majority of our time barefoot, I still do it the vast majority of the time now. Neighbours are mortified as I walk on gravel without any pain.... Also not bothered about going outside in snow or rain barefoot. It's not something I particularly think about sometimes really struggle being comfy in shoes. Anyway about two weeks ago got a small pebble embedded in heel and had to dig it out no pain just annoying. Time to soften soles of feet and hence sitting here in plastic bag booties. Not sure if it's a good or bad idea... Am not one for faffing or messing don't even own makeup so for me this is a weird one! Hey ho now you know what weirdness I am getting up to when bored!
onwards and upwards stay safe peeps

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Right so experiment over and the difference is..... Beggar all! Definitely not one to bother with...plus if you do try it be very careful if you decide to walk back to the bathroom to remove as they are as slippery as sin!

Ararajuba

You certainly do like getting up early over there! Just past midnight here, and I'm not in bed yet. Not quite sure what exactly you are trying to achieve with those foot thingies, @DizzyBlue.

Personally I prefer my feet soles (or should that be foot soles?) to be nice and hard so that they don't get blisters too easily, especially when wife gets things for me like the recent pair of replacement flip-flops (a necessary item of footwear here, as it is often too hot to wear shoes all day), which she assured me were very hard-wearing, and wouldn't disintegrate within a few months like the last few pairs I had. I should think so - they appear to be made out of recycled tyre treads! They imprinted a criss-cross pattern on the bottom of my rather sore feet for the first week or so till I got used to them (might be still there, for all I know, I don't inspect my soles that often).

Still in shock here that our one and a half year old toddler appears to understand animal taxonomy. Since she seemed proud of her ability to name things, we asked her what a toy plastic turtle was (her sister was playing with it at the time). "Reptile", she informed us confidently, then repeated it a few more times while trying to grab the turtle, just to show us we hadn't misheard. :worship2:

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Didn't get up early I am not sleeping so haven't been to bed.
As for the foot thingy well sister sent it and was bored so looking for something to do achieved nothing lol except getting rid of some spare time.
Your little one sounds smart and it's a lovely change over here not surprised kids get confused hear parents saying oooo look at the woof woof.... No it's a dog! More like kids are being taught two languages :watchout:

Ararajuba

Well @DizzyBlue, our little one does like to call dogs "Aw-Aw", the equivalent of "Woof-Woof" - as her sister did at that age. This is not too surprising, though, when she spends more time talking to her mother than me, and the standard Brazilian Portuguese word for dog is "Cachorro", which must be much more difficult for a tiny tot to pronounce!

I don't believe in using baby talk with children, in general, and certainly avoid it with ours, as does the wife most of the time. Ours are already learning two languages (big girl seems to want to learn Russian too from watching so many Russian folk tale cartoons), so there seems very little point in adding a third which is not suitable for expressing very much, and which they will only have to unlearn when they get older in order to communicate properly with people!

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Don't get me wrong @Tonifrax not looking for a product to soften soles of feet only tried the stuff out as was bored and sister sent me it. I like being barefoot tend to trip up in shoes and socks lol. When I was in my 20s (many years ago) I loved stilettos and regularly had break-neck high shoes lol but when wasn't going out I would spend my time barefoot :) there's nowt like wriggling your tootsies in grass or sand or feeling the heat from paving slabs on hot sunny days or dibbling them in water :)

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning folks

How is everyone today?

A wet morning here but I see according to the forecast some places have had frost.

The thought of going almost everywhere bare foot makes me squirm @DizzyBlue I would be bound to tread on something sharp.

I agree in not using 'baby talk' to little ones.....why do it I just don't understand why.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Well nagging stepdad has worked he went to the quacks today... and doc was shocked by state of the eye so he has to have more meds, pain killer and anti inflammatory cream. Plus he has to return regardless of how he feels next Friday.
Feet was a weird subject to start the day on lol I don't feel when something is sharp when I stand on it except if it's in the arch of my foot probably because I have been barefoot the majority of my life :thinking:

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Pleased to hear that the doc is giving more meds @DizzyBlue and hope they help.
I don't have children of my own so Haber never got into the baby talk, but do find that the children i have contact with seem to appreciate being spoken to like an adult.
And definitely think that learning a second language at a young age is a bonus
As for going barefoot l haven't been wearing shoes much since moving here 2 yrs ago, and although somewhat more cautious walking in the grass since we found the little adders still loves the feel of grass between the toes and a toenail that got damaged in the 80s has now grown back to be straight rather than twisted!

Take care folks.

Evening all, not much to add except to agree that the peeling booties are funky. You don't think anything of it except when you start to resemble a reptile shedding its skin :biggrin: . My hubby got given a couple of packs by a colleague so we both sat watching tv with them on ages ago. I love peeling sunburn, so I was in my element!

Ararajuba

Large adders filled with venom can be very dangerous, though I don't think a small one would pose all that much of a risk unless you were allergic, and would probably have trouble injecting venom at all unless it got you on the finger or toe. One of my brothers nearly died from an adder bite in his teens (a particularly large venom-filled specimen), but this was because the silly (better not say that word) had no more sense than to pick the thing up and aggravate it, when it was minding its own business in the long grass. Not a very good decision! He can't straighten that arm fully to this day, around 40 years later.

I suspect there are worse snakes lurking around here than adders, but snakes of all kinds seem very shy of people and we seldom see any. I always wear boots and thick gloves when gardening though, scorpions (and biting ants that have given me some nasty swollen fingers etc in the past), being more of an everyday risk than snakes. Lizards we have in plenty, including a number of geckos hiding in the house, which are very elusive little things and more or less impossible to catch and evict without appropriate equipment, so we have decided they may as well be members of our household, and given names to the ones we see most often. We've been plagued by meal moths lately - I suspect there would be a lot more of them getting into our dried food supplies if not for our little lizard guests!

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Our grass snake originally made itself known by sunbathing on the shed roof, then another time we surprised one another and it flopped down about 3 feet away, only to slither off behind (into) the log pile. I have recently shifted the remains of that log pile to make way for the next delivery and found two shed snakeskins underneath it., both dry and fragile so I was unable to stretch them out without breaking them. In all I found 4 shed snakeskins this year!

Attachments

Top Bottom