1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foaming At The Mouth

Discussion in 'Health' started by Dell27, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Dell27

Dell27 Regular Member

Hi,
    A friend of mine has sent me a message saying her African grey has a foam like substance coming from the nose and mouth,other than this he seems ok.
    Needless to say i have told her he needs to see a vet and to keep him warm until she can get him in to the vet. She is taking him to the vets tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone else had ever encountered this and what it might be as I am concerned about him being untreated until tomorrow.
    Thanks in advance Donna

pepsirat likes this.
  2. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Is there not an emergency vet?
    Not many members will be on till the morning, hopefully someone will be on in a couple of hours to give advice

3. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hi @Dell27 Goodness me I do hope your friends grey is all right please let us know.

4. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi Donna, this isn't something I've come across, and would recommend vet's ASAP, as I'm thinking infection or blockage as possible causes.
    Is the bird eating and drinking OK, and are the droppings normal?
    Has he injested something he shouldn't...did it come on suddenly?
    Please keep us updated.

Have just discussed this with DizzyBlue, and she says the symptomsmay indicate the bird's system "overloading" and it needs to be seen by the vet as an emergency.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  5. Dell27

Dell27 Regular Member

Thank you all for your replies. I have been anxiously waiting for news myself. Apparently late last night someone took her a nebulizer with some ventolin and some guardian Angel suppliment, he was nebulized sneezed quite a lot but seems to be back to his normal self today. I have told her to get him to vets today but she doesn't seem to think it's necessary now.
    I hope she is right I'm still concerned but I can't convince her. I will let you know if there is any change x

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  6. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

this may be a sign of a crop infection and when the grey regurgitated it brought up the mix with bubbles so I would give strong advice that this bird needs to be checked over by an avian vet

7. TomsMum

He still needs to see a vet......and it isn't good to self medicate with something like ventolin.
    If they want to,use the nebuliser it is better to use diluted F10 (not the one with the cleaning agent in though)

8. Dell27

Dell27 Regular Member

Thanks Michael, I don't know if you have seen my last post. I think we posted at the same time. I have urged her to take him to the vets but she thinks he is ok now, I just hope she reconsiders

dianaT and TomsMum like this.
  9. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I have come across this reaction in a local kept bird the contents of the crop was causing the food taken to foment and there for causing gasses that only appeared when the bird regurgitated. the crop was flushed plus a course of antibacterial and no problem since and that was a male grey that was 12 years old.

Dell27 likes this.
  10. Dell27

Dell27 Regular Member

I agree TomsMum but I can only offer her advice and hope she listens. Who ever came out to her seems quite knowledgeable and it seems to have done the trick but I can't seem to get over to her the importance of getting him checked out by a vet.

TomsMum likes this.
  11. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thank you for letting us know. You have advised best you can and she will do what she will do.
    Keep us updated though won't you.:thumbsup:

12. TomsMum

Well done Donna, all any of us can do is to try to give as best advice as we can xx

13. Dell27

Dell27 Regular Member

Thanks everyone I Will keep you updated x

14. Kim

Kim Guest

Thanks for the update, let's hope the treatment given has provided long term relief.

15. pepsirat

pepsirat Regular Member

Hope the little fella is ok.

Kim likes this.
  16. jaspers mum

jaspers mum Regular Member

Nebulizing can help treat symptoms, but not cause. I don't know what ventolin is, I hope this bird's ok :(

17. Dell27

Dell27 Regular Member

Louie is doing well and hasn't had any further problems the nebulizer seems to have worked. I personally would have had him checked out with a vet but he is not mine, she has promised me if it happens again she will take him to be checked out. Main thing is he is doing well now.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

dianaT and TomsMum like this.
  18. Kerin

Kerin Regular Member

Glad to hear Louie is ok, and also glad to hear she has agreed with you about the vet if it happens again. :)

Dell27 likes this.
  19. Lou

Lou Regular Member

well that's good fingers crossed he will be ok x

Dell27 likes this.