Flight cage/avairy

Tonifrax

Hi,
I'd really like to build Ollie a flight cage/avairy so that he can get outside to spread his wings when the weather is nice. Could anyone recommend any companies where I could buy panels/mesh/etc

Tonifrax

Thanks I will check out Rosemead. We were considering making our own as well just wondering if someone can give me an idea of what materials to use so that it is safe?

Scott199

For outside ?

your going to need some kind of galvanised wire, but you will need to check on how to prepare it for birds, I’ve read a few wash in vinegar and leave a week or two before putting birds in but others here can confirm this better.

or in an ideal world stainless mesh but that’s not cheap.

if he’s going to be out for some time you also may want to think about double mesh, so an inner layer and outer layer to stop predators getting little toes and things that the bird could stick through, the outside could be any kind of mesh as it theory the bird could never touch it.

then you also have to consider the timber and how it’s treated.

ive thought about this and if it was me although expensive the Rosemead stuff is ally, so won’t rust, never needs to be treated and is just ready to use and safe.

I know others here have outside flights so I’m sure they can give better advise than me.

Tonifrax

Yeah for outside! I'll always be in it with him. I dont intend to leave him outside in it alone. I only have a small garden so building it in my parents grass field would be better and its in the country so nice clean fresh air for him. We would only be using it when visiting for the day so ill be with him the whole time hes outside

Scott199

Yeah for outside! I'll always be in it with him. I dont intend to leave him outside in it alone. I only have a small garden so building it in my parents grass field would be better and its in the country so nice clean fresh air for him. We would only be using it when visiting for the day so ill be with him the whole time hes outside
Just to be careful, only takes a second or two for a hawk or such to take a fancy on a bird sat next n his/cage bars

CaptainHowdy

Outside you can buy ready made panels or have rosemead make you one.

Make sure you have a porch system on it. Also double mesh it. Outside mesh should by 1/4 by 1/4 inch mesh to stop rodents. Have the roof at least half covered if not fully. To stop wild bird droppings and bad weather. Floor I would advise concrete to stop rodents digging in or the bird picking up nasties from the ground.

Top Bottom