1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freakout, Help

Discussion in 'Food And Diet' started by Yellowchickenparrot, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

So my massive battle getting Luna to eat a fairly rounded diet has been a struggle but I'm chuffed to say I'm nearly at the end of my bag of Harrison's pellets. I just read the packet and it says it's not recommended to feed or supplement with vitamins or any other bird or animal food products?????!!!!!! Suplmentation should be no more than 10% and fruits and vegetables should be offered in small quantities?? What the hell ?

First up I don't feed this as her main food or the amount they say she should have a day, I give a few balls almost every day and second I spend flipping loads of time and money buying fruit and vegetables, sprouting etc and I feed other bird food which is not recommended?? She has seed mix sometimes

2. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

each to their own but I am not a fan of pelleted food as main diet. food for a parrot is a lot more then nutrition, it is enrichment, enjoyment, surprises. a dish of pellets vs the vaste and varied fare the natural world can supply? I know what I would prefer. I do sometimes get a bag of harrisons as Sophie likes a few as a variety thing but I would not feed her the way they recommend. I do not think it is fair to an intelligent species that gets so much pleasure from foraging for interesting food- and indeed sometimes exerting their freedom of choice and rejecting something they do not fancy that day.

3. Bradders

Bradders Parrot Power! Staff Member Moderator

I think you know your bird best. Ruby has mainly Harrison’s but is offered fruit and veg too and has Tidymix for foraging. She’s doing ok on it. One thing we can’t control is what our birds will actually eat! Most of it ends on the cage floor anyway! I think there are birds out there on awful diets that include processed foods meant for humans so as long as what you give your birds is high quality seed/pellets with fresh fruit and veg then in my opinion it doesn’t matter about the ratio. And don’t get me started on some pets shops and the ‘parrot foof’ they offer, it’s only fit for the bin!

4. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Don’t take any notice of the Harrisons instructions... feed as much fresh food as you can, as vitamins and minerals in natural form are better! You probably don’t need an actual vitamin supplement on top...although I do have some in, in case mine are having a picky week! I feed Chiko Ammie, lots of fresh stuff, some lower fat content seed mix, like Delinature 61, and he has around 10 Harrisons a day and 2 power treats, plus the occasional nut.... of course a grey can have higher fat content than an Ammie. My Charlie conure is 30 and has always had a seed diet, as pellets weren’t around back when he first was.
    I believe in birds having a large variety of things ...if you can put in the time and effort to prepare and offer that’s great....pellets are an alternative as they are supposedly balanced.....but I won’t rely on them solely, because I really don’t like some of the contents such as Soy and the artificial vitamins. Vets love telling us to use pellets, cos they think we’re all daft and only buy the rubbish pet store so called parrot mix.

Bradders, Ararajuba and Rain like this.
  5. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

An observation: Less "supplemental" foods in diet = More pellets consumed and sold = More $ for pellet producing company.

It's therefore not really too surprising that they should print this kind of self-serving advice on their packets. The fact that the company will very obviously make more money if their advice is followed to the letter gives them an obvious motivation for dishing it out, and is the kind of thing you need to take into account when forming your judgement about what to do. Pellets are for most keepers a more convienent way to try to keep the bird healthy and well nourished than feeding all-natural foods, not actually a better way, whatever the claims of manufacturers.

Obviously captive birds cannot fly around to find their preferred food sources, and the variety of fresh food and nuts/seeds available in the shops (especially in temperate countries) is much more restricted than what they naturally eat, and has a different nutritional balance, which may combine to leave them nutritionally deficient. Most keepers don't have the time or inclination to give their birds the widest possible range of fresh foods either, and tend to stick to a few tried and trusted favourites, which may exacerbate the problem. Pellets aim to be a nutritionally complete food source which are more convenient (and usually cheaper) to feed than giving the widest possible variety of fresh foods, but have their own problems: they may be deficient in important phytochemicals necessary to long-term health found in fresh foods; they are quite far removed from anything the birds eat in the wild (parrots do not naturally eat much corn, or any soy!); they are dull for the bird; and they may be nutritionally unbalanced themselves, for instance due to containing too much protein.

TomsMum and sunnyring like this.
  6. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

I consider the instructions 'made for idiots', people who do not know any better. Fat chance getting Roo to eat the 80% pellets per day that the AV wants but she is doing not so bad with the fresh. Calmly carry on, you're doing alright.

Bradders, Rain and TomsMum like this.
  7. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Thanks for clearing that up guys I thought it might have been a marketing ploy, yes I just give about 5 bits a day and she seems to like them, and I make a massive effort to feed fruit and vegetables every day

plumsmum, TomsMum and Bradders like this.