Friday 11th June 2021

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Morning peeps
Really humid but there is a breeze ... It's just a hit sticky breeze though.
Cloudy so perhaps rain to come later.
Need to pop to the local hardware store as need some wood batons to drill holes in ... All my bee boxes are full and learned last year they prefer natural wood with holes in hadn't realised until I read up that bamboo ones are not good for them as they harbour mites ... Not sure why natural wood doesn't hey ho off cuts of wood to correct depth home drilled holes are cheaper anyway and my current one is full. I have one the entire length of under the kitchen window sill it's dry it's sheltered and it's not in my way :) great all eat around.
Hmmmm fish and chips delivery day today may get some myself for a change
Whatever your up to today stay safe and have a great day.

Beaky

Good morning @DizzyBlue , cloudy and cooler today but warm enough. Spent time with our former African Grey yesterday who now resides with our daughter. It is like having grandchildren where you can enjoy them but give back when you have had enough or want nappies changed !!
Our eldest daughter had the German Pfizer jab yesterday, she said shortly afterwards she found herself goose stepping around and wanting to invade Poland..
Been done our weekly shop at Sainsburys, we were in exactly on 7am and the only ones there for the first 10 mins, except the staff of course.
Then called in at B&Q for bug spray, Eileen accidently spayed a bumble bee yesterday and I had to hold its little wings and wash off its bumbles..
This morning I will mostly be doing nothing again and doing same such things later today, so that's nice..
I think it may be the tablets
@DizzyBlue do you mean beehives or bee shelters or am I on the wrong track altogether
Have a great day everyone..

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning everyone, another dull drizzly one here whether we shall get the nice weather forecast from tomorrow is anyones guess. The rain has encouraged the runner beans to grow anyway.
I have got as far as getting the vacuum out the under stairs cupboard then though it much better to sit down and look on forum! No cleaning fairy here now as daughter went home at the weekend and it's a bit unkind to leave it until her proposed next visit in August :rolleyes:

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
@Beaky My sister have bee hives (apiaries) she has 15 colonies. I cater for the solitary bees what don't live in a swarm like the red mining bees they're very gentle and docile. The use the bee nest boxes to lay a single egg and seal up the entrance having given it enough food stored in the chamber to feed it until it matures and then breaks its way out and hey presto next generation :).
The leaf cutting bee's are a bit stranger they seal the entrance and the final thing they put on the end is a perfect semicircle of usually something like a rose leaf that they cut to the correct dimensions and glue in place.
Really fascinating watching them :)

Beaky

fantastic, i had no idea about all this, i am deffo going to make a start on my own bee stuff. and drill a load of holes in a deep pine plank I Have, to those dimensions, not sure what aspect to put it up at but s/westerly with some cover sounds okay..

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I have mine to the sunrise as much as possible but it does get the sun for the vast majority of the day @Beaky and it's sheltered so during the winter they don't get hammered by rain and ice. Also hence my choice of height to save from ground frost
Checking on the compass says mine are South East facing... not that I checked it when I put them up was just a spare wall that gets nice and warm but is sheltered unused part of garden
Seems to work for them any my bee area gets busier each year that passes so happy days. Don't be shocked if this year you only get a couple investigating or no take up at all next year you will my bee area started becoming busy about a month ago they seek out and then start filling up so may take a while till some find your haven and take up the offer :)

Top Bottom