1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friday 14th September

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nigalius, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Morning All...

Its high cloud here with perhaps some light rain this morning and then could well be some sun in the arvo. It was 15.2 when I came in here so gave the heating a kick to get it up to 18c. Its a bit blustery here and will be for at least 10 days according to the forecast but hope there is no sign of Florence or the other hurricane. I feel so sorry for those in the affected parts of US.

Nacho and Roxy are well and had their pine nuts, toast will come when I make mine in about half hour. One of the Coal Tits have just come down to feed on the fat balls outside. I now know there is defo at least 3 of them. Its surprising how the word (tweet) spreads among the birds.

This morning I intend to do a bit of tidying outside with some old veg plants and pull them up then give the soil a last feed before winter. I have some runner beans to pick, might have some today and still loads of French beans hanging there. There are loads of spuds still in one of the big pots all covered by compost so plenty of fresh food to get through yet. I also think a neighbour is going to Tesco today so i'll cadge a lift for any odds and sods I might want. I often say that though but come out with several bags of things I dont need. But I am like a squirrel and like to store things.

Have a Great Friday Everyone

Cheers

Nigel

[​IMG]

DizzyBlue and dianaT like this.
  2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Good morning Nigel and everyone, a cloudy one here doubt it will be sunny like yesterday which was a glorious day.
    I too feel for those poor folk in South Carolina & surrounding areas, where on earth do they all go, how do they manage their pets and what about farm animals! Then there's is another large hurricane gathering over by the Philippines too. We are lucky we do not suffer from such severe weather .

Well enjoy the day everyone.

Heather2131 likes this.
  3. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

Morning all
    Glad its Friday
    Watched a good film lastnight - Atonement, it was very good, I think a takeaway and movie will be on the cards tonight.

Unfortunately I think my betta fish may be dying now, hes got dropsy again so maybe its organ failure, he did get dropsy and he managed to recover and go back to normal but hes all swelled up and pineconing and laying on the plants again, poor guy :( the neon tetras in the tank are fine and doing well

dianaT likes this.
  4. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

oh gosh, nearly in tears here. Was in the garden and heard a commotion and looked to see a Sparrow Hawk had a blackbird in its clutches, tried to get it to go without but it took it cheeping. :emoji_cry: I hate nature sometimes, it's cruel. Flaming loads of ruddy pigeons here, have had a good year for baby Blackbirds and then this.

Are there any steps to cull these predators. Wished I had taken the broom to it now.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  5. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

o that is sad. I was thrilled to see a sparrow hawk in our garden but was less thrilled for my sparrow population although I did not see any taken. nature is upsetting.
    just got back from vet with Nelly dog. so now hitting pain meds as really hurting but do not have to do much else today thankfully.
    just a booster and a quick check over for Nell, thankfully got a sensible vet so she took my word for it that Nells teeth and ears did not need checking as she is very frightened at vets so I prefer to do the checks I can do at home myself and just want the things like heart listened to done by vet to minimise her stress. vet tried to bribe her with a treat, Nell did her normal trick of reluctantly taking it then spitting it out as vet turned away! did get her weight checked which is handy, 32.7kg so just over 5 stone. about ideal for her. we were very lucky as no other dogs in waiting room which kept matters calmer. hopefully that will be it for vet for year.
    Nell had a dental stick chew treat when we got home and is now fast asleep- exhausted from vet visit. always makes me laugh, she always wags tail all the way home from vet, so relieved to be out!

dianaT likes this.
  6. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Thankfully.......I grew up in a world where common sense and basic education was the norm.....now they have “lifestyle bloggers” who, if this example is anything to go by, seem to know very little.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...pers-vegetable-different-stages-ripeness.html

You have to laugh!

Mind you there were some chumps around back then too.....It takes me back to a childhood holiday...we were staying on a working dairy farm in South Devon..... the farmers wife had brought in a jug of fresh (I.e.still warm from the cow) milk..... and was talking to young couple who were also staying there, about the calves....man says oh I didn’t know cows had to calf before they could give milk....... farmers wife retorts well your wife didn’t produce milk before she had your baby did she?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    dianaT and DizzyBlue like this.
  7. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Afternoon all
    Ruddy chilly over here so much for the autumn sunshine its sitting at about 12 degrees :(
    Debating if I need to hibernate until the next batch of warm weather comes through!
    I can feel the call of the winter food coming to mind lovely hot stews with dumplings hmmmm and a couple for afters ie not in the stew but put on a plate with golden syrup dribbled on top :p
    Whatever your up to today stay safe :)

dianaT likes this.
  8. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

I am sorry to hear that Heather, sending you a well needed hug. I hope he pulls through xx

Heather2131 likes this.
  9. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

It is Friday so it was clean out Day, Roy's only just finished everything and we started morning, I help him with the bowls. Roy does spot cleans everyday and full clean out every Friday. It takes a while with all my lot. Elsie was hanging on me like anything. I don't know why. I was giving her head rubs to soothe her. Roy said she is fine she is milking it. Now she has fallen asleep next to my leg. Shevis totally cute when she sleeps.

10. Heather2131

Just gave Fern her first groom, totally regret it, she looked lush and fluffy before but it was starting to matt and the weather is getting wet which means she'll be getting muddy!
    Ah it will grow back :( haha

11. Nigalius

Back from Tesco now and bought something I never thought I would buy. Vegetarian Chicken slices. That is exactly what it says on the packet. Surely those words contradict themselves. I just want to see what they are like but being a spicy food lover I doubt they will do much to excite me. I will say what I think of them later or in the morning. I will just eat them as they are, no bread or coleslaw.

12. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I can never understand why some vegetarian food is made to look like 'meat' equivalent!

TomsMum likes this.
  13. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Good to see today out of the way, it was the funeral today. Nice service though.

Thought about vegetarian meat options but don't most of them come from Soya? Jury is out on this IMHO.

TomsMum likes this.
  14. Heather2131

15. Heather2131

If you wanna try a vegetarian alternative @Nigalius get the southern fried bites made by quorn, they're spot on and a bit spicy.

I see your point Diana but even real meat doesnt look like the real thing, its so processed you wouldnt even know it came off an animal

I do the lunch club at the nursery for the children who stay all day, they sit and talk about cute baby cows and baby pigs, just today we were talking about the trip we went on to a local farm place where you can feed a baby lamb and hold a chick etc. "I love baby animals" said one whilst tucking into a ham sandwich, they're only 3 so they dont realise what they are eating but I imagine they'd be horrified if they knew

16. Nigalius

I will try that next time I am in Tesco and have made a note to remind me. I'll report back to what I think. Tnx

Heather2131 likes this.
  17. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

@Nigalius ... I would advise against making too many dietary changes away from what you normally eat at the moment...perhaps wait until you have completed your treatment before venturing into the world of mycoproteins, just incase you may have some adverse reaction to it.

dianaT, Rain and Nigalius like this.
  18. Heather2131

I dont think Nigel is swapping out meat for fake meat, I think hes just curious about it (correct me if im wrong)

19. Nigalius

Thats a point, had not thought that I want my body to be working on auto pilot, just as it has always been. Perhaps a dietary change could play around with my white blood cells for instance. The Chicken that I Vegi chicken that I had was just a one off to see what it was like but the Southern fried bites that @Heather2131 suggested can be another one off. But wont make any major changes until treatment has finished.

20. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

seems to me a lot of vegetarian food is very highly processed. I like vegetarian food but I am not a fan of heavily processed junk food which a lot of it is!
    vegetarian food like lasagne, bean burgers, mushroom pate , vegetable stews/soups and stuff like that is wonderful. real food that showcases the veg.

dianaT and TomsMum like this.